Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sloaneranger37
    • By Sloaneranger37 19th Mar 17, 6:04 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sloaneranger37
    High Earth Loop Impedance Reading
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:04 PM
    High Earth Loop Impedance Reading 19th Mar 17 at 6:04 PM
    Hi there

I recently arranged for British Gas to come and replace my old boiler. As part of the pre installation process they did some electrical testing and found I have a high earth loop impedance reading on my electrics (approx 11.5 - apparently it should be below 0.8 for a TN-S system which I understand I have). BG won't go ahead with the installation until this is resolved and advised me to contact UK Power Networks and get them to take a look.

UKPN came out today and did some tests. They confirmed the earth loop impedance reading as fluctuating between 6 and 11.5. The main earth in my house is clamped to an old pipe and the UKPN guy seemed to think that the pipe may have degraded causing the earth loop impedance to increase. His advice was that it isn't UKPN's problem and I needed to get an electrician out to either install an earth spike or to potentially have my system converted (from other stuff I've read online I am guessing this would be to PME but he didn't actually mention this).

Just wondered if anyone had been in the same situation and if anyone knew:

Is it right that this is my responsibility rather than UKPN's?

Are the two options he told me the best available? I'm in central London with not much outside space so I'm guessing mucking around with sticking an earth spike in the ground will be difficult.

Any cost issues with either of the options?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Page 1
    • brightontraveller
    • By brightontraveller 20th Mar 17, 2:55 AM
    • 1,284 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    brightontraveller
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:55 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:55 AM
    Hi there

I recently arranged for British Gas to come and replace my old boiler. As part of the pre installation process they did some electrical testing and found I have a high earth loop impedance reading on my electrics (approx 11.5 - apparently it should be below 0.8 for a TN-S system which I understand I have). BG won't go ahead with the installation until this is resolved and advised me to contact UK Power Networks and get them to take a look.

UKPN came out today and did some tests. They confirmed the earth loop impedance reading as fluctuating between 6 and 11.5. The main earth in my house is clamped to an old pipe and the UKPN guy seemed to think that the pipe may have degraded causing the earth loop impedance to increase. His advice was that it isn't UKPN's problem and I needed to get an electrician out to either install an earth spike or to potentially have my system converted (from other stuff I've read online I am guessing this would be to PME but he didn't actually mention this).

Just wondered if anyone had been in the same situation and if anyone knew:

Is it right that this is my responsibility rather than UKPN's?

Are the two options he told me the best available? I'm in central London with not much outside space so I'm guessing mucking around with sticking an earth spike in the ground will be difficult.

Any cost issues with either of the options?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Originally posted by Sloaneranger37
    Something sounds bull not sure if it’s the bit about BG doing test , type of existing earthing, UKPN response? Whatever electrical system (earthing) you are supplied is suppliers duty too maintain it at no cost to you.?
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 20th Mar 17, 8:38 AM
    • 577 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:38 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:38 AM
    The conversion will to PME. The DNO don't have to prove you with an earth unless they want to and these days that will mean paying. A local electrician should be able to give advice whether ground conditions in your area make PME or providing a local earth (via an earth stake) a better option. Both are safe if done correctly.
    • Sloaneranger37
    • By Sloaneranger37 20th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sloaneranger37
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    Thanks both - I have a TN-S earthing system, main earth is clamped to the outside of the incoming supply. UKPN did some tests, cleaned and refitted the earth clamp, did some more tests (same result of 6-11.5 ohms) and then just told me it was an "inadequate earth" which I would need to get my own electrician to sort out.

Sounds like as it's the DNO's (UKPN) earth, they have to maintain it and the guy who came out yesterday just tried to feed me some BS about it not being their responsibility?

I have a local electrician coming out this week anyway so will report back on his advice too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,997Posts Today

7,559Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin