Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 19th Mar 17, 6:01 PM
    • 2,219Posts
    • 343Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Diesel cars & tax
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:01 PM
    Diesel cars & tax 19th Mar 17 at 6:01 PM
    We've been looking at diesel cars as a replacement for my wife's car which is going to be going one way or another.

I know that the cars i'm looking at the tax on the diesels are cheaper than on their petrol equivalents.

However i was talking about this in just general chit-chat with someone at work & they said to be careful as they're changing the tax on diesel cars apparently & it's going to increase.

If it makes a difference then we'll be looking at a diesel car made 2000-2004, so not particularly new.

Is what my workmate said correct, if so then what's the change? Or is it only for new diesels?

Page 1
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 19th Mar 17, 6:09 PM
    • 2,250 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:09 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:09 PM
    He is probably thinking about the new VED regime that starts in 1st April 2017: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-vehicle-tax-rates-from-1-april-2017, however this is only for vehicles registered from that date and is not retrospective.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 19th Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    He is probably thinking about the new VED regime that starts in 1st April 2017: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-vehicle-tax-rates-from-1-april-2017, however this is only for vehicles registered from that date and is not retrospective.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    Ahh yes it will be since he mentioned April of this year.

Thanks.

• Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 20th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 4,181 Posts
    • 2,319 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    An older diesel may be subject to charges to enter cities like London though, depending on model

Do remember as well diesels are best where there are regular long runs, if the car is doing 5000 miles a year say, petrol would be better
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 20th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    An older diesel may be subject to charges to enter cities like London though, depending on model

Do remember as well diesels are best where there are regular long runs, if the car is doing 5000 miles a year say, petrol would be better
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    Thanks.

I owned a few diesels before actually on my 6k per year & they did me very well actually. Better than any petrols ive had to be honest since they were cheaper.

• molerat
    • By molerat 20th Mar 17, 6:04 PM
    • 16,464 Posts
    • 10,638 Thanks
    molerat
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:04 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:04 PM
    Thanks.

I owned a few diesels before actually on my 6k per year & they did me very well actually. Better than any petrols ive had to be honest since they were cheaper.

Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    That was old school diesels. Newer ones with DPFs etc need regular long runs.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 20th Mar 17, 6:30 PM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:30 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 6:30 PM
    That was old school diesels. Newer ones with DPFs etc need regular long runs.
    Originally posted by molerat
    True.

That's why i'm looking at diesel's that don't have DPFs

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,517Posts Today

6,287Users online

Martin's Twitter