Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jennlx
    • By jennlx 19th Mar 17, 5:41 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 4Thanks
    jennlx
    Parking Fine....appeal? Or not bother?
    • 19th Mar 17, 5:41 PM
    Parking Fine....appeal? Or not bother? 19th Mar 17 at 5:41 PM
    My flat carpark is Spring Parking managed. We have a permit, as a resident, sent to us by the flat management company. We put our car through the carwash, and when we collected it realised that the parking permit was gone (it was not a local carwash, so think it fell down the dashboard rather than was stolen). I intended to apply for a new permit, but placed a visitors parking permit on my car until such a time as we got a new permit. The visitors permit (I didnt realise) expires at 7pm, and we got a ticket at 8pm from Spring Parking. I wrote to them and explained that we *are* permit holders, and sent the letter confirming this from the property management company, but had misplaced our permit (and by the way, can they tell me how to do this?). No response for almost a week, then I chased and got a standard, fine stands, cough up reply. They ignored the part about telling me how to get a new permit. It's £55 or £90 if not paid in the next few days. Should I bother appealing to POPLA? They don't often seem to favour the driver very often...

At any rate, I'm not going to bother replacing the permit (as is probably a charge) and will park on the street from now on as have no interest in lining their pockets any further.

Thanks in advance!

"Thank you for your representation you made on receiving a Parking Charge Notice with the above reference number.

We have considered everything on your letter including any evidence enclosed but do not feel that you have made grounds for cancelling the Parking Charge Notice and as such payment remains due.

Your vehicle was parked on our client’s property which is private land, not council owned. As you can see from the photographs provided, your vehicle was parked WITH NO VALID PERMIT DISPLAYED AS THE PERMITS ARE VALID TILL 7PM, AND YOUR CAR WAS TICKETED AT 8:04."
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Mar 17, 6:16 PM
    • 45,128 Posts
    • 57,771 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:16 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:16 PM
    My flat carpark is Spring Parking managed
    Good, you will win at POPLA then.

Should I bother appealing to POPLA? They don't often seem to favour the driver very often..
    Really? We never lose v small firms like Spring Parking, very easy to beat. Not sure why you think POPLA isn't worth trying when we have an overall 99% win rate here. We can count recent POPLA losses on one hand and not v a little trashy firm like Spring. I've beaten them myself for a friend and it was a cinch.

I wrote to them and explained that we *are* permit holders, and sent the letter confirming this from the property management company, but had misplaced our permit
    Did you say 'we' and avoided identifying the driver? Or 'I parked'?
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 19th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 38,521 Posts
    • 76,953 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    It is not a fine.

Your lease/AST trumps anything the parking scammers say. They cannot add on Ts and Cs to an existing agreement.

Please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES then construct your PoPLA appeal using the template appeal points from post 3 of said NEWBIES.

Show us your draft before submitting it. Don't rush it, but don't miss the appeal deadline. Please answer the very important question about whether you gave away the driver's identity.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • jennlx
    • By jennlx 19th Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jennlx
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    This is what I wrote:

"We had our car washed and when we collected the car, our residents parking permit was no longer there - I believe that it was knocked and so fell down the gap at the front of the vehicle. I therefore used the visitors permit as a temporary measure only until we arranged a replacement permit. Please also advise how to do this.

I understand that your purpose is to avoid non-permit holders from parking in the car park, but as this is not the case in this situation, please cancel the ticket."

Excellent, good news (hopefully!) - I will write up the letter tonight! I just googled about POPLA and it seemed that they refused quite a few appeals, so presumed. I will be delighted if this works!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Mar 17, 10:19 PM
    • 45,128 Posts
    • 57,771 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:19 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:19 PM
    Great, but it won't be a letter as such, not be posted with the form in the mail. This is done online to POPLA once it is ready.

Show us the draft first, based on the usual templates about no keeper liability (because happily, unless you ticked a box saying 'driver' you did not divulge the driver). You have not been served with a NTK so they can't hold you liable as keeper (unless you ticked a box about driver, as already said).

Also you need the point about 'dodgy signs' and 'no landowner authority' and 'the appellant has not been shown to be the individual liable' which are also templates in post #3 of the NEWBIES thread, already written and deliberately very long & detailed to see these scum firms off.

And I notice that they have also breached the BPA CoP by not offering a 40% discount (a small point but 60% of £90 is £54. They made the discount sum (bribe) £55 which exceeds the appropriate amount in the CoP.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 19-03-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,844Posts Today

8,575Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @EmmaDark30: @MartinSLewis off on holiday next month all paid for with free cash for switching bank accounts! Thank you!

• MSE weekly email: Big Energy Switch 7, £5 Next/Zara etc, buy euros now?, 10xNectar, 2for1 gardens, urgent easyjet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Follow Martin