Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • camberwelllad
    • By camberwelllad 19th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    camberwelllad
    Probate does anyone know of petition
    • 19th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    Probate does anyone know of petition 19th Mar 17 at 3:17 PM
    Hi there I listened with interest to the podcast Moneybox Live re probate and the tax that is coming our way - I think there was mention of a petition I couldn't find one - does anyone know where to petition against this please? I always don't understand how we can get such a quick change in the tax system - is there no way where any change has to be tested - it feels like living in domesday times where taxes arise to serve the interests of the few.
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 19th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    • 20,916 Posts
    • 11,996 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 19th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/188175
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 19th Mar 17, 7:29 PM
    • 1,524 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    polymaff
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:29 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:29 PM
    Thanks both.

It seems perverse, that a Government that demanded that Bank Charges should reflect the cost the bank was actually put to, should make this change.

Or is that too naive of me?
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 19th Mar 17, 8:10 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 3,075 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:10 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:10 PM
    The government would argue that as this has been introduced at the same time as the introduction of the primary residence nil rate band, so that the vast majority of people's estates affected by this increase will have far less tax, and this is a tax rather than a feee, to pay.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 19th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 7,145 Posts
    • 4,217 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    Petitions reaching the requisite number of signatures, may be discussed, but from what I have seen they are briefly discussed, by a small group of bored MPs, who then decide that there will be no action.

The government petition system is just something they use to make us believe we have a say, when we don't.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

500Posts Today

4,703Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • As I've said before - energy price cap sounds good, and will likely be popular, but there's a big risk of making th? https://t.co/ubeV9vnmU7

• Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Follow Martin