Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 19th Mar 17, 3:11 PM
    • 1,349Posts
    • 1,140Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Describing used clothes?
    • 19th Mar 17, 3:11 PM
    Describing used clothes? 19th Mar 17 at 3:11 PM
    Afternoon

Had a bit of a spring clear out and have about 15 tops and 5 pairs of trousers jeans that I want to try and get some money for on Ebay. Plan is to sell as a job lot as I dont want 20 trips to the post office.

Appreciate with many budget clothes shops around I am not going to get much, but its worth a go as the listing will be cheap/free.

How should I describe? I want to be totally transparant as some have been worn only a couple of times but some a little more. I am minded to just say "see photos for condition". Am wary that if i try and list the defects I might miss something, and as I could just see disputes being settled on the side of the buyer. If I just say "Used, see photos for condition" could there be any comebacks?
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 19th Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    • 58,870 Posts
    • 41,697 Thanks
    soolin
    • 19th Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    Afternoon

Had a bit of a spring clear out and have about 15 tops and 5 pairs of trousers jeans that I want to try and get some money for on Ebay. Plan is to sell as a job lot as I dont want 20 trips to the post office.

Appreciate with many budget clothes shops around I am not going to get much, but its worth a go as the listing will be cheap/free.

How should I describe? I want to be totally transparant as some have been worn only a couple of times but some a little more. I am minded to just say "see photos for condition". Am wary that if i try and list the defects I might miss something, and as I could just see disputes being settled on the side of the buyer. If I just say "Used, see photos for condition" could there be any comebacks?
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    Yes, 'see photos for condition' will be an almost automatic win for a buyer as it is meaningless.

Firstly though, are you actually likely to get anything for the clothes, might you get more from one of those 40p a kg places? Secondly, watch your postage as a large amount of clothes can be surprisingly expensive to send and might outweigh the value of the clothes. If postage is going to cost you say £8 then you also need to factor in ebay and paypal charges which could easily add a further £1.50 on top of just the postage costs and that's before any packaging you buy.

Old clothes are not a good seller, and if you do list you will need to give a description of each and every piece including measurements (sizes are usually not good enough) otherwise you face having to pay both the outward postage cost and the return postage cost if buyer complains.

Look at Facebook selling pages, someone might give you a few pounds if you are lucky, although most old clothes tend to end up on the 'free to anyone who can collect' pages unless they are in very good condition or have a good label (not high street)
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 19th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 19th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    Ok cheers.

Might give the tops to charity and just list the jeans will full descriptions as they have a bit of value.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 19th Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    • 58,870 Posts
    • 41,697 Thanks
    soolin
    • 19th Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    Ok cheers.

Might give the tops to charity and just list the jeans will full descriptions as they have a bit of value.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    It's always worth spending a little time doing a search on ebay to see what similar items have sold. Look at 'completed listings though, not current listings. Just search for your brand and see what sort of prices the jeans fetch.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 19th Mar 17, 7:31 PM
    • 4,301 Posts
    • 3,709 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:31 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:31 PM
    Job lot of used clothes won't sell for anything unless they are designer. Used clothes sell as separates depending on the brand and size.

A lot of tops will go as large letters so you can just print out the postage and post in the letter box. As above check for sold prices. That is not always a good guide though as you never know what people have missed the first time round and willing to pay (sometimes more than the original price) for the second time around. Its really unpredictable. If you can list them buy it now and leave them on for a few months there is a good chance they will sell eventually.
    • Nesty
    • By Nesty 19th Mar 17, 7:35 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Nesty
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:35 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:35 PM
    I agree. New clothes are a pain selling, let alone 2nd hand.

Perhaps others have had better experiences before in this sector?

I tried this last year for my partner. In the end now. I just give the clothes to charity. Jeans it's always £3.95 recorded + ebay fees on top. Unless they like brand new or sought after make, it's difficult to sell for more then 99p in some cases!

Then there is when they don't fit, as remember everyone thinks they are a size 10! Then they make up some rubbish it wasn't as described then thus pushing the return postage on to you. Probably end up losing money!
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 20th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    • 737 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    jon81uk
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    Jeans it's always £3.95 recorded + ebay fees on top. Unless they like brand new or sought after make, it's difficult to sell for more then 99p in some cases!
    Originally posted by Nesty
    I don't bother with recorded post unless its likely to sell for over £20, if I'm starting the item at 99p then I set postage at £3 charge on eBay and then use £2.80 second class small parcel. I only go up to signed for if I'm starting bidding at £20, then I charge the buyer £4.

Most t-shirts will fit large letter, so its £1.20 second class or £1.27 first, so I list with a charge around £1.30.

But yes clothing sales are hit and miss, a good brand such as adidas or levi will sell, something unknown just won't.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 20th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    • 15,012 Posts
    • 20,420 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    I buy bundles of clothes on eBay. (I hate clothes shopping)

I buy bundles with a mixture of tops and trousers, about 15-20 items.

The ones that go for the most money have really good photos, then most importantly a list of every item with brand, size, and blemishes, and any key features.

Saying that, I tend to pay no more than £2 an item in total!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • cattie
    • By cattie 20th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 7,717 Posts
    • 5,241 Thanks
    cattie
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    I tried listing a joblot of bootleg jeans that no longer fitted me. Most were from Marks & Spencer & all in good condition. I think I started the bidding off at £4.99 but there were no takers so I donated them to the local hospice charity shop. I wouldn't bother listing clothes anymore unless it was something quite outstanding & not easily come by.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,675Posts Today

8,182Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin