Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Meka3256
    • By Meka3256 19th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Meka3256
    150k house budget - mortgage free in Scotland
    • 19th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    150k house budget - mortgage free in Scotland 19th Mar 17 at 2:51 PM
    Hi all,

I currently live in London, and have been on the property market since I was 24 years old. I feel incredibly fortunate to have bought my current house just before the area became popular, and so now have a lot of equity in my property. The result is, if I sold tomorrow I am likely to have 140-150k.

I am in my early 30s and I have decided that I want to leave London in the next couple of years and be mortgage free. I've spent a lot of time looking at where in the UK I would move, and have ultimately decided on Scotland. As I will be mortgage free, I have also decided to work slightly differently, so I will not be commuting.

However my question is where in Scotland? I have been researching a lot and I think somewhere like Peebles would be my ideal, but I can't get what i want without a mortgage. The Scottish borders, and places like Ayrshire would give me what I want from a mortgage free point of view, but I am not sure how I would feel about moving from London to such smaller communities. At least with Peebles (or somewhere similar), you have Edinburgh on your doorstep. Prestwick looks like an option, but then Lanarkshire gives me more for my money.

My requirements: I have no children so I'm not bothered about good schools, other than the fact they tend to indicate a nice area. I want 2 bedrooms, with a large kitchen and an office space (this could be a 3rd bedroom, or I can build an outside building). I'm not bothered about a lot of land, and don't want to be too remote - I'm fine living in a village as long as it's close to a large town with supermarkets. I will need fast internet as I will be working from home. I'm open to some work, but 150k is my max budget - I have extra savings for fees, moving costs etc, but no extra for renovations. I also need to be reasonably close to an airport as I have close family who live abroad, and I want to be able to visit them regularly. My final, slightly random requirement is that I don't like the snow. So whilst I've come to terms with the rain and dark i will encounter when I move, I don't want to be too far north and experience a lot of snow.

Has anyone done the move and have any suggestions based on their knowledge? Or anyone live in Scotland, and want to share the great place they live?
Page 2
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 20th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    Thanks everyone for the replies so far - some really helpful suggestions. Some places also that I hadn't thought of at all.

I do drive, so this does make me more flexible with the location.
    Originally posted by Meka3256
    Then I'd look at a big stretch of the East Coast from about Laurencekirk to Dunfermline. Get yourself up there for a long weekend and have a look to see what you fancy. It will get much more expensive as you approach Aberdeen to the North and Edinburgh to the South.

Coastal areas and fishing villages will have less snow than further inland. It's funny stuff though. In the 60s there was a spell with bad winters and weeks of snow. The trend ever since then has been reducing, with the odd year where there is a bit more. In general as has been said we get one or two days where there is snow and everybody moans. Mostly people still get to work (not such an issue if you're working at home) Shops still have stocks but it's sensible to have some dried foodstuff at home just in case.

The biggest disruption tends to be schools. Teachers often live a long way from the catchment area and the last thing schools want is a whole load of children stuck in school so they tend to close early and play it very safe. Again if you dont have school age children this wont affect you.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 20th Mar 17, 5:51 PM
    • 12,539 Posts
    • 34,267 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    And if the wee fishwife gets her way, it might well become a different country!

But seriously, regional variations are something to be celebrated. Just make sure you understand the implications before committing to such a major move, which may well mean renting first.

I live in a large county. Within it there are quite marked variations in climate and the way people interact. It's fair to say that many parts of it don't attract me at all, regardless of what the tourists may think. One has to live somewhere for a while to really understand how it feels 24/7/365.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Its a matter of opinion re "regional variations" imo - but what I do know is one probably has little (if any) inkling about them if having lived most of ones life in one region of the country.

So - I do see your point re renting some months first in another area of the country if possible if contemplating this.

As for the "wee fishwife" - I have a worse way of describing her - a LOT worse way of describing her and it aint a polite one. I've just self-censored my opinion of her...

I have come to realise since moving what you mean about the way people "interact" with each other. The thought had literally not crossed my mind that that might be different in a different area of the same country - but I do know what you mean now....

I have found personally that moving from one area of the country has pros and cons. The plus side is that going out for the day on one's own simply doesnt matter in some ways - as even a few hours out is very likely to involve having a long chat or two with total strangers about "anything and everything" all the way up to "putting the world to rights". I regard that as a plus - as we are rather "cooler" where I come from imo.

The downside imo is it drives me up the wall if people act like it's a different country - and some do....

It's swings and roundabouts/horses for courses imo on that one.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 20-03-2017 at 6:03 PM.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 20th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 8,738 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    Houses on schemes (=wot the Engerlish call council estates) in the Highlands go for about 80k.

Here's the view, March 2014, from one of mine:

That's a 3000ft+ Munro upper-left: 5 miles from Ben Nevis, 8 miles from Ski/Snowboarding centre (was there, watching local schoolkids having their skiing lessons, 2 weeks ago..)

Buy two, one for each foot!
    Last edited by theartfullodger; 20-03-2017 at 6:06 PM.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 20th Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 2,439 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    I know Peebles well and spend a lot of time there. Never been stuck for driving through the snow though. And it's not that bad!
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 20th Mar 17, 6:25 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    The downside imo is it drives me up the wall if people act like it's a different country - and some do....
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    To be fair, you live in Wales don't you!?
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 20th Mar 17, 6:26 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Houses on schemes (=wot the Engerlish call council estates) in the Highlands go for about 80k.

Here's the view, March 2014, from one of mine:

That's a 3000ft+ Munro upper-left: 5 miles from Ben Nevis, 8 miles from Ski/Snowboarding centre (was there, watching local schoolkids having their skiing lessons, 2 weeks ago..)

Buy two, one for each foot!
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    That's gorgeous! I don't suppose its a holiday let is it?
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 20th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    • 8,738 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    Nope, it's currently let to students: There are loads of holiday lets in the area (Fort William). But there is the rain & the midges....
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 20th Mar 17, 7:44 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Nope, it's currently let to students: There are loads of holiday lets in the area (Fort William). But there is the rain & the midges....
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    Oh I don't mind the rain, I live in Manchester! Shame, you'd have got yourself a booking.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    • 22,374 Posts
    • 87,006 Thanks
    Davesnave

I have come to realise since moving what you mean about the way people "interact" with each other. The thought had literally not crossed my mind that that might be different in a different area of the same country - but I do know what you mean now.....
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention

I actually said there are wide variations within the same county, albeit a large one, never mind nationally.

Someone who lives where I do will have very different day to day experiences compared with a resident of Totnes.

This is why it's important to consider all aspects of life, not just the local microclimate or the distance to the nearest airport.
    Working subliminally.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 20th Mar 17, 9:03 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 2,439 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58504189.html
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65058509.html
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46913658.html
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46622004.html
    • gld73
    • By gld73 20th Mar 17, 10:11 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    gld73
    Towns across the central belt tend to have the best travel connections as you can easily get to Edinburgh and Glasgow. However, Inverness airport has daily BA and KLM flights connecting to Heathrow and Amsterdam respectively, so you can readily access anywhere from there too. Inverness is a city but more like a big town - everything you need there, without being too big. There are towns and villages within quick and easy striking distance if you don't fancy Inverness itself; Dingwall, Nairn, Beauly for example.

High ground gets snow, but the city itself doesn't get much as it's at sea level.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

824Posts Today

7,200Users online

Martin's Twitter