Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 19th Mar 17, 12:57 PM
    • 1,366Posts
    • 1,485Thanks
    Alice Holt
    Maximising State Pension
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:57 PM
    Maximising State Pension 19th Mar 17 at 12:57 PM
    My state retirement date is Sept 22.

My state forecast (based on NI contributions to April 5 in my retirement calendar year) is just short of the maximum payable.

I intend to continue working to (and probably past) my state retirement age.

Are my final NI contributions made between April 6 and Sept 22 effectively lost for SRP purposes, or is there any way can they be utilised to my SRP to the maximum value?

Many thanks for any info or relevant internet links.
Page 1
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 19th Mar 17, 1:01 PM
    • 5,587 Posts
    • 5,132 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 19th Mar 17, 1:01 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 1:01 PM
    Are my final NI contributions made between April 6 and Sept 22 effectively lost for SRP purposes, or is there any way can they be utilised to my SRP to the maximum value?
    Originally posted by Alice Holt
    Unfortunately, I believe they are effectively lost - the year in which you reach SRP does not count as a full qualifying year for SRP.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 19th Mar 17, 3:05 PM
    • 16,996 Posts
    • 11,178 Thanks
    molerat
    • 19th Mar 17, 3:05 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 3:05 PM
    Feel sorry for my brother in law, his birthday is 5th April
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 19th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    • 5,587 Posts
    • 5,132 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 19th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    Feel sorry for my brother in law, his birthday is 5th April
    Originally posted by molerat
    It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

However, between 2010-2016 only 30 years were required for a full ('basic') state pension, and even though it's gone up to 35 now under the new state pension rules, one could argue that that should still allow people plenty of time between leaving full time education and reaching state retirement age to accumulate the necessary years, especially when you consider that those who have to leave the work environment because they are sick, raising children or caring for others can still build up credits via the benefits system.

There are many people who pay more whole years NI than they personally need for their state pension, regardless of when in the year their birthday falls.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

344Posts Today

4,370Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin