Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwad
    • By jwad 19th Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jwad
    Car Insurance - is this legal?
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    Car Insurance - is this legal? 19th Mar 17 at 12:02 PM
    This matter is a bit complex. I have recently applied for a lease car through my employer which will include everything from insurance to service. I don't have a date yet as to when I am getting it, possibly end of April.

My current car is due an insurance renewal this week and I need business insurance as I use it for work. I am going to be giving my current car to my partner, who has only a provisional licence and has gained a quote for me to be a named driver on the policy. They have said I cannot be insured for business as a named driver.

I am now wondering if I should continue with my current insurance and cancel when I receive my lease car. In the meantime can my partner take out separate insurance and have me as a named driver? Is it legal to have two separate policies? This will be only for a duration of two months.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 19th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 9,217 Posts
    • 6,229 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    I don't see why you don't keep your insurance going until you get the new car with your partner as a named driver. Why would she need to take out insurance on the car as well in the meantime?
    • rs65
    • By rs65 19th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 5,023 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    rs65
    Is it legal to have two separate policies?
    Originally posted by jwad
    Yes.

Why not just continue your existing policy?
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 19th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 1,375 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    You can have as many policys as you want, however this may result in a dispute between insurers as to who is actually liable.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 19th Mar 17, 2:14 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 19th Mar 17, 2:14 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 2:14 PM
    I was in the same situation but just kept the policy in my name with my wife as named driver. I just let the insurance company know that she is the main driver.

It also has the advantage that it's kept my no claim bonus alive in case I ever leave the company scheme and that my wife will be a bit older and more experienced if she eventually needs her own insurance.

It's actually with Direct Line which allows a named driver to build up a no claims bonus so she could always take out a policy with them for a year and then move with the accrued bonus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,139Users online

Martin's Twitter