Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 19th Mar 17, 11:45 AM
    • 2,167Posts
    • 2,051Thanks
    TheGardener
    Vanquis
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:45 AM
    Vanquis 19th Mar 17 at 11:45 AM
    I'm thinking of applying for a Vanquis card to improve my credit rating and give me the benefit of the insurance on purchases. However, Vanquis seem to want a 'continuous payment authority' set up and I don't want this - is that the norm for these cards?
Page 1
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 19th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 8,027 Posts
    • 12,368 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    I had a Vanquis card a few years ago and I wasn't asked to set up a continuous payment authority. I just paid the balance off every month.

This was in 2011 when I applied and closed it in 2014 so maybe they have changed their criteria since then.
    • Lincsdebt
    • By Lincsdebt 21st Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Lincsdebt
    • 21st Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    I took out one when my IVA ended last year and still have it. I wasn't asked for one of those, but just set up a direct debit to pay off the balance monthly. I'm not even sure what a continuous payment authority is I'm afraid.

You could always ask Vanquis why. I found their credit control a bit hit and miss, they told me the DD would be set up one month but in fact it didn't start for another month. Thankfully I asked otherwise would have been in default straight away!
    • Steven_from_scotland
    • By Steven_from_scotland 24th Mar 17, 11:13 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Steven_from_scotland
    • 24th Mar 17, 11:13 PM
    • 24th Mar 17, 11:13 PM
    I took out a vanquis card last august just a few months after my years Banruptcy was over in an attempt to help rebuild my credit report and I wasn't asked for 1 of those, I just make sure I clear my balance each month
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 25th Mar 17, 8:12 AM
    • 2,167 Posts
    • 2,051 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 25th Mar 17, 8:12 AM
    • 25th Mar 17, 8:12 AM
    Thanks everyone - I'll have another look, maybe I was mistaken, the T&Cs are so small and long winded it takes a while to read them all and understand them.
    • debt doctor
    • By debt doctor 25th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    • 4,161 Posts
    • 5,828 Thanks
    debt doctor
    • 25th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    • 25th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    Hi,
    I'm not aware that Vanquis require a CPA to take the monthly payment but that doesn't mean that they don't.
    A CPA is set up on your banks debit card rather than a DD or SO.

There is bad press around CPA's and I have had many fights with banks over the years for clients where banks would not allow the CPA to be cancelled. The worst offenders to use the attitude of the banks to their advantage were pay day loans - robbing benefits from bank accounts to pay their loan back.
    However, you have an absolute right to cancel a CPA at any time, without reason, with your bank under the Payment Services Regulations 2009. Don't let any bank tell you otherwise.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 25th Mar 17, 1:20 PM
    • 2,167 Posts
    • 2,051 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 25th Mar 17, 1:20 PM
    • 25th Mar 17, 1:20 PM
    Thanks DD. I will have to read the T&C's carefully and see if it was just a provision in the event a card holder got in arrears.
    I'm very wary of getting a CC at all - life is so much less stressful without one but the insurance protection on purchases is tempting.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

69Posts Today

3,158Users online

Martin's Twitter