Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jmoo
    • By Jmoo 19th Mar 17, 10:29 AM
    • 166Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Jmoo
    Started a new job - will my pension pot come with me?
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:29 AM
    Started a new job - will my pension pot come with me? 19th Mar 17 at 10:29 AM
    Hi,

I've had a job in the public sector for the past five years and built up a reasonable pension pot over the time as my first job since graduating. Now I'm in the private sector and I don't feel I've had enough information from my last role about the pension fund I saved up. Should it stay with me?
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 19th Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    • 22,881 Posts
    • 13,244 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    I've had a job in the public sector for the past five years and built up a reasonable pension pot over the time as my first job since graduating. Now I'm in the private sector and I don't feel I've had enough information from my last role about the pension fund I saved up. Should it stay with me?
    A deferred pension? Were you not given a statement of deferred benefits when you left?

Example

http://www.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk/members/deferred/information-for-deferred-members/
    • Jmoo
    • By Jmoo 19th Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Jmoo
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    I don't believe I received a statement, no. It does say they will write to me about a deferred pension on their website, so I guess I just need to contact them.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 19th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    • 22,881 Posts
    • 13,244 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    Which Public Service body were you with and what kind of pension did you have?

Was it a Defined Benefits pension or a Defined Contribution Pension?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,658Posts Today

6,876Users online

Martin's Twitter