Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • venomizer
    • By venomizer 19th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    venomizer
    Repayment period
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    Repayment period 19th Mar 17 at 8:44 AM
    Just about to take out my first mortgage.
    When deciding on repayment periods i was all set on choosing 25 years. I can afford the repayments on that period and i know it saves me money in the long term.
    Is there any disadvantage to choosing a longer repayment period (say 30 years) but then overpaying to effectively bring it down to 25 years? The way i see it is as a bit of insurance that if i come into financial difficulties in the future, i can stop the overpayments without penalty, which i wouldn't be able to do were i signed up to a 25 year term.
    Obviously i have to be vigilant with the overpayments from the beginning, but are there any other disadvantages with doing this?
Page 1
    • Keezing
    • By Keezing 19th Mar 17, 9:41 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    Keezing
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:41 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:41 AM
    If you are 100% certain that you have the discipline to overpay then the longer term is the better option, as if you ever experience financial difficulties in the future your contractual repayments will be lower.

I did the same thing, overpaid for 3 months then life got in the way ;-)
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 19th Mar 17, 9:47 AM
    • 7,367 Posts
    • 7,902 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:47 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:47 AM
    Check that there won't be penalties at this planned level of overpayments.
    As you say, watch out for Temptation to spend the money instead.

An advantage you may not have thought of since it probably seems a long way off - paying into a pension may financially be a much better option than overpaying. Depends on your tax rate , your employers scheme, how much you currently put into a pension.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

1,514Users online

Martin's Twitter