Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 19th Mar 17, 7:20 AM
    • 2,872Posts
    • 38,932Thanks
    nmlc
    O/D Sunday 19 March 2017
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:20 AM
    O/D Sunday 19 March 2017 19th Mar 17 at 7:20 AM
    O/D Daily Sunday 19 March 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and myself up enjoying peaceful cuppas. DS1 still in his pit, but I can hear movement from DS2's room.

Dinner last night was HM chinese, chicken in black bean sauce, veg fried rice, mushroom chow mein with pancake rolls, dumplings, prawn toasts. Today we're having roast pork, roasties, mash, carrots, brussels, peas, yorkshires and gravy.

Yesterday was reasonably productive, I got into town first thing to visit the building society and to SM to pick up a newspaper, potatoes and the oriental veg mix I use for the veg stir fried rice and bottle of wine fell into the basket too, went down a treat with the dinner though! Our friend came and he and DS1 got the new side door fitted to the garage whilst DH was at work in the morning, they had got almost finished and then needed some more supplies when DH got home from work, so I fed everyone, then we headed to the big hardware store to pick the last bits, which we got they got on when we got home, and we just need to source a new lock and handles and we're good to go. We didn't do too bad as the door was a freebie, so as long as it all works we've been very OS. It will have saved us upwards of £250!

On to today -
    we'll be visiting the outlaws and my parents, having a roast lunch/dinner not sure when I'll be cooking, and DH wants to get some veg planted in the garden.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 19-03-2017 at 7:37 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 19th Mar 17, 7:37 AM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 17,553 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:37 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:37 AM
    Good morning everyone

It's cloudy and dry today, I have been up for what seems like hours with my grand son. Poor thing has caught a cold and is coughing and sneezing all over us at the moment. I have given him his own box of tissues but it is very hit or miss whether he uses them.

It's my eldest DD's 30th birthday today. I have sent her a message on facebook and I will ring her at a more reasonable time. She is having a lovely break in London and is getting thoroughly spoiled.

I watched the latest Ghostbuster film last night, it was an enjoyable bit of nonsense but I did have some weird dreams because of it . I am planning on a nana nap later as well when everyone else gets up. Hubby is going to make a roast beef dinner and we have strawberries and cream for afterwards.

DD14's appointment with camhs is tomorrow. Yesterday she decided to buy a leather choker and a studded wristband to go with her newly cropped hair. It brought back fond memories for me as I used to wear stuff like that in the 80's . She is very nervous about her appointment so I think she is trying to put a brave tough face on for it.

It's gone suspiciously quiet in the living room so I will love you and leave you. Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
    September GC - £383.00/£550
    • tru
    • By tru 19th Mar 17, 7:43 AM
    • 8,574 Posts
    • 43,161 Thanks
    tru
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:43 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:43 AM
    Morning

The mirrors are on the wall in the bathroom, there's a picture frame too but I haven't chosen what to put in it yet. It'll probably stay like that for ages til I find the right things (it's for three pictures) so in the meantime I'm going to pretend I'm going for the minimal look The new loo roll holder is now in use, but it squeaks, lol. Not sure if the screw is done up a bit too tight or it's just one of those annoying things. I'll loosen it and if that doesn't help, I'll spray it with WD40.

My sofas are in desparate need of a good cleaning but I can't find the Vax attachment. It's in the shed somewhere but lots of things have moved in and out there lately so it's got buried. I flatly refuse to lift anything heavier than a cup of tea with my right hand til my shoulder is better, no-one has looked for the attachment for me so I'll assume they're happy to sit on the sofas as they are

There are still a few things to do around the house but I'm being selfish, remember? So I'm attempting yoga (I can't move my right side much, I probably look quite comical), eating chocolate, catching up on my recorded programs and practicing my ninja moves to avoid the two dog walkers that seem intent on winding us up.

If you like the silliness of the Tremors films, you'll love Tremors 5. The monsters have evolved

Bulletproof
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 19th Mar 17, 8:00 AM
    • 3,673 Posts
    • 22,349 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:00 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:00 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. Another day of wind and rain for us. Bah!

DS is on holiday this week and has offered his services in helping to open up the caravan for the new season. Taking off the cover and putting up the awning are not jobs for the rain and it's forecast on and off all week. So will it happen or won't it?! Today was earmarked for getting all the caravan stuff down that's been stored in the loft over winter. So in limbo over that as I don't want the bedroom piled high with bags of bedding, linen, rugs etc till the weather co-operates and we can get it all ready for habitation. Blooming British weather!

Lunch for Mr TA is some lamb in mint gravy, mash and assorted veg. Some chicken for me as I can't bring myself to eat lamb but I like to spoil him once in a while!

Have a good day folks and (HUGS) for the poorlies, sad or worried who want one. Take care whatever you are doing xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gers
    • By Gers 19th Mar 17, 8:15 AM
    • 5,912 Posts
    • 34,990 Thanks
    Gers
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:15 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:15 AM
    Good morning everyone.

Rained all night with a swathe of more rain forecast for all day whilst the rest of the country will be dry. The grass really needs cut but it's all boggy out there.

The chicken dish turned out really well so I'll make it again. There's three portions in the fridge for the rest of the week.

TA - my favourite meat is lamb, you talking about it has given me a fancy for some. I've got loads in the freezer.

No plans for today yet, I'll see what the day brings.

Happy Sunday to all.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 19th Mar 17, 8:34 AM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 19,867 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:34 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:34 AM
    Morning everyone,

Dry, windy and bright here, just got back from walking the girls and wished I had taken my gloves.

Still in a bit of a blue funk and spirits are low so quiet day at home will do just fine, usual suspects of bacon butties and the Archers omnibus, followed by lots of book reading.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 19th Mar 17, 8:53 AM
    • 3,549 Posts
    • 41,228 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:53 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:53 AM
    Morning All

Thanks for all the birthday wishes yesterday, I had a lovely day.

Got most of DDs stuff moved, going back today for the remainder. The meal out was really good, a greek restaurant with tapas style dishes, I had a chicken gyros, calamari and halloumi fries (my favourite). We had a bottle of prosecco between the 3 of us then went for a couple of drinks and home on the train.

Slow start to the day here, I'll go for a shower in a bit and get myself organised, I'm swapping a mattress from here for one from DDs as it's better, a neighbour is helping me with that when I get myself going.

Hope you all have a good Sunday, take care. XX
    • karcher
    • By karcher 19th Mar 17, 8:54 AM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 11,749 Thanks
    karcher
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:54 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:54 AM
    Morning
    Awake hours before the crack of dawn...typical on my day off.

Just polished off the last piece of pizza LO from last night..rather regretting doing so now, but it's gone and I'd only have been thinking about it until I'd finished it. That kind of LO never lasts long with me..

No plans for the day as yet. Can't decide whether to attempt to go back to sleep or just get on with the day.

Have a good Sunday everyone
    • Grouchy
    • By Grouchy 19th Mar 17, 9:10 AM
    • 345 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    Grouchy
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:10 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:10 AM
    Sorry to barge in on this thread, but a quick message for TravellingAbuella, Sainsburys are now selling Heinz Tomate Frito, two varieties, 520g a £1 each, oh joy! Haven't tried either yet but bought a few of each, thought you might like to know.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 19th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 6,484 Posts
    • 89,751 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all,

Nice day here atm but the sky looks black over yonder, its a nice blowy day so I might try to hang the washing out for a while.

We need to have a tidy through this morning and I think I might have to nip to the shop to get a few bits to see us through until the shopping comes, I know we need orange juice and milk.

Little Evie will need her walk but then it will be an afternoon of relaxing and a film on the sofa, that's my way to relax a good walk then flake out on the sofa I watch the start of a film but often fall asleep

Not sure about dinner I don't fancy cooking a roast, will see what we all fancy.

Have good days all xx
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 19th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    • 3,673 Posts
    • 22,349 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    OOOH thanks Grouchy! I am currently using the cartons of Heinz Tomato Frito (210 gm size) that I stockpiled from Fultons, for 29p each, as it was nearing date. It's now past it's date but I'm still using it and still tastes fine!

Not many left now so can foresee a visit to Sainsbobs soon! I don't know why they stopped selling it in the first place! Thanks again for remembering me!

Editing to add I just looked on their website and it says introductory price £1. I think I shall stock up soon before it goes up to silly money!
    Last edited by TravellingAbuela; 19-03-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 19th Mar 17, 12:37 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 16,186 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Our usual laid back Sunday breakfast in bed, veg prepped for supper and then read for a bit.

I cut out the pieces for a bag order yesterday and overlocked all round the edge, the fabric frays like no bodies business after its been cut. I just have the lining and straps to cut then I can start to sew. Doubt if I will do anything at it today.

It is a dullish morning, the sun keeps trying to break through and the wind is quite strong. Went out to put some dead daffs in the bin, quite chilly.

Roast chicken etc for supper tonight just have to cook it.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 19th Mar 17, 12:53 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all.
    Lazy day here as DH has a stinking head cold so no Dad arriving for lunch. I'm afraid for him ( dad that is ) as he already suffers with his chest and I don't want him to catch the cold on top and end up having to use his nebuliser or oxygen. I know he will be ok for lunch as I always make sure he has a freezer full of meals, ready and home made and he can nuke anything with the microwave.
    Just had toasties for lunch mmmm! and tea will be steak pie and wedgies made from yesterdays leftover jacket potatoes.
    The weather today is awful, wind and rain, which apparently is on the cards for the rest of the week
    Have a good day everyone.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 19th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 15,298 Posts
    • 62,798 Thanks
    Judi
    Afternoon all,

food shopping bought and we didnt get wet.... oh the little things in life!

Onwards and forwards,

have a great evening all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 19th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 27,877 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Fairly lazy day for me today, a little decluttering, bought quiche and salad for tea, caught up on the phone with poorly DB in hospital, also with DM. I would love a nana nap, but really need to shower and wash this hair mask from my hair - look like a grease ball
    • elona
    • By elona 19th Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    • 11,249 Posts
    • 59,958 Thanks
    elona
    Had two daughters and son in law over for lunch so did a quick tidy and hoover this morning and made brisket, sausages, yorkies and masses of veg with roast potatoes. We even had enough to make up three portions of lunch to take back with them for tomorrow.

Hoping my bedroom chair arrives this week so will have to tidy my bedroom etc ready. Tonight will probably be baked fish from the freezer with small potatoes or else a salad depending on the weather.

Dishwasher is loaded and kitchen just needs a quick tidy so might have a quiet evening with lots of tea and a good book.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 19th Mar 17, 4:37 PM
    • 5,912 Posts
    • 34,990 Thanks
    Gers
    I've been intermittently busy! Once again I've been clearing out the accumulated clutter in the utility room which seems to attract stuff to it. It's the wide window ledge which is so inviting as well as the work surface... so much junk.

Now I'm watching Sherlock, the last two episodes, with the fire blazing and a cup of tea.

Tomorrow I've agreed to take an outpatient down to Glasgow for a clinic appointment. Trouble is I didn't know until too late that the appointment is at 4.00p.m. so I won't get back home until about 7.00p.m. Why the staff allocate such late appointments to patients almost 100 miles away is beyond me. Luckily the patient and her mother are nice chatty people so the journey will be pleasant enough.

Hope you all have a good evening, I'm looking forward to Vera.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 19th Mar 17, 5:10 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 4,141 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I'm looking forward to Vera.
    Originally posted by Gers
    Me too! And we can call it our movie night since I've found a box of popcorn at the back of the cupboard.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Nov £76.60/£160 NSDs 10/28
    Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 19th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 4,141 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Tomorrow I've agreed to take an outpatient down to Glasgow for a clinic appointment. Trouble is I didn't know until too late that the appointment is at 4.00p.m. so I won't get back home until about 7.00p.m. Why the staff allocate such late appointments to patients almost 100 miles away is beyond me.
    Originally posted by Gers
    Forgot to say - it's one of life's mysteries!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Nov £76.60/£160 NSDs 10/28
    Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 19th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    • 3,673 Posts
    • 22,349 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    We and DS have had a committee meeting and have decided we are not going to let the rain beat us! So tomorrow we are off over to the caravan site, come rain or shine, to take the van's winter raincoat off and get the awning back on. If time permits we will hopefully get the awning carpet laid back down too.

Then Tuesday we'll go back and get all the awning stuff back in its rightful place and give the inside of the van a good clean. DD not working so she is coming to help. By Tuesday night we might be making headway! I hate the opening up and closing down performance and it gets harder every year!

Two more here looking forward to Vera too GERS! Hope the new series is as good.

Have a nice evening xx
    Last edited by TravellingAbuela; 19-03-2017 at 5:17 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,060Posts Today

8,740Users online

Martin's Twitter