Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 19th Mar 17, 2:50 AM
    • 1,824Posts
    • 771Thanks
    Ben8282
    manually entered card details
    • 19th Mar 17, 2:50 AM
    manually entered card details 19th Mar 17 at 2:50 AM
    This would actually be amusing if I were not so annoyed about it.
    I recently had a dispute with a staff member in a petrol station. The dispute was in no way connected to payment or anything remotely related to payment. The dispute involved the refusal of the staff member to sell me a quantity of cigarettes greater than 50.
    This is a quote from the e-mail response to my complaint to the household name oil company:

After completing our investigation, the Retailer confirmed that there is no policy that would limit sale of cigarettes regardless of quantity. He said that (name of staff member) thought that you would be manually entering your credit card details for the sale which is not allowed. The site has recently experienced fraudulent transactions from customers manually entering card details. Nonetheless, the incident will be discussed to the staff member as a learning opportunity and retrain on how to deal with this type of situation accordingly.

Unquote

I did pay for the cigarettes that I was allowed to buy by credit card. The transaction was a normal chip/pin transaction which proceeded without incident. There is no possible reason for the staff member to have thought any such thing.
Page 1
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 19th Mar 17, 6:14 AM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    20aday
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:14 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:14 AM
    Well unless their merchant had gone down and they had to resort to copying your card manual on a paper voucher I can't see how they'd be able to complete PAN Key entry?

I don't work in a petrol station anymore but for at least six years, if not longer, we had a till upgrade and that option was removed; I'd imagine that might be the case for a lot of retailers nowadays.

If the PIN Pad wouldn't read a customer's card after three attempts it fell back to Chip and Signature.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

2,068Users online

Martin's Twitter