Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shyestgirl
    • By shyestgirl 18th Mar 17, 11:55 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 37Thanks
    shyestgirl
    Your choice
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:55 PM
    Your choice 18th Mar 17 at 11:55 PM
    What with Easter approaching, do you prefer Christmas or Easter? What are the differences to you? For me, I know that I most definitely don't get presents at Easter but I just love that friendly Christmasy feeling and Easter just doesn't seem to have that 'magic' excitement.? What about you?
Page 1
    • tommix
    • By tommix 19th Mar 17, 12:14 AM
    • 35,071 Posts
    • 141,402 Thanks
    tommix
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:14 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:14 AM
    I don't want to rain on your parade but I don't like either of 'em..
    • elsien
    • By elsien 19th Mar 17, 12:37 AM
    • 14,772 Posts
    • 36,753 Thanks
    elsien
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:37 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:37 AM
    Would you like an explanation of the theological differences, or should I just cut straight to the chase and ponder the merits of quality street vs Lindt chocolate bunnies?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 19th Mar 17, 12:40 AM
    • 7,846 Posts
    • 9,751 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:40 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:40 AM
    Would you like an explanation of the theological differences, or should I just cut straight to the chase and ponder the merits of quality street vs Lindt chocolate bunnies?
    Originally posted by elsien
    Well for me only- Don't baffle me after Wine
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • shyestgirl
    • By shyestgirl 19th Mar 17, 12:50 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    shyestgirl
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:50 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:50 AM
    I don't want to rain on your parade but I don't like either of 'em..
    Originally posted by tommix
    Oh, come on Tommix. No, I'm only joking. Everyone to their own. Maybe I should have named it 'What's your favourite time of year?' In fact, I'll do that right now. Don't you dare say there isn't one. You're a joker, right???
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 19th Mar 17, 9:33 AM
    • 39,701 Posts
    • 79,454 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:33 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:33 AM
    I prefer Ostara to The Winter Solstice. Although both festivals can be very pleasant, I just prefer the warmer time of year when having a party.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • professor~yaffle
    • By professor~yaffle 19th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    • 477 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    professor~yaffle
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:43 AM
    I see Easter as a time for quiet and renewal. Christmas has become a bit too commercial for my liking, but each to their own.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Mar 17, 10:56 AM
    • 59,187 Posts
    • 345,520 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:56 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:56 AM
    You're right that Easter isn't the same - which is a pity as it's a 4-day long weekend, which'd make it easier for people to get together.

Christmas is best as everybody's doing it, talking about it, it's around us everywhere and it's all sparkly. Even if you don't do anything there's a feeling of "we're all in this together".

No such feeling at Easter.... most people aren't gathering at family homes, round a traditional meal that's pretty much the same idea/thought around the country.

So it's Christmas for me - as it's the ONE time of the year that "most people" have the days off and plan to give presents, or see people, or eat a turkey. Even though I spent Xmas alone, without presents or people and just a tiny turkey breast it was still "Christmas" to me - I doubt I'll notice Easter.
    • Walter92
    • By Walter92 21st Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Walter92
    • 21st Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    • 21st Mar 17, 9:44 PM
    Neither these days.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 22nd Mar 17, 10:04 AM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 15,188 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I don't care about either particularly normally .
    This year probably easter as it is when I am getting together with my family for 40th birthdays. But that is only because of the way the dates fall.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 22nd Mar 17, 4:05 PM
    • 10,392 Posts
    • 23,331 Thanks
    Tarry
    Not fussed but at least Easter Sunday day off has longer light than Christmas day off.
    My birthday has fallen on Easter.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 22nd Mar 17, 4:07 PM
    • 2,358 Posts
    • 3,785 Thanks
    bap98189
    Other than not going to work for 2 days, I have no interest in Easter.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 22nd Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    • 7,236 Posts
    • 7,272 Thanks
    pogofish
    I choose to see Christmas and Easter threads in an appropriate forum:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 23rd Mar 17, 10:03 PM
    • 13,216 Posts
    • 25,179 Thanks
    onlyroz
    I get two days off for both of them but the weather's usually better at Easter.
    • tensandunits
    • By tensandunits 24th Mar 17, 11:12 AM
    • 814 Posts
    • 1,219 Thanks
    tensandunits
    People aren't under pressure to have the perfect Easter they way they are to have a perfect Christmas, so I like it in that regard. Not so much stress, not so many family quarrels and having to think what to buy people.

In terms of their significance in the Christian calendar I would say both are as important as each other.
    • ruperts
    • By ruperts 24th Mar 17, 5:03 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    ruperts
    Easter is more like a standard bank holiday weekend than it is Christmas. I enjoy the time off work but it doesn't have any of the festivities or family gatherings of Christmas.
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 24th Mar 17, 11:48 PM
    • 4,718 Posts
    • 12,842 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    I find Christmas nowadays to be quite stressful and a bit boring to be honest. It's a horrible time of year (weather-wise) and it's dark and dreary for the most part.

I've always much preferred Easter. It's almost always warmer and sunnier, the days are longer and I can usually get at least a week off to enjoy it. We still have a family meal (like at Christmas) and it's much easier to buy a job lot of chocolate eggs, than to have to shop for individual presents. Plus, you don't have to wrap Easter eggs!

No tree, no faffing about with lights and decorations, no ghastly jumpers with reindeer, and best of all.....compulsory chocolate consumption. What's not to love??
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
    • Meg x
    • By Meg x 25th Mar 17, 8:42 AM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Meg x
    Easter is a lot cheaper than Christmas.

I don't understand the religious implications of Easter - yes I know Jesus was ''supposed'' to have risen from the dead. The thing I don't understand is, if it's such an important date in the religious calendar, why is it on a different date each year, unlike Christmas?
    ''Embrace the glorious mess that you are''

Elizabeth Gilbert

''The world is made of faith, trust, and pixie dust''
    J.M. Barrie
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 25th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 21,873 Posts
    • 55,844 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Easter decorations seem to be proliferating in shops now, more every year.

Not for me. Anyway, it's my birthday on Easter Sunday. I used to hate an Easter birthday when I was a kid.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 25th Mar 17, 6:05 PM
    • 13,216 Posts
    • 25,179 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Easter decorations? Who on earth puts up Easter decorations? My limit for easter is a few choccie eggs for the kids that we hide around the house. Oh and a few dozen Cadbury's Creme Eggs for me...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,403Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin