Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rakesh5883
    • By rakesh5883 18th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 72Posts
    • 3Thanks
    rakesh5883
    Notice period - just confused !
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    Notice period - just confused ! 18th Mar 17 at 10:49 PM
    Hey guys,

I am a tenant & very confused about this break clause and notice period in my rental agreement

From my Tenancy Agreement
    The Tenancy will be for a Term of 12 months from and including 8 October 2016 to and including 7 October 2017 subject to either party's right to end the Tenancy early in accordance with the break clause (35.0) below

35.0 Either party may serve notice at any time to terminate the tenancy by providing a minimum of two months written notice to the other, the tenancy may not end until after 6 months of the initial fixed term of this tenancy. At the end of such notice the tenancy shall end and all obligations and responsibilities shall cease.

So, my question is if I inform the agents ( as of today) my intention to leave. When will my last day be ? Will it be 7th June ? or will it be 18th June ?
    Last edited by rakesh5883; 18-03-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 18th Mar 17, 11:20 PM
    • 5,143 Posts
    • 4,791 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:20 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:20 PM
    Not sure where you get either of those dates from. Two months from today would be 18 May, which is after the minimum 6 month term so would be fine.

But watch that you're providing sufficient notice, as you probably need actually to get a letter into their hands (or send by recorded delivery plus a minimum amount of delivery time) - there may well be another clause saying how notices are meant to be served.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 19th Mar 17, 12:40 AM
    • 39,236 Posts
    • 44,571 Thanks
    G_M
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:40 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:40 AM
    Today is 19th March.

If notice was served today, 2 months would take you to 18th May.

However be aware what 'service' means:

* read your tenancy agreement to see if it tells you how notice should be served. Email may be accepable if it says so

* there should be an address 'for service of notice'. You could hand deliver to that address (get proof or a witness), or use the post

* if you post 1st class, service is legally assumed 2 postal days later. So posting today (Sunday) would mean service on Tuesday (21st) so tenancy would end 20th May (not 18th).
    • rakesh5883
    • By rakesh5883 19th Mar 17, 1:04 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    rakesh5883
    • 19th Mar 17, 1:04 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 1:04 AM
    Today is 19th March.

However be aware what 'service' means:

* read your tenancy agreement to see if it tells you how notice should be served. Email may be accepable if it says so

* there should be an address 'for service of notice'. You could hand deliver to that address (get proof or a witness), or use the post

* if you post 1st class, service is legally assumed 2 postal days later. So posting today (Sunday) would mean service on Tuesday (21st) so tenancy would end 20th May (not 18th).
    Originally posted by G_M
    My tenancy agreement has the below, which means 6 months would be from 8th Oct to 7th April. And 2 months from that would be 7th June. Is my understanding wrong then ? ( when they calculate 12 months as below, then wouldn't 6 months + 2 months notice come to 7th June)

The Tenancy will be for a Term of 12 months from and including 8 October 2016 to and including 7 October 2017 subject to either party's right to end the Tenancy early in accordance with the break clause (35.0) below
    Last edited by rakesh5883; 19-03-2017 at 1:06 AM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 19th Mar 17, 2:25 AM
    • 39,236 Posts
    • 44,571 Thanks
    G_M
    • 19th Mar 17, 2:25 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 2:25 AM
    Today is 19th March.

Originally posted by G_M
    The Tenancy will be for a Term of 12 months from and including 8 October 2016
    35.0 Either party may serve notice at any time to terminate the tenancy by providing a minimum of two months written notice to the other, the tenancy may not end until after 6 months of the initial fixed term of this tenancy.
    6 months from 8 Oct 2016 is 7 April 2017.

As 18th May falls beyond 7th april, there is no problem. You will have complied with the two requirments of the Break Clause:

1) by ending the tenancy after the initial 6 months, and
    2) by providing 2 months notice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

1,258Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin