Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Max4848
    • By Max4848 18th Mar 17, 10:29 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Max4848
    Quitting self-employed Deliveroo - can I claim JSA?
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:29 PM
    Quitting self-employed Deliveroo - can I claim JSA? 18th Mar 17 at 10:29 PM
    Hello, I work as a self-employed cyclist for Deliveroo. If I quit voluntarily can I claim JSA? Thanks
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 18th Mar 17, 10:47 PM
    • 10,378 Posts
    • 12,288 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:47 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:47 PM
    Why do you want to leave?
    • Max4848
    • By Max4848 18th Mar 17, 10:57 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Max4848
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:57 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:57 PM
    Why do you want to leave?
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    Can't get consistent full-time hours, and even if I could it's too physically demanding to keep it up. 40 hours is about 250 miles of cycling on average with my commute. My back is in agony and I spend all my free time in bed recovering from exhaustion!

But do I need a reason if I'm self-employed? Or do the same rules apply as voluntarily leaving employment?
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 18th Mar 17, 11:22 PM
    • 10,378 Posts
    • 12,288 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:22 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:22 PM
    Do you have a contract of service?

Will need to look tomorrow for some more information but you might be on dodgy ground if you are not genuinely self employed. Unfortunately some places say you are self employed when, in fact, you are actually an employee. Just a way of not paying your NI contributions!

Any chance of finding another job?

If you are single then you will be applying for Universal Credit, not JSA.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 19th Mar 17, 11:31 AM
    • 10,378 Posts
    • 12,288 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:31 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:31 AM
    Have found the advice for Universal Credit:

Leaving paid work or losing pay voluntarily
    Introduction
    K3201 Legislation provides that a failure is a sanctionable failure where a claimant
    voluntarily and without good reason
    1. ceases paid work or
    2. loses pay1
    Note: For guidance on paid work see ADM Chapter J3 (Work -related requirements)
    and for detailed guidance on good reason see ADM Chapter K2 (Good reason).
    1 WR Act 12, s 26(2)(d)

and if you look at paid work in ADM Chapter K2 then this includes self employment.

You would have to show good reason for leaving voluntarily.

Good reason covers many things but ultimately it would be up to a decision maker to decide whether you had good reason.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 19th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 19th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    Can't get consistent full-time hours, and even if I could it's too physically demanding to keep it up. 40 hours is about 250 miles of cycling on average with my commute. My back is in agony and I spend all my free time in bed recovering from exhaustion!

But do I need a reason if I'm self-employed? Or do the same rules apply as voluntarily leaving employment?
    Originally posted by Max4848
    Perhaps the best thing to do would be look for another position before giving up your job. However you have my full sympathy and I can imagine its very hard craft cycling up and down hills for a living.

I am a keen cyclist but no more than about 2 hours a day and thats enough for me.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 19th Mar 17, 3:23 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 19th Mar 17, 3:23 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 3:23 PM
    'Good reason' includes failure to pay the NMW (but n/a as s-e).

But as you were not employed and don't need to submit a p45 to a JCP, I wouldn't have thought ending self-employment would result in a sanction being applied.

Practically, it'd usually just mean that you weren't entitled to contributions-based JSA, but have to apply for a means-tested benefit.

It'll probably be Universal Credit as others have said. [The reason I say only probably, is because there are gateway conditions and exceptions eg if you are still self-employed when you apply, you are not eligible to claim UC. A person needs to be unemployed (or become within 7 days) to claim UC or income-based/'new style' JSA online]
    Last edited by Mersey; 19-03-2017 at 3:26 PM.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,868Posts Today

4,519Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin