Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • By TINKERBELL 18th Mar 17, 10:27 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Student Council Tax charge at end of degree!
    • #1
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:27 PM
    Student Council Tax charge at end of degree! 18th Mar 17 at 10:27 PM
    Hi can anyone advise on the following please? My son shared a house with 4 other students. They graduated last July (2016) and have just received a council tax bill this month! Covering the period from the end of the University summer term, 11th June 2016, up to the end of their rental house tenancy, which was the 24th July 2016 (well actually the council tax bill states 4th August 2016, after the rental period was up anyway!?). They didn't graduate until 14th July 2016. They were all students, hence unemployed, and they didn't live in the property after they graduated. Are the council correct in charging them?

    A double whammy; being charged rent for 12 months when they didn't need it and now to be charged council tax!
Page 1
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 19th Mar 17, 6:16 AM
    • 2,179 Posts
    • 3,309 Thanks
    • #2
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:16 AM
    • #2
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:16 AM
    Check out the local council website - there are normally specific rules for HMO properties.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of

    A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
    • By TINKERBELL 20th Mar 17, 11:18 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    • #3
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:18 AM
    • #3
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:18 AM
    Thank you for your reply. I checked the website and couldn't find anything relevant to their position. I will enquire from the University accommodation department.

    Any other students experience this?
    • CIS
    • By CIS 20th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 9,864 Posts
    • 5,637 Thanks
    • #4
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • #4
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    Did they have a joint tenancy or did they just each rent rooms ?

    They each cease being a student as soon as they stop meeting the criteria to be regarded as a student for council tax purposes - at that point the exemption ceases and they will be liable for any council tax charge which is due. This date can be before the university formally award the degree, depending on the circumstances.

    The only way to clarify the dates used is to ask the council why they've used those particular dates and then work from there.

    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • ceb1995
    • By ceb1995 20th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    • #5
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    • #5
    • 20th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    It's possible they went of the last attended date not graduation date, when my partner and I left university we finished in may so were considered liable from then not our graduation dates.
    Earnings 2017:
    Swagbucks £49
    Cashback: £113.04
    • FabFifty
    • By FabFifty 20th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    • #6
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    • #6
    • 20th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    No longer a student after the last official date of your university course - not from graduation date which may be a few weeks later.
    • inkie
    • By inkie 17th Apr 17, 5:13 PM
    • 2,566 Posts
    • 2,368 Thanks
    • #7
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:13 PM
    • #7
    • 17th Apr 17, 5:13 PM
    The uni give an exemption certificate and the date it ceases will vary from uni to uni
    • Mariaraver92
    • By Mariaraver92 23rd May 17, 7:54 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #8
    • 23rd May 17, 7:54 AM
    • #8
    • 23rd May 17, 7:54 AM
    Hi there Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I am afraid your son will have to pay. This happened to me last year, my degree ended in June 2016 yet I didn't find work until August 2016. I disputed it but I still had to pay. Sorry
    • macman
    • By macman 23rd May 17, 8:42 AM
    • 40,944 Posts
    • 16,755 Thanks
    • #9
    • 23rd May 17, 8:42 AM
    • #9
    • 23rd May 17, 8:42 AM
    He might qualify for Council Tax Reduction during that period?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,442Posts Today

8,327Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

  • WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See RT

  • RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

  • Follow Martin