Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • glasgow-girl
    • By glasgow-girl 18th Mar 17, 10:24 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    glasgow-girl
    DAS and defaults
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:24 PM
    DAS and defaults 18th Mar 17 at 10:24 PM
    Hi

I am looking for some advice please on how to get companies to default my accounts when on a Debt Arrangement Scheme? If i have read threads correctly, defaults are better on your account rather than 'markers'?

I am two payments away from completing my DAS so I'm hoping it's not too late but we are hoping to move house next year and want/need my credit file to be as good as possible. I started the DAS in May 2012 and the last payment is due May 2017.

The companies involved are Shop Direct, Barclaycard and Next.

On my credit file:

Barclaycard are showing as UC since November 2015 and the status is up to date. Is this good or should i ask for the account to be defaulted?

Shop Direct status is late payment with 'payment was up to 6 months' late since June 2013. The company who I have organised the DAS with contacted Shop Direct to default my account and their response was "there is a note on their system saying debt arrangement scheme so they don't have to default the account". Is this true? Do they not 'have' to default the account? Should I contact them myself to ask they default the account?

Next have only defaulted my account from February 2015. Should I contact them myself, rather than the DAS company and ask they change the default date to when I entered the DAS back in May 2012?

Thank you in advance for any help and sorry for the long post.
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    Hi

Itís generally preferable to have the account defaulted as early as possible on your credit file, as the debts will come off your credit file 6 years after the default date. With no default the accounts will show for 6 years after you settle the account, which is likely to be much longer.

Creditors donít have to default your account if youíve made a temporary payment arrangement which the creditor agrees with, and youíve kept to the payments. I suspect thatís what Shop Direct mean the Debt Arrangement Scheme note is indicating, although I would normally expect there to be an Ďarrangement in placeí marker if there isnít a default.

My understanding is that it should be a temporary arrangement though, so stress to your creditors that as your DAS was an arrangement to pay off the entire outstanding balance rather than a short term arrangement, they should have defaulted your account. Also, you have arguably been put in a worse position by paying your debts off.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,141Posts Today

7,052Users online

Martin's Twitter