Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • later
    • By later 18th Mar 17, 9:03 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 4Thanks
    later
    Tesco credit card and clubcard points
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:03 PM
    Tesco credit card and clubcard points 18th Mar 17 at 9:03 PM
    Hello, I've got a Tesco balance transfer card, but I also thought it would be ideal if I used the credit card to buy food every month (and pay off the food bill every month on top of the balance from my old card), due to the clubcard points you can collect on it.

I was just wondering, the clubcard number on the credit card is different to the clubcard I've been using. Do I need to merge these over the phone, or will they merge automatically?
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 18th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    • 15,853 Posts
    • 10,065 Thanks
    molerat
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    Don't do it. If you spend on the card you will be charged interest on all purchases.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 18th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 1,933 Thanks
    BOBS
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    You need to clear all the balance transfer before you start using it for your groceries.
    Even then be careful with your budget that you put by the amount spent on groceries to clear the total of your credit card each month or you will end up paying interest which will cancel out any gain from clubcard points.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 18th Mar 17, 9:24 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:24 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:24 PM
    I also would advise against spending on the Balance Transfer Card.

You can have more than one Tesco Credit Card so perhaps you could apply for another for purchases (as long as you've had your current card for over a month).

I'd also be interested re the Clubcard question. I have 4 clubcard numbers now (clubcard, two debit cards and one credit card) and presumably will end up with a fifth number when I receive my new credit card. My Tesco Internet banking page lists my clubcard number but I've received vouchers under different clubcard numbers.
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 18th Mar 17, 10:20 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    WillPS
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:20 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:20 PM
    One Clubcard account has one to many Clubcard numbers - the points themselves are stored against the account itself so it matters not which number was recorded when the points were earned.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 19th Mar 17, 5:08 AM
    • 1,909 Posts
    • 785 Thanks
    20aday
    • 19th Mar 17, 5:08 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 5:08 AM
    During the application process did you enter your standard Clubcard number OP?

If so the accounts should've merged then-if you go to Tesco.com/clubcard, sign in, enter three random digits from your account number and then choose My Account Details>View my Cards you'll see any Clubcard(s) there.

But, as above, don't mix purchases and balance transfers. However... when paying at the checkout the cashier will ask if you'd like to use the card as payment; just say 'no thanks'. You'll still earn 1 point per £1 of qualifying spend.

And if you're using self service pop your credit card into the terminal before tapping 'card' on the screen, a till prompt should appear asking the same question.
    Last edited by 20aday; 19-03-2017 at 5:22 AM. Reason: Missed some information
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your account conduct and credit history.
    • later
    • By later 19th Mar 17, 7:21 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    later
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:21 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:21 AM
    Hello, I'm confused.

If I pay £100 per month for groceries, and £300 per month on the BT card, why will I pay interest on purchases if I'm paying the £100 full every month and the intended £200 per month on the BT?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 19th Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    • 15,853 Posts
    • 10,065 Thanks
    molerat
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:44 AM
    You only get the interest free period on purchases if you clear the card in full which includes the BT. That is why the general rule is never spend on a BT card.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 19th Mar 17, 7:45 AM
    • 8,602 Posts
    • 5,411 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:45 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 7:45 AM
    Hello, I'm confused.

If I pay £100 per month for groceries, and £300 per month on the BT card, why will I pay interest on purchases if I'm paying the £100 full every month and the intended £200 per month on the BT?
    Originally posted by later
    Because there is a balance on the card then you lose the period of waiving interest on any purchases. So if you buy your groceries you will pay interest from teh day of purchase to the day that you make a a payment.
    • quackers82
    • By quackers82 19th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    quackers82
    My advise is to just wait 30 days and then apply for a Tesco purchases credit card as they let you have 2 credit cards. Thats what i did. I don't spend on my balance transfer card, but everything else i buy goes on the other Tesco credit card and gets paid in full and i get the extra points
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 19th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    • 1,909 Posts
    • 785 Thanks
    20aday
    The summary box can be found here OP:

http://www.tescobank.com/assets/sections/credit-cards/pdf/tesco-bank-cc-bt-summary-box.pdf?_=cachebuster14122016

I once held an Asda credit card which I'd transferred a balance to. Entirely my fault but I used it for a one-off purchase and as I'd not cleared the statement in full it attracted interest on the entire amount.

But as I've pointed out above you can use the Tesco Bank credit card in store as your ordinary Clubcard without paying for any purchases on it.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your account conduct and credit history.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 19th Mar 17, 12:01 PM
    • 6,079 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    chattychappy
    I once held an Asda credit card which I'd transferred a balance to. Entirely my fault but I used it for a one-off purchase and as I'd not cleared the statement in full it attracted interest on the entire amount.
    Originally posted by 20aday
    You would only have interest on the purchase, not the BT amount.... (perhaps that what you meant).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,715Posts Today

5,895Users online

Martin's Twitter