Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • toozie
    • By toozie 18th Mar 17, 10:01 PM
    • 3,233Posts
    • 5,901Thanks
    toozie
    Divorce and disclosure
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:01 PM
    Divorce and disclosure 18th Mar 17 at 10:01 PM
    A question about for a friend.

Friend and estranged husband separated some time ago, she has stayed in the family home, and is buying husband out. They both have solicitors, but have agreed mutually on an amount, both are happy with, and have told the solicitors they want a 'clean break' friend is not interested in his pensions, and wants to start over asap.

His solicitor has stated it still has to go to court with full disclosure of his pensions, which is going to cost time time and money to get.

Does this full disclosure have to happen if they are both happy with the settlement, or is it the solicitor trying to drag things out?
    Any advice we would be great fun, thank you
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 18th Mar 17, 10:32 PM
    • 9,375 Posts
    • 11,801 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:32 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:32 PM
    I certainly don't remember mine going to court and going into pensions. I didn't disclose anything and don't remember my ex doing so either. We both agreed the financials and divorced. Unless it was done behind the scenes as a matter of course, but I certainly don't remember it!

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 18th Mar 17, 10:59 PM
    • 6,734 Posts
    • 8,283 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:59 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:59 PM
    If you want a clean break you need a consent order. To get a consent order needs full disclosure.

Solicitor costs c£200. Court fee £50. Job done.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 19th Mar 17, 12:19 AM
    • 1,726 Posts
    • 2,303 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:19 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 12:19 AM
    Yes, my husband had to disclose pensions and their value. He had three and there was no charge from the companies who gave a value and the figures were received within a week.
    • toozie
    • By toozie 19th Mar 17, 5:16 AM
    • 3,233 Posts
    • 5,901 Thanks
    toozie
    • 19th Mar 17, 5:16 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 5:16 AM
    Thanks guys
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 19th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    • 5,785 Posts
    • 7,553 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:48 PM
    They both have to complete a 'Statement of Information' form summarising the financial positions. It is not as detailed as if they were asking the court to decide who gets what, but her husband will need to values of his pensions n order to complete the forms.
    Unless the pensions are already in payment, his pension providers are required to provide the values free of charge so it is not a particularly onerous requirement.
    (and it may be wise for your friend to wait until she knows the figures before deciding that she is happy to give up her claim to them)
    • Kentselon
    • By Kentselon 24th Mar 17, 9:09 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Kentselon
    • 24th Mar 17, 9:09 AM
    Divorce
    • 24th Mar 17, 9:09 AM
    What is the quickest way and cheapest way to divorce we have no kids no house together was only married for 3 months but I have a pension but I paid for car a few utility bills anyone help
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 24th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 7,588 Posts
    • 16,714 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    • 24th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 24th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    What is the quickest way and cheapest way to divorce we have no kids no house together was only married for 3 months but I have a pension but I paid for car a few utility bills anyone help
    Originally posted by Kentselon
    Start your own thread - you'll get more replies

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

#JC4PM
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 24th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 7,063 Posts
    • 9,194 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 24th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 24th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    Originally posted by Kentselon
    Cheapest is to download forms and DIY it - only court fees to pay
    https://www.gov.uk/divorce/overview
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

2,862Users online

Martin's Twitter