Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Avii
    • By Avii 18th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Avii
    Police Hit and Run Chase
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    Police Hit and Run Chase 18th Mar 17 at 7:28 PM
    A car that was being chased by the police hit into me causing damage to my front wing and bumper.

The car drove off but the police stopped and took my details.

They said due to the nature of the incident I can make a claim agains Thames Valley Police insurance.

Knowing the insurance company they may want to write my car off the issue is my car is from the 90s and I want to keep it it's not worth a going through the insurance and paying the voluntary excess.

If it was not my fault can I still claim back the voluntary excess?
    If I went through the insurance?

And will I lose my no claims - ?

Could I still report it to the insurance company but not make a claim?

Will my premium go up every year now for the next 5 years?

Apologies for the questions but I feel that I'm going to be the one who is more affected by this collision?
Page 1
    • rich13348
    • By rich13348 18th Mar 17, 7:39 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    rich13348
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:39 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:39 PM
    You can claim from the Thames valley police insurance as the police mentioned.
    You will not have to pay any excess if you do this. If you go through your own insurance you will have to pay the excess but it can be recovered from the 3rd party (Thames valley police insurers)

If your car is written off then you could be given the option to buy back the scrap and fix it yourself if it is deemed repairable. Some cars are deemed to badly damaged to ever be allowed on the road again.

If you decide to go through the 3rd party insurers you will still have to notify your insurers but you will not lose any no claims. Your premiums are likely to go slightly for a non fault accident.

You will have to declare it for the next 5 years.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 18th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 2,639 Posts
    • 2,760 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    I understand Thames Valley Police self-insure so there won't be an insurance company to deal with as such.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 19th Mar 17, 5:48 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 19th Mar 17, 5:48 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 5:48 PM
    Sorry to hear that, what car is it?
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 19th Mar 17, 6:25 PM
    • 5,434 Posts
    • 6,802 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:25 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:25 PM
    Did the car that hit you have insurance in force .
    NOT THE DRIVER
    THE CAR.

Check to see, if it did, you are covered by the insurance company that insured the car.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 20th Mar 17, 5:46 AM
    • 802 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:46 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:46 AM
    Did the car that hit you have insurance in force .
    NOT THE DRIVER
    THE CAR.

Check to see, if it did, you are covered by the insurance company that insured the car.
    Originally posted by Marktheshark
    You're not the best at giving advice are you? The police told the OP to claim off them. That's what he should do.
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 20th Mar 17, 7:27 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:27 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 7:27 AM
    You're not the best at giving advice are you? The police told the OP to claim off them. That's what he should do.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    What the bobbies said at the scene and what will happen in practice might be two different things.

I would be surprised if Thames Police would pay out unless it was their cat that hit the OP.
    Isikhathi sokuba ngesigezo imikhonto
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 20th Mar 17, 10:34 AM
    • 802 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:34 AM
    • 20th Mar 17, 10:34 AM
    What the bobbies said at the scene and what will happen in practice might be two different things.

I would be surprised if Thames Police would pay out unless it was their cat that hit the OP.
    Originally posted by Shaka_Zulu
    I would still be following up the police before I went via any other route to avoid a lot of ping ponging between multiple parties. No doubt the insurer for the stolen car would argue that the crash was a result of the chase. In the meantime the OP is left waiting for the refund of his voluntary excess. Settle with the police if at all possible first and then leave the police fight it out after that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,143Posts Today

12,993Users online

Martin's Twitter