Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ellie271989
    • By Ellie271989 18th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ellie271989
    Dodgy car dealer
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    Dodgy car dealer 18th Mar 17 at 7:10 PM
    Hi all looking for some advice.
    We bought a Saab 9-3 convertible 11/3/17 no cash exchanged hands it was a straight swap for a Mini Cooper s. We believed this was a private sale however we're provided with an invoice receipt from a company. More about that later.
    Before going to see the car we did all the necessary checks to make sure it wasn't completely dodgy.
    At the time of sale we were told of two issues. 1- the bonnet latch had come off the side of the footwell and just needed reattaching. 2- the boot closure was difficult and needed some wd40.
    After he drove my partner around my partner was sold. From our earlier searches and asking him I found out the car wasn't taxed and demanded we tax it before agreeing a sale. We went to a post office and paid for 6 months tax to ensure we were covered for the drive home. My partner spoke to his insurance company to insure the car. We received an invoice receipt which detailed the swap and is headed with company name and address etc. All sorted. On the drive home we noticed that the fuel gauge didn't work. It dropped to empty despite us filling it up. We also heard a horrific noise from the front right suspension. The washer fluid wasn't working and the wipers were just weird. Only working on fast. We got home and after a lot of struggling found that the cable to the bonnet is broken not just off the side of the foot well. The bonnet was finally opened through brute force. The washer fluid topped up and still didn't work.
    48 hours after buying the car the engine management light came on. Deciding enough was enough we researched the car listing on other sites and saw that the engine management light was on in one of the pictures. So we contacted the bloke who sold us the car. We listed the issues and he admitted he forgot to tell us about the fuel gauge and wipers. He got a bit funny with us when we said this was a lot of issues.
    I also went through companies house researching the company listed on the receipt. Same unusual first name as the man who sold us the car... different surname. Same area too as where we met.
    We went to three garages for quotes on fixing the wrk. Baring in mind the car is insured for £2000 the cost of fixing the issues is between £800-£1000 not including the engine management issue.
    Details of quotes;
    Fuel gauge issue
    Wiper motor
    Fluid pump
    Bonnet cable
    Engine management investigation charged per hour
    I have sent a letter to the address listed on the invoice recorded delivery obviously. No response.

Any advice? Or is it cut our losses?
Page 1
    • facade
    • By facade 18th Mar 17, 8:33 PM
    • 2,797 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    facade
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:33 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:33 PM
    Have you tried asking him to just swap back? Not sure where you stand as you didn't pay any money, even if he is a trader.

You need to get rid, they can be real moneypits when things start to go wrong, and it sounds as if you have bought a very neglected one.

You have tested the hood? My brother had 2. one the hood gave up because one of the many microswitches that control the mechanism failed, which was a cheap fix, the other never worked right due to a hydraulic leak that was too expensive to fix.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Ellie271989
    • By Ellie271989 18th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ellie271989
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:48 PM
    We've asked to swap back. He's refused and is selling the mini on. We saw it the other day online with trade plates in windows.
    He's stopped talking to us completely. Won't fix the issues or answer any requests to return the vehicle.
    We've got it booked in tomorrow at a garage for a full check. I'll ask the question about it. Thanks for the heads up.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 18th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    • 15,059 Posts
    • 13,398 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    Why buy a Saab? They went out of business almost five years ago.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • just trying
    • By just trying 18th Mar 17, 10:20 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    just trying
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:20 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:20 PM
    [QUOTE=facade;72272758]Have you tried asking him to just swap back? Not sure where you stand as you didn't pay any money, even if he is a trader.

You need to get rid, they can be real moneypits when things start to go wrong, and it sounds as if you have bought a very neglected one.

You have tested the hood? My brother had 2. one the hood gave up because one of the many microswitches that control the mechanism failed, which was a cheap fix, the other never worked right due to a hydraulic leak that was too expensive to fix.[/QUOTE

Ignore.. never read everything.
    Last edited by just trying; 18-03-2017 at 10:28 PM.
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER 098
    WILL SAVE ATLEAST £500!.
    • just trying
    • By just trying 18th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    just trying
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    Why buy a Saab? They went out of business almost five years ago.
    Originally posted by maninthestreet
    And, spares are still made.

They have been taken over, have you not seen newer ones.
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER 098
    WILL SAVE ATLEAST £500!.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 19th Mar 17, 5:09 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 19th Mar 17, 5:09 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 5:09 AM
    You can still get spares but they haven't been taken over. No new models out at all.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 19th Mar 17, 6:32 AM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:32 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:32 AM
    Did you really buy a car without opening the bonnet?
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 19th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 3,652 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    You can still get spares but they haven't been taken over. No new models out at all.
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    SAAB was bought out, by a Chinese firm called NEVS. They did restart production as well for a period, but subsequently lost the rights to the SAAB name a couple of years ago.

They are planning to restart production again, making their own vehicles under the NEVS name but based on the acquired 9-3 platform.

This was all talked about at AutoMechanika last year.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 19th Mar 17, 11:03 AM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    Tarambor
    From our earlier searches and asking him I found out the car wasn't taxed and demanded we tax it before agreeing a sale. We went to a post office and paid for 6 months tax to ensure we were covered for the drive home.
    Originally posted by Ellie271989
    Impossible, can't be done and hasn't been able to for quite some time now when the rules over SORN changed. When there is a change of owner the existing road tax is cancelled from that date and refunded to the last registered keeper. The new keeper has to tax it again from the date they purchased it.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 19th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Did you really buy a car without opening the bonnet?
    Originally posted by Nodding Donkey
    The first half of the username is similar to someone else who went through a string of buying crap cars without doing even cursory checks and then posting tales of woe and grief.
    • Ellie271989
    • By Ellie271989 20th Mar 17, 1:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ellie271989
    My name is the same as someone else? Sadly that happens with more common names.

I was looking for consumer rights advice. Not to be criticised. My partner is very impulsive and hopefully has learnt his lesson the hard way with this as I wanted nothing to do with the swap as I believed his car to be fine.

We have since had a independent report completed by a garage which details 15 faults with the vehicle including one dangerous one. "O/S/R upper hub brush has excessive play - dangerous and mot failure"
    The mot was apparently completed last month. 28/02/17 to be exact. And passed... again. Apparently.
    • takman
    • By takman 20th Mar 17, 1:55 PM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    takman
    My name is the same as someone else? Sadly that happens with more common names.

I was looking for consumer rights advice. Not to be criticised. My partner is very impulsive and hopefully has learnt his lesson the hard way with this as I wanted nothing to do with the swap as I believed his car to be fine.

We have since had a independent report completed by a garage which details 15 faults with the vehicle including one dangerous one. "O/S/R upper hub brush has excessive play - dangerous and mot failure"
    The mot was apparently completed last month. 28/02/17 to be exact. And passed... again. Apparently.
    Originally posted by Ellie271989

If that is the case then you need to report this to the DVSA and they will then arrange for the car to be retested, but this must be done within 28 days of the MOT so you better be quick:

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/problems-with-your-test-result
    • rob7475
    • By rob7475 22nd Mar 17, 8:53 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    rob7475
    This doesn't quite add up.

How could you possibly think a private seller would want to take your old car as payment for the Saab?

Also, alarm bells would have been ringing for me when the dealer accepted a straight swap. That usually means one of two things. Either your car was worth much more than the saab so he could make a bigger profit. Or, he knew the Saab was a lemon and this was an easy way to shift it on.

To be honest, I doubt you'll have much comeback on a car at this sort of price point. Your best hope is to try and shift the car on.
    • Ellie271989
    • By Ellie271989 22nd Mar 17, 10:56 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ellie271989
    He told us he had never done a swap before. It felt very weird not paying for a car. He told us it was his girlfriends car and was just too large for her which is why the mini was perfect for her.
    Within three days he had sold the mini on. We have spoke to the guy who he sold the mini on to. He didn't advise him of any of the advisories on the mot as we had passed this on at time or sale. The new owner of the mini also has an invoice from LH Motors but believed it was a private sale until he received a receipt with a company name. He has confirmed it's the same person. And send us a copy of the invoice receipt.

Trust me he knew the Saab had issues. He's admitted some of them via text.
    • aleks1244
    • By aleks1244 22nd Mar 17, 11:12 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    aleks1244
    Where did you find this seller, my bro had the same prob , first car he bought from a priv on autotrader paying cash after a while there was a few probs that came up which he did not mention ,we went back and told him we want full amount of cash he said he would offer a free swap he had a bunch of diff cars which he did not know anything about, bonnets not opening and other issues bla bla we said no give us the cash and stop messing around. He did give us the cash same time we came back, he could see we were angry hehe
    • aleks1244
    • By aleks1244 22nd Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    aleks1244
    I would not let it go, where did you find this car , were was it adv , what website?

Where did you go to collect the car , who was there
    • Ellie271989
    • By Ellie271989 22nd Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ellie271989
    I'm not letting it go. The car was advertised on auto trader and in a Facebook group.
    We met him at a service station and then followed him to what I thought was his house.
    It was me my partner and him. No other witnesses.
    I've sent him a letter recorded delivery which he has received. I will be sending another one with the faults found. Again recorded delivery. He has not responded since we asked for our money back. We have tried to contact him since but no response.
    Dvla, trading standards and now DVSA are aware of the issues. We know it'll probably end in court as he is not the kind of person to honour a consumer goods act.
    He tried to tell us we were nit picking at issues. Pretty sure a dangerous fault on a vehicle isn't nit picking.
    • aleks1244
    • By aleks1244 22nd Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    aleks1244
    Call auto trader, tell them the situation , send what faults have been found, the car was on at and had a description for sure?
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 22nd Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 3,652 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Call auto trader, tell them the situation , send what faults have been found, the car was on at and had a description for sure?
    Originally posted by aleks1244
    What on earth do you expect Auto Trader to do about it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,546Users online

Martin's Twitter