Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • livinglondonlife
    • By livinglondonlife 18th Mar 17, 6:33 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    livinglondonlife
    0 WOW
    Lastminute.com wrong flights booked
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:33 PM
    0 WOW
    Lastminute.com wrong flights booked 18th Mar 17 at 6:33 PM
    My husband and I are going to a friend's wedding in Portugal this June and I made quite a significant error by booking the wrong weekend! Normally I book flights directly with the airline but in this case I did it through lastminute.com because outbound is with Monarch and return is Thomson Fly so it worked out cheaper. I realised within a couple of hours of booking that I had the wrong weekend and called up lastminute.com to see if I could either cancel or change the dates. Over two weeks later I received a reply saying neither was possible and would cost me more in both cases so I might as well book new flights and forget about the old ones (580 down the drain!)

Surely this can't be right? Shouldn't I at least get the taxes back? Not sure what to do now so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Page 1
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 18th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    It wouldn't be worth your while claiming the tax. Its 13 per person per flight, and both Monarch and Thomson Airlines have an admin fee of 25. Lastminute probably have their own admin fee as well.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 18th Mar 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,670 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    bagand96
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:46 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:46 PM
    It doesn't help you now but... you could have still booked directly with the airlines, a one way with Monarch, then a second one way with Thomson.

That way you could have spoken to the airlines as soon as you realised and they may have been more helpful (given how soon after booking you realised). The airlines are the ones with the power to make the decision and may have helped you. As it is you had to wait for your agent to get back to you with no help at all.

It's a very long shot but it might be worth calling the airlines directly and explaining and putting yourself at their mercy. You never know. However many airlines won't communicate directly with the customer if it was an agent booking. But for the sake if a phone call....

Other than that it might be an expensive lesson I'm afraid.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,700Posts Today

6,395Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin