Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • patgc
    • By patgc 18th Mar 17, 5:59 PM
    • 398Posts
    • 62Thanks
    patgc
    0 WOW
    Best spending help for USA
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:59 PM
    0 WOW
    Best spending help for USA 18th Mar 17 at 5:59 PM
    This forum was brilliant last September helping me sort out flights for our holiday to Portland Oregon USA. We are both OAP's and this is a one month, one off trip to see relatives not seen for over 30 years. What I would like some help with now is what to do about spending money. Things have changed from when we were young and it was local currency and travellers cheques. Have tried reading all of Martin's advice pages and am getting confused.
    We have Nationwide debit card and Nationwide Select credit card. Am I right in thinking that I should use the credit card for day to day purchases out there and then use the debit card to take out dollars from the ATM. Is this the best way to do it. We are there for a month, so I guess we should take some dollars with us. Your advice would be really appreciated.
Page 1
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 18th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    phatbear
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    Yup those cards are ideal seeing as you already have them.

Dont forget to tell nationwide you are going abroad!
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 18th Mar 17, 6:16 PM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:16 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:16 PM
    The nationwide debit card will be fee free if it's from the flexplus account, if not you will be charged as for most other cards.

Most US ATMs will charge fees anyway but you should be able to pay for most things with your credit cards and should have little need for cash.

It would be better to have another reserve card as well, the Halifax clarity is often recommended.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 18th Mar 17, 6:46 PM
    • 23,165 Posts
    • 60,027 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:46 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:46 PM
    We take our Saga card as a back up to the Nationwide cards. We put almost everything on the NW credit card and pay it off as soon as we get home.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • patgc
    • By patgc 23rd Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    • 398 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    patgc
    • 23rd Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    • 23rd Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    Sorry not to get back sooner, been poorly.
    Should I take some dollars for incedentals to start us off ? Then use the CC for everything and anything that will take it? Its set up already to pay in full every month so if payment time is whilst we are away, it will pay it automatically.
    Who is recommended to purchase dollars from at a good rate ?
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 23rd Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 23rd Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    • 23rd Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    Sorry not to get back sooner, been poorly.
    Should I take some dollars for incedentals to start us off ? Then use the CC for everything and anything that will take it? Its set up already to pay in full every month so if payment time is whilst we are away, it will pay it automatically.
    Who is recommended to purchase dollars from at a good rate ?
    Originally posted by patgc
    Hope you are feeling better, I always take a few spare dollars for incidentals especially where credit card payment isn't appropriate. If I don't have currency left over from a previous trip I will use the Moneymax facility and pick up a few $. I have found the No1 cash generator to be the best for collection in my area for my most recent trips.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 23rd Mar 17, 12:39 PM
    • 7,313 Posts
    • 9,065 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 23rd Mar 17, 12:39 PM
    • 23rd Mar 17, 12:39 PM
    Land at airport.

Stick suitable card in ATM. Withdraw an appropriate amount is $ for the flat fee charged by the ATM. Enjoy holiday with no further cash. Repay card debt to minimise interest on cash.
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 23rd Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    Beenie
    • 23rd Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 23rd Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    Definitely take two credit cards. You don't want to find yourself with 'card declined' when paying for something. A spare could save a lot of hassle.
    • patgc
    • By patgc 23rd Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    patgc
    • 23rd Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    • 23rd Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    Ok, Thanks. Have applied and been accepted for the Halifax Clarity to keep as a backup.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,234Posts Today

7,418Users online

Martin's Twitter