Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Openyoureyes
    • By Openyoureyes 18th Mar 17, 5:58 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Openyoureyes
    Amex Platinum Hotel Bookings
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:58 PM
    Amex Platinum Hotel Bookings 18th Mar 17 at 5:58 PM
    Hello Everyone!

I have the Amex Platinum card but the only thing I've made use of over the past year is the concierge (they helped me find a book that I was unable to).

I read about the hotel benefits and how you get certain tiers at certain hotel chains.

Could someone please explain how all that works? I am not currently enrolled in any airline or hotel memberships etc. Will I need to register with the hotels and if so how do they know I have the card etc.

I travel about 3-4 times a year for holidays, and it would be nice if I got a room upgrade or reduced rates etc because of the card.

Also I hear a lot about Amex fine hotels and resorts. I know there's a US website, but can't find a UK one for platinum. Is it best to phone Amex and book or is there a UK website?

Page 1
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 18th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    My understanding is that you have to book through Amex Travel (i.e. you have to overpay for the booking in the first place - they're never competitive on price) then the applicable benefits get applied to the booking.
    • Openyoureyes
    • By Openyoureyes 18th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Openyoureyes
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    So in other words its useless?
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 18th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    So in other words its useless?
    Originally posted by Openyoureyes
    You'll have to do some sums to figure out whether it has value for you or not. Given you're talking about using it for holidays, do you ever stay in any of the chains included in the offer?

I'm not sure about the direct enrolment into higher tiers of hotel reward programmes, I can't find any details about how that actually works... But it may get you some rewards without booking through Amex.
    • newuser86
    • By newuser86 19th Mar 17, 8:43 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    newuser86
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:43 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:43 AM
    You need to enroll on to the club's through the Amex Web page. When logged in go into benefits directory and you can enroll into hilton, melia, spg (then status match to marriott) and two others.. This will give you elite status at these hotels. You can then book direct with them to achieve free upgrades etc

Amex fine resorts are a lot more expensive so you will need to factor in prices with the perks you are getting.
    • Openyoureyes
    • By Openyoureyes 19th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Openyoureyes
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    So even booking directly from the hotel's website makes you eligible for a room upgrade (if available)??
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 19th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 6,843 Posts
    • 8,431 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 19th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 1:17 PM
    So even booking directly from the hotel's website makes you eligible for a room upgrade (if available)??
    Originally posted by Openyoureyes
    Yes.

If registered its pretty much automatic on check in. Additionally as an example, with Hilton, it includes a free breakfast too. When I booked a ridiculously cheap Hilton room for £25 recently the two of us got £24 of cooked breakfast between us for nothing.

Saved a trip to Wetherspoons.
    • Marchitiello
    • By Marchitiello 19th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Marchitiello
    • 19th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    Yes.

If registered its pretty much automatic on check in. Additionally as an example, with Hilton, it includes a free breakfast too. When I booked a ridiculously cheap Hilton room for £25 recently the two of us got £24 of cooked breakfast between us for nothing.

Saved a trip to Wetherspoons.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    What Hilton status do you get with the Amex Platinum? Gold or Platinum ? I got a room upgrade on my last two bookings being Silver (via Barclaycard) but no breakfast
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 19th Mar 17, 6:14 PM
    • 6,843 Posts
    • 8,431 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:14 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:14 PM
    What Hilton status do you get with the Amex Platinum? Gold or Platinum ? I got a room upgrade on my last two bookings being Silver (via Barclaycard) but no breakfast
    Originally posted by Marchitiello
    Gold.

It's "continental breakfast" officially but they've never kept me away from the dead pig buffet once I'm in the restaurant.
    • theburningcat
    • By theburningcat 19th Mar 17, 9:06 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    theburningcat
    There are 2 options for Amex Platinum card holders - book directly with Amex with certain perks (still generally more expensive than going direct) and book direct with certain chains and use your status upgrade.

You should first register with Hilton, Melia, Shangri-La and Starwood via Amex's site. When Starwood arrives, you should register for Mariott and connect that to your Starwood account so you get gold on both.

With Hilton, you get a space-available upgrade (~50% success rate in my experience), free breakfast ("continental" means nothing in this case), space-available late checkout (~50% success rate in my experience), free use of the gym/pool and sometimes a free drink at the bar. The other chains have similar perks but I'm unable to comment on success rates.

Generally speaking, it's best to book directly. Amex's own travel site resells Orbitz and there is sometimes a time lag or likely mistake, which can work in your favour sometimes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

386Posts Today

4,481Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin