Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 18th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 1,070Posts
    • 2,894Thanks
    Penitent
    What Is Irritating You III
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    What Is Irritating You III 18th Mar 17 at 5:18 PM
    Not sure if I'm going to get told off for this since I'm not sure why the last one migrated, but...

Post your irritations!
Page 81
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 14th Jun 17, 6:19 PM
    • 25,788 Posts
    • 13,532 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Take it back, buy it again but this time in the sale.
    Originally posted by uberalles
    It's a video game and I have already used it. I would only get a second hand price. I bought it second hand and could now get it for £2 less brand new. I have been waiting ages for it to come down to an affordable price as well.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 14th Jun 17, 6:30 PM
    • 11,783 Posts
    • 45,277 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Bit of a long winded whinge. The lake here has an ongoing problem with blue/green algae in the summer. Last year all the fish in the lake suffocated because it got such a grip, and people were having to use boats to row out and remove the dead fish.

This year the wildlife trust is trying to get ahead of the problem. They have put notices up asking people NOT to feed the water birds, even with seed. They've even removed all bird seed from sale in the shop. Apparently when the uneaten seed and bread ferments in the water it exacerbates the algae problem. Also the poo the birds produce after eating bread does the same. They have put barley straw "sausages" (large bale type things, joined together like a string of sausages) across the lake as when that breaks down it helps combat the problem.

All good you'd think.

Except.....the notices are minute and are in places people won't see them And even when the warnings are pointed out to people they still don't stop throwing manky bread into the lake
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 14th Jun 17, 6:51 PM
    • 26,472 Posts
    • 95,739 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Bit of a long winded whinge. The lake here has an ongoing problem with blue/green algae in the summer. Last year all the fish in the lake suffocated because it got such a grip, and people were having to use boats to row out and remove the dead fish.

This year the wildlife trust is trying to get ahead of the problem. They have put notices up asking people NOT to feed the water birds, even with seed. They've even removed all bird seed from sale in the shop. Apparently when the uneaten seed and bread ferments in the water it exacerbates the algae problem. Also the poo the birds produce after eating bread does the same. They have put barley straw "sausages" (large bale type things, joined together like a string of sausages) across the lake as when that breaks down it helps combat the problem.

All good you'd think.

Except.....the notices are minute and are in places people won't see them And even when the warnings are pointed out to people they still don't stop throwing manky bread into the lake
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    And as well as that, white bread is really bad for waterbirds.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • colinw
    • By colinw 14th Jun 17, 7:12 PM
    • 48,772 Posts
    • 133,283 Thanks
    colinw

All good you'd think.

Whoooa
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 14th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    • 6,659 Posts
    • 14,319 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    This algal bloom can be really bad for dogs as well . .
    Hell in a handcart either way.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 14th Jun 17, 8:11 PM
    • 11,783 Posts
    • 45,277 Thanks
    joansgirl
    This algal bloom can be really bad for dogs as well . .
    Originally posted by OldMotherTucker
    Yes, it can be toxic

When it appears every year they do test it for toxicity and so far it's been fine but at some point it will turn toxic. Then the idiots who ignore the safety warnings and continue to allow their dogs to swim in it before the toxicity reports come back will be up in arms when their dogs get ill....or worse
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 14th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 2,163 Posts
    • 2,458 Thanks
    ceredigion
    Yes, it can be toxic

When it appears every year they do test it for toxicity and so far it's been fine but at some point it will turn toxic. Then the idiots who ignore the safety warnings and continue to allow their dogs to swim in it before the toxicity reports come back will be up in arms when their dogs get ill....or worse
    Fine by me, Irritating Dogs and there owners
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 14th Jun 17, 8:41 PM
    • 6,634 Posts
    • 12,131 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Dreading the eye clinic tomorrow. It's the airless, windowless and soulless waiting area. Then you are never seen on time. Last time 2 hours 20 mins.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 14th Jun 17, 9:00 PM
    • 11,783 Posts
    • 45,277 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Fine by me, Irritating Dogs and there owners
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    Their
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 14th Jun 17, 9:29 PM
    • 21,693 Posts
    • 55,363 Thanks
    pollypenny
    M&S Bank - do they deserve praise or censure?

I booked our flight to the States, expensive, but we want to see the gorgeous boys.

15 minutes later a call from an unknown number on my mobile: an Indian guy, wanting to know the rest of my birthday, he knew the 16th. I answered but he asked something else.

He did not ever say he was from the bank.

I rang off and brand directly myself, finding myself transferred to security and that the transaction had been blocked and my card cancelled!

Every time I've rung M&S Bsnk, I be spoken to someone in Chester. Why the hell are they using an Indian call centre fir security?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 14th Jun 17, 9:38 PM
    • 2,163 Posts
    • 2,458 Thanks
    ceredigion
    Their

Go and look at post 1475
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 14th Jun 17, 9:43 PM
    • 26,472 Posts
    • 95,739 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Go and look at post 1475
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    The thing is, though, that it changes the meaning, which means you waste time working out what the poster means.
    Which is a tad irritating.
    So,ok for an irritated thread?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 15th Jun 17, 4:33 AM
    • 6,659 Posts
    • 14,319 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    I'm procrastinating . .
    Hell in a handcart either way.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 15th Jun 17, 7:51 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 2,894 Thanks
    Penitent
    I'm incredibly irritated with my house this morning. The front of the house faces south and the bedrooms on that side are several degrees hotter than the one at the back. The concrete walls absorb and retain heat, so I think my bedroom also absorbs the morning sun through the unshaded east-facing external wall. I woke up at atrocious o'clock this morning feeling like several kinds of awful and discovered it was 25C in my bedroom (the Met Office says it's 14C outside). The obvious solution would be to move into the cooler back bedroom, but...

Concrete houses also get cold in the winter and furniture put up against external walls tends to result in damp/mould forming behind them. The back bedroom is mostly internal walls, making it much better for furniture. In order to fit my bed in that room, I need to either put my huge wardrobe in the sauna bedroom (but I'd need to put it half a foot away from the wall for the damp, and that's assuming I can actually get it in there--the size/tight corners upstairs make that unlikely) or get rid of the wardrobe entirely (so I'd be losing all the storage inside and on top of it).

TLDR version: AAARGH!

Edit:
    I measured. The wardrobe can't be moved into the other room, so I'll need to get rid if I'm going to do this. I can't even donate it because they won't get it down the stairs either, so I'll need to dismantle a perfectly good wardrobe.
    Last edited by Penitent; 15-06-2017 at 8:01 AM.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Jun 17, 7:56 AM
    • 26,472 Posts
    • 95,739 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I'm incredibly irritated with my house this morning. The front of the house faces south and the bedrooms on that side are several degrees hotter than the one at the back. The concrete walls absorb and retain heat, so I think my bedroom also absorbs the morning sun through the unshaded east-facing external wall. I woke up at atrocious o'clock this morning feeling like several kinds of awful and discovered it was 25C in my bedroom (the Met Office says it's 14C outside). The obvious solution would be to move into the cooler back bedroom, but...

Concrete houses also get cold in the winter and furniture put up against external walls tends to result in damp/mould forming behind them. The back bedroom is mostly internal walls, making it much better for furniture. In order to fit my bed in that room, I need to either put my huge wardrobe in the sauna bedroom (but I'd need to put it half a foot away from the wall for the damp, and that's assuming I can actually get it in there--the size/tight corners upstairs make that unlikely) or get rid of the wardrobe entirely (so I'd be losing all the storage inside and on top of it).

TLDR version: AAARGH!
    Originally posted by Penitent
    Is there a spare bed in the cool room?

If so, why not just use it temporarily when the nights are hot, but keep your own bedroom for all other times?
    Or get an aircon machine for your own room?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 15th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 2,894 Thanks
    Penitent
    Is there a spare bed in the cool room?

If so, why not just use it temporarily when the nights are hot, but keep your own bedroom for all other times?
    Or get an aircon machine for your own room?
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    No, there's no space for a bed. Both rooms are small singles. Can't fit both bed and giant wardrobe in the same room, hence the dilemma.

I'll have another look at aircon units, but last time I looked they were £300 up and they needed to be vented, meaning I'd have to have a person-sized window open all night.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Jun 17, 8:33 AM
    • 26,472 Posts
    • 95,739 Thanks
    Pyxis
    No, there's no space for a bed. Both rooms are small singles. Can't fit both bed and giant wardrobe in the same room, hence the dilemma.

I'll have another look at aircon units, but last time I looked they were £300 up and they needed to be vented, meaning I'd have to have a person-sized window open all night.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    But you could leave the wardrobe where it is, just have a temporary bed in there, just for hot nights.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 15th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 2,894 Thanks
    Penitent
    But you could leave the wardrobe where it is, just have a temporary bed in there, just for hot nights.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Sorry, I may be a bit dim 'cause of the heat/lack of sleep, but I don't know what you mean by a temporary bed.

Edit:
    I think I worked it out. A foldaway guest bed? Not enough floor space, unfortunately.

I'm going to get rid of the wardrobe. Much as I love it, it's just not practical for the size of the room and it's not like I can take it with me when I eventually manage to move out.

Now I just need to gather the motivation to do it today/tomorrow before the real heatwave hits!
    Last edited by Penitent; 15-06-2017 at 10:14 AM.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 15th Jun 17, 11:02 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 2,894 Thanks
    Penitent
    I emptied and dismantled the wardrobe and I think I may now be dead. If so, I'm irritated with the afterlife, which seems to mostly involve lying down and having a sore finger.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 15th Jun 17, 1:14 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 5,808 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I have a breadmaking machine and it came with a recipe booklet, I can get all of the ones I want to work except one.

Another failed attempt today
    I have tinkered with the ingredients but all to no avail, the bread tastes OK but it just will not rise to full height and the inside is more air than bread making it difficult to slice
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 1416.5
    This week 63.9
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

126Posts Today

2,524Users online

Martin's Twitter