Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 18th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 1,360Posts
    • 4,136Thanks
    Penitent
    What Is Irritating You III
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    What Is Irritating You III 18th Mar 17 at 5:18 PM
    Not sure if I'm going to get told off for this since I'm not sure why the last one migrated, but...

Post your irritations!
Page 24
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 19th Apr 17, 2:31 PM
    • 8,050 Posts
    • 26,848 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I want chocolate, specifically Milky bar chocolate, but I always want chocolate and I can't always have it can I?
    Why can't I crave mushrooms or bell peppers? Why do the things I love make me fat? Why can't carrots taste like caramac?
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 19th Apr 17, 2:54 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 4,136 Thanks
    Penitent
    I want chocolate, specifically Milky bar chocolate, but I always want chocolate and I can't always have it can I?
    Why can't I crave mushrooms or bell peppers? Why do the things I love make me fat? Why can't carrots taste like caramac?
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    I actually do crave fruit and veg, but a) they're much dearer than chocolate/crisps, b) they spoil too quickly (so I can't spread them out over the month 'til my next delivery), and c) my IBS objects. So...chocolate and crisps it is.

I think I need to learn to cut out snacks entirely and just not have the stuff in the house, but it's the habit of a lifetime.
    Last edited by Penitent; 19-04-2017 at 3:01 PM.
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 19th Apr 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 2,673 Thanks
    helcat26
    could you get hypnotised to believe that carrots taste like chocolate and vice versa
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Apr 17, 3:54 PM
    • 28,993 Posts
    • 106,129 Thanks
    Pyxis
    could you get hypnotised to believe that carrots taste like chocolate and vice versa
    Originally posted by helcat26
    In the Far East they make chocolate that is carrot -flavoured, and other veg flavours.

I do get cravings for vegetables, either specific ones or just a veg meal. Very often that's after a period when I haven't been eating well or sensibly, and it's a reaction against " brown food" IYSWIM.

there's nothing more appetising than a plate of brightly-coloured veg! Yum yum!

I'm surprised you said that fruit and veg are more expensive than chocolate, though, Penitent?

How do you get your vitamins and minerals? And roughage?

I find that apples and oranges keep,quite well. Bananas don't obviously.

When they are in season, I get soft fruit every week, and just scoff it within a day or two at the most, so it doesn't get a chance to go off.
    Last edited by Pyxis; 19-04-2017 at 3:56 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 19th Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    • 8,050 Posts
    • 26,848 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I've just eaten an orange which has taken the edge of my chocolate cravings. (would have preferred a Terrys chocolate orange though )
    The only time I crave fruit and veg is if something is fresh and seasonal like strawberries, I can't resist them when they're fresh and locally grown.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 19th Apr 17, 4:26 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 4,136 Thanks
    Penitent
    I'm surprised you said that fruit and veg are more expensive than chocolate, though, Penitent?

How do you get your vitamins and minerals? And roughage?

I find that apples and oranges keep,quite well. Bananas don't obviously.

When they are in season, I get soft fruit every week, and just scoff it within a day or two at the most, so it doesn't get a chance to go off.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Value chocolate is 45p and a sharing bag of crips is <£1 and they keep for months (years?). A punnet of value berries is over a quid and doesn't keep well for more than a couple of days, so I'm then snack-less for the rest of the month.

I've tried apples, oranges, plums, kiwis and a few other cheaper fruits, but they set off my IBS and I don't think any of them lasted the month. Raw carrots are pretty cheap and I love them, but they make my stomach hurt. I tried frozen berries, as they're a bit cheaper than fresh, but they go soggy and horrible when I defrost them. I'm currently trying monkey nuts as a alternative to crisps, but they're useless during a sweet craving.

The rest of my diet is fairly healthy (but samey because of food and money issues): wholemeal toast with olive spread for breakfast; soup for lunch; frozen mixed veg with wholemeal noodles, wholemeal pasta or white rice (brown rice freaks me out because of the arsenic warning) and kidney beans or fish for dinner. The problem is the things I eat as snacks.
    • Piscean1991
    • By Piscean1991 19th Apr 17, 4:40 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    Piscean1991
    Gonna give a TMI alert here...

Got back from boyfriend's parents' house yesterday. We visited them for 5 days and as usual, they were lovely and we had a nice time. But. For some reason, my bum just gets a bit shy when it's not at home so I ended up not going for the WHOLE FIVE DAYS. And his mum's a feeder.

Anyway, needless to say.. I am now a bit irritated and, actually, in some pain. I don't know why I can't go in places away from home.

I've read some reviews of Senokot and suchlike on Amazon but I just don't think I'm prepared for that kind of.. Cleansing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Senokot-Strength-Constipation-Relief-Tablets/product-reviews/B0017TQ408
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 19th Apr 17, 4:43 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 4,136 Thanks
    Penitent
    When I've been in the constipation phases of my IBS I've had to use glycerin suppositories when nothing's, um, been released for a few days. Now that was an odd experience. Certainly got things moving, though. I don't think the loo has forgiven me yet.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 19th Apr 17, 5:03 PM
    • 8,050 Posts
    • 26,848 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Ooh I love a TMI post!
    I expect once your body realised you're on home ground and relaxes it a bit things will get moving again. A hot bath can help.
    • Cloth of Gold
    • By Cloth of Gold 19th Apr 17, 5:22 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Cloth of Gold
    I agree public information adverts need to be brought back. Parents should teach them rules of the road. I have seen recently the number of kids that have no idea that you should stop, look right, left and right then cross the road when it's clear. They cross the road without looking.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I was a member of the Tufty Club when I was a child. Does anyone remember that? Perhaps Tufty could be brought out of retirement.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Apr 17, 6:28 PM
    • 28,993 Posts
    • 106,129 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Gonna give a TMI alert here...

Got back from boyfriend's parents' house yesterday. We visited them for 5 days and as usual, they were lovely and we had a nice time. But. For some reason, my bum just gets a bit shy when it's not at home so I ended up not going for the WHOLE FIVE DAYS. And his mum's a feeder.

Anyway, needless to say.. I am now a bit irritated and, actually, in some pain. I don't know why I can't go in places away from home.

I've read some reviews of Senokot and suchlike on Amazon but I just don't think I'm prepared for that kind of.. Cleansing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Senokot-Strength-Constipation-Relief-Tablets/product-reviews/B0017TQ408
    Originally posted by Piscean1991
    Try fresh figs, if you like them. They work wonders. I love figs, but can only eat them when I'm not going anywhere the next day!

(Tinned and dried figs work just as well).

Also, liquorice. That works like a charm.

And strong coffee.

If you're embarrassed to 'go' in someone else's house, I can understand that.
    The remedy is, firstly, make sure you know where the loo cleaner and loo brush is.
    Secondly, try using something like Freshdrop. It seals in the smells. You put 2or3 drops in the pan before you 'go'. If you then flush and give the loo a brush-up with loo cleaner, problem solved.

The bottle is small enough to keep in your handbag or pocket, and lasts for ages........

http://www.qwerkity.com/fresh-drop-smell-stop-prod6842/

If it's the noises that are embarrassing, take your phone or tablet in with you and play some music.

I was a member of the Tufty Club when I was a child. Does anyone remember that? Perhaps Tufty could be brought out of retirement.
    Originally posted by Cloth of Gold
    I was confused at first, wondering what Tufty had to do with constipation!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 19th Apr 17, 6:36 PM
    • 26,335 Posts
    • 14,094 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I still can't make good scrambled eggs.
    Originally posted by bushbaby1103
    I used to always get boiled eggs perfect years ago. Now they are always too hard or too soft. incase you are wondering perfect in my view is runny in the middle but hard on the outside.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 19th Apr 17, 6:38 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 4,136 Thanks
    Penitent
    TI was confused at first, wondering what Tufty had to do with constipation!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Maybe you could use him as a loo brush if you block the loo with your backlog.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Apr 17, 6:54 PM
    • 28,993 Posts
    • 106,129 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Maybe you could use him as a loo brush if you block the loo with your backlog.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    That's cruelty to aminals!
    (sic)
    Last edited by Pyxis; 19-04-2017 at 7:12 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 19th Apr 17, 7:10 PM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 10,688 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    I hate shopping.
    I hate the thought of voting AGAIN, and I don't like Toblerone.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 19th Apr 17, 9:54 PM
    • 7,146 Posts
    • 13,061 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I used to always get boiled eggs perfect years ago. Now they are always too hard or too soft. incase you are wondering perfect in my view is runny in the middle but hard on the outside.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    Simple solution
    https://www.therange.co.uk/kitchen/cookware/colour-changing-egg-timer?gclid=CL3WrJuzsdMCFcsK0wodv5AHPw

Bought mine from a pound shop. It gets it right each time.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 20th Apr 17, 12:40 AM
    • 26,335 Posts
    • 14,094 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Virgin media deciding 8pm was a good time to schedule a software update for the hub.
    My dads tablet updating to nougat. Now I haven't got a clue how to use half of the functions. I no longer know how to delete cache either. Avg cleaner does not function properly anymore.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 20th Apr 17, 8:23 AM
    • 12,445 Posts
    • 47,620 Thanks
    joansgirl
    I have to traipse into town today and mix with the great unwashed

I'd rather be painting
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 20th Apr 17, 11:19 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 4,136 Thanks
    Penitent
    Indecision.

I requested a letter/report from my psychiatrist 7 months ago. I heard nothing, so after a month I called to check they had it. They did, his secretary was going to put it in his tray for him to look at the following week.

Couple of months later: I'd heard nothing, so I called again. It turns out there's a fee, I said that's fine, just let me know how he wants to be paid. She said someone would call me back to let me know. No call back.

Couple of months later: still no letter, still no call to tell me how he wants to be paid. Called again: the letter is being prepared by his other secretary, I'll get a call back about payment. No call back.

Called back a couple of days ago: secretary is away from desk, they've left her a message to call me back. Two hours go by. I try again, still away from her desk, another message left. Didn't call back that day or yesterday.

I'm honestly not sure if I need to call back again. I don't want to risk p'ing the secretary or the psychiatrist off because a) I'm relying on them for this report and b) my mental health issues make me really terrified of p'ing people off. I need the opinion of normal people. Should I call back today?
    • Yah Boo Sux
    • By Yah Boo Sux 20th Apr 17, 11:37 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Yah Boo Sux
    Getting an avatar to fit!
    Is technology really so difficult for MSE forums to handle?
    Registering here is like stepping back in time!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,759Posts Today

7,474Users online

Martin's Twitter