Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 18th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 1,241Posts
    • 3,671Thanks
    Penitent
    What Is Irritating You III
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    What Is Irritating You III 18th Mar 17 at 5:18 PM
    Not sure if I'm going to get told off for this since I'm not sure why the last one migrated, but...

Post your irritations!
Page 23
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 18th Apr 17, 1:00 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 3,671 Thanks
    Penitent
    I need to make a phone call, but I can't make it until the previous person I called calls back. It's been over an hour, they can't still be "away from [their] desk". The worst bit is I know they never call back, so I should have called the other person first, but my brain isn't very good at planning at the moment.

I also just realised my delivery is late. It was a 5 hour time slot and they're still late.

I'm sure you'll all be relieved to learn that my new knickers arrived. (But for some reason, they've put the bedding I ordered in different bags and they're all being delivered on different days, even though they were dispatched the same day. The world is conspiring to make me have to deal with as many people are possible this week. )
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 18th Apr 17, 1:01 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 3,671 Thanks
    Penitent
    Also, the Thanks button keeps unthanking itself, meaning I then need to re-thank folk.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 18th Apr 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 6,767 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Also, the Thanks button keeps unthanking itself, meaning I then need to re-thank folk.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    someone else complained of that but it was because they had used the browser buttons and not refreshed the page.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 1751.1
    This week 69.6
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 18th Apr 17, 2:24 PM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 6,767 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    How to solve the housing shortage and the plastic bottle crisis in one fell swoop!

Apparently, they make great insulation!

I've also seen a few examples in this country of greenhouses made of plastic bottles.

This tells you how to do it! ...........

http://www.instructables.com/id/New-Innovation-in-Construction-using-Waste-Plastic/

Originally posted by Pyxis
    That is all well and good but does not solve the problem of the bottles getting thrown away in the first place, only what to do with them if they are recycled by upright folk.

This week 69.6
    • Piscean1991
    • By Piscean1991 18th Apr 17, 7:19 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    Piscean1991
    These are the people that my generation is trying to save the planet for and yet they are allowed to get away with this.
    The local schools should have an outside class every day to go around the area and pick up all of these plastic drinks bottles and this should continue until the kids learn not to throw them away in the first place
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    I'm going to suggest something controversial here. Maybe, just possibly.. Perhaps it might actually be the parents' role to educate their children about being responsible.

As for suggesting schools should do that every day.. Well.

Teachers are already under enough pressure to meet unrealistic targets in a heavy curriculum, thanks. Never mind the risk assessments needed to be able to take the children out, walk around and pick up litter. No thanks.

We encourage them to look after the school environment and we teach them about looking after the local environment but quite honestly, it's about time people stopped screaming that schools need to sort it out every time children do something they don't like or they believe children aren't this, that or the other enough. What happened to parents taking responsibility?
    • Cloth of Gold
    • By Cloth of Gold 18th Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Cloth of Gold
    I'm going to suggest something controversial here. Maybe, just possibly.. Perhaps it might actually be the parents' role to educate their children about being responsible.

Teachers are already under enough pressure to meet unrealistic targets in a heavy curriculum, thanks. Never mind the risk assessments needed to be able to take the children out, walk around and pick up litter. No thanks.

We encourage them to look after the school environment and we teach them about looking after the local environment but quite honestly, it's about time people stopped screaming that schools need to sort it out every time children do something they don't like or they believe children aren't this, that or the other enough. What happened to parents taking responsibility?
    Originally posted by Piscean1991
    I totally agree. When I was at school the teachers taught me about French, maths, geography and so on. My parents taught me about things such as good manners and social responsibility, and thats how it should be. Those sorts of things should be reinforced at school of course but the primary responsibility should be with the parents.
    Last edited by Cloth of Gold; 18-04-2017 at 9:06 PM.
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 18th Apr 17, 9:05 PM
    • 6,785 Posts
    • 14,808 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker

I totally agree. When I was at school the teachers taught me how about French, maths, geography and so on. My parents taught me about things such as good manners and social responsibility, and thats how it should be. Those sorts of things should be reinforced at school of course but the primary responsibility should be with the parents.
    Originally posted by Cloth of Gold
    I've been saying this for a long time! Same applies to dress codes, discipline, sex education, cookery . .
    Hell in a handcart either way.
    • Cloth of Gold
    • By Cloth of Gold 18th Apr 17, 9:10 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Cloth of Gold
    I had cookery lessons at school but my mother had taught me and my brother how to cook from a young age. At school they taught us how to make trifle and scrambled eggs I recall, which seemed very basic to us. At the end of the term they taught bread-making, which we hadn't done at home. We then had lots of bread-making sessions at home but bread straight for the oven is so delicious it all went very quickly. Sorry to go off topic in my wander down memory lane.
    • bushbaby1103
    • By bushbaby1103 19th Apr 17, 12:24 AM
    • 4,800 Posts
    • 7,827 Thanks
    bushbaby1103
    I still can't make good scrambled eggs.
    Yes, it's true hell IS other people
    And remember the problem is them, not you.
    Devilsand demons walk among us in human form.wake up people, it's a man.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 19th Apr 17, 8:12 AM
    • 6,806 Posts
    • 12,496 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I still can't make good scrambled eggs.
    Originally posted by bushbaby1103
    I do mine in the microwave. crack 2 or 3 eggs beat them up - add a drop of milk (optional) then on full power, cook for intervals of 30 seconds first then 20 seconds - stirring after each time. Then towards the end, 10 seconds is all you need. Cook until the eggs are your liking.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 19th Apr 17, 9:27 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 3,671 Thanks
    Penitent
    MSE is doing a new collective energy switch...two months after they told us there wouldn't be one and recommended we all lock into the cheapest fixed deal we could find to prevent overpaying.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 19th Apr 17, 10:07 AM
    • 11,991 Posts
    • 46,041 Thanks
    joansgirl
    People who aren't board guides telling others where to post and thinking they run the forum
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 19th Apr 17, 10:18 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 3,671 Thanks
    Penitent
    People who aren't board guides telling others where to post and thinking they run the forum
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    I think it's meant helpfully for the most part. I've pointed newbies who've posted in DT about their insurance, parking tickets, etc. to boards where they might get a better response, mostly in the hope of fending off the less than delicate attentions of some of the locals. I know it's better to PM the board guide and ask for it to be moved, but I hate PMing folk.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 19th Apr 17, 10:49 AM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 6,767 Thanks
    Wizard of Id

What happened to parents taking responsibility?
    All the evidence shows that the parents don't care enough to educate their children about things like this

I am not a parent and yet I can make an effort to use as little plastic as possible and recycle as much as I can but being honest, I am starting to lose the plot with the kids around here, they have no thought at all about waste, even standing outside their own front door they will drop litter.

This week 69.6
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Apr 17, 11:15 AM
    • 27,321 Posts
    • 99,219 Thanks
    Pyxis
    All the evidence shows that the parents don't care enough to educate their children about things like this

I am not a parent and yet I can make an effort to use as little plastic as possible and recycle as much as I can but being honest, I am starting to lose the plot with the kids around here, they have no thought at all about waste, even standing outside their own front door they will drop litter.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    I don't think it hurts to have a two-pronged attack with regard to things involving social responsibility and courtesy to others. As Wizard says, a lot of children don't get that education at home, and are probably encouraged to chuck litter out of car windows, etc.

So reinforcing those ideas at school would be useful.

I would also like to see the return of the public information films, updated, natch, which reinforce things even more.
    I don't see it as being nanny-stated; there is obviously a need to 'educate' a lot of people about how to behave, and it it doesn't hurt to catch them young, and TV can be a huge influence for good as well as for bad.

"Wear something white at night"
    "Keep Britain tidy"
    "Take your litter home"
    "Road hog"
    "Coughs and sneezes spread diseases"
    Etc. Etc. Etc.

So I suppose it would be a three-pronged attack: parents, teachers, government information films.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 19th Apr 17, 11:25 AM
    • 6,806 Posts
    • 12,496 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I agree public information adverts need to be brought back. Parents should teach them rules of the road. I have seen recently the number of kids that have no idea that you should stop, look right, left and right then cross the road when it's clear. They cross the road without looking.

If I knock a child, I get done for dangerous driving. The parents should be done for unable to teach them the rules of the road.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Apr 17, 11:46 AM
    • 27,321 Posts
    • 99,219 Thanks
    Pyxis
    When I was at primary school a million years ago, we had some policemen come to the school periodically with mini Belisha beacons, a roll-up mini zebra crossing and people in pedal cars, showing us what would happen if we didn't cross the road properly.

Do schools still do that sort of thing, or is it all virtual these days?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 19th Apr 17, 1:25 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 3,671 Thanks
    Penitent
    There's a thread in DT about lack of funding for music programmes and the like. Maybe the schools can bring in littering fines to raise some money?

As for road sense...it's a wonder the kids round here make it to adulthood. You have to drive by the local secondary school at a crawl when the kids are going in/coming out. They step out into the road without looking, then just blankly stare at you like they don't understand why you're on the road if you beep at them. (To be fair, I did the same a couple of times as a kid, but always apologised to the driver when I did it. I was a perpetual daydreamer.)

I do worry that we're expecting schools to teach kids more and more of the basic stuff that parents should be teaching them, but we seem to be moving in that direction. I'd rather they focussed on stuff like English and maths. There are calls for life skills like budgetting to be taught in schools, since more and more people (including parents) don't seem to know how to do it. I suppose it's better for the school to teach them than to have no-one do it, but I don't know where schools are going to fit it all in.

I disagree with OMT about sex ed, though. I'd rather kids were taught about it by a professional who won't get embarrassed, won't pass along any old wives' tales and doesn't have any religious silliness getting in the way. I think a lot of parents struggle to be objective when it comes to their children and normal "curiosity".
    Last edited by Penitent; 19-04-2017 at 1:27 PM.
    • Piscean1991
    • By Piscean1991 19th Apr 17, 1:53 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    Piscean1991
    Oh, I definitely think schools have a role to play beyond the academic side of things but I agree with Penitent - the amount we're being asked to take on is already unmanageable and, realistically, we only actually have the kids for 6 hours a day.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 19th Apr 17, 2:25 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 3,671 Thanks
    Penitent
    Oh, I definitely think schools have a role to play beyond the academic side of things but I agree with Penitent - the amount we're being asked to take on is already unmanageable and, realistically, we only actually have the kids for 6 hours a day.
    Penitent isn't entirely convinced that that paragraph she wrote makes sense. I was aiming for something along the lines of: "They shouldn't have to, but they'll probably be expected to if the parents can't/won't, even though there's barely enough time to do everything they're already doing."

I wonder if the answer might be something like evening/weekend classes where parents and kids can learn about budgetting, recycling, cooking, sewing, etc. together. I'm not sure how well-attended they'd be, though.
    Last edited by Penitent; 19-04-2017 at 2:27 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

811Posts Today

7,074Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin