Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrRipley
    • By MrRipley 18th Mar 17, 5:00 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 17Thanks
    MrRipley
    B.A Holiday Deposit - Lost Job
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:00 PM
    B.A Holiday Deposit - Lost Job 18th Mar 17 at 5:00 PM
    Hi Folks,

A few months ago I booked an exotic holiday for the end of the year, unfortunately my work contract was terminated on the spot a few days ago out of the blue (just under 2 years employment, dismissal was in no way my fault for those wondering).

Due to this there's no way I'll be able to pay the remaining balance of quite a few thousand for the holiday, as I'll need to use my final pay and savings to live off of until I get a new job.

I believe B.A say the initial £££ deposit cannot be refunded from what I can find on the website.
    The deposit was paid for via debit card.

Due to these unforeseen circumstances should BA refund me? Is there a route I can go down to hopefully recover this?

Or is there a way via my bank I can get refunded?

Thanks
Page 1
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 18th Mar 17, 5:04 PM
    • 1,833 Posts
    • 2,868 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:04 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:04 PM
    What does your contract say ?

Assuming scheduled flights are included with BA then fairly unlikely they'll be of the flexible/refundable type therefore unless covered in total by the deposit I'd be expecting to have to pay for those in full.

For the hotel etc it's anyone's guess

You need to talk to them and also check your insurance policy (you are insured right ?)
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 18th Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    Via bank no, why would you think so, BA haven't done anything to warrant your bank recovering your deposit.

BA unlikely, given what you've already discovered on their website (assume T&C's is what you've looked at).

Travel insurance, possibly. Depends on those T&C's as well, do please say you have some!

Sorry you've lost your job, it looks like you're likely to lose this deposit as well. Not too much £££ I hope.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 18th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    • 3,729 Posts
    • 2,388 Thanks
    alanq
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    Is it a package holiday? If so can you find anyone else to go in your place?

If so according to Which?
    "If you're unable to go on your holiday because of personal circumstances you have the right to transfer your holiday to someone else. Holiday companies can charge a reasonable administration fee to transfer the booking to someone else."
    http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-have-to-cancel-my-package-holiday-what-are-my-rights
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • katejo
    • By katejo 18th Mar 17, 6:03 PM
    • 2,972 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    katejo
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:03 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:03 PM
    Sorry to hear about the job but didn't you take out insurance when you booked it? The cancellation part of the policy should cover sudden loss of job (as long as you didn't know that you might lose it when you booked)?
    • MrRipley
    • By MrRipley 18th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    MrRipley
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

The job loss was completely out of the blue, no idea it would happen.

I have worldwide travel insurance with Barclays through my account, will need to check whether it covers this.
    But at the same time I don't want my bank to freak out and reduce credit limits etc.

Think my best bet might be to call BA, not to cancel the holiday but hopefully be able to change the date for next year, which will give me enough time to get new employment and pay this off.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 18th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    • 12,019 Posts
    • 10,459 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:57 PM
    I have worldwide travel insurance with Barclays through my account, will need to check whether it covers this.
    But at the same time I don't want my bank to freak out and reduce credit limits etc..
    Originally posted by MrRipley
    Travel insurance is generally nothing to do with the bank and will have no impact on your account. They usually hire a third party to supply the product and just badge it as their own.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 18th Mar 17, 7:11 PM
    • 2,010 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:11 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:11 PM
    How much was this deposit? 10%?
    If the holiday is not until the end of the year the balance won't be due yet for several months.
    Perhaps you will have a new job by then?
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 18th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 3,854 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    The travel policy does cover redundancy, but I would have thought the fact your monthly salary will no longer be going into your account is just as likely to rink alarm bells with the bank as putting in an insurance claim.

How much was the deposit? We booked a BA holiday last year and I seem to remember the deposit was fairly low, and certainly way under the flight costs, so I doubt there are any hotel costs that can be got back.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 19th Mar 17, 8:54 AM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    The travel policy does cover redundancy, but I would have thought the fact your monthly salary will no longer be going into your account is just as likely to rink alarm bells with the bank as putting in an insurance claim.
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    The bank will not assume the OP is unemployed when it stops getting a salary credits. They could have arranged it to be paid elsewhere.

Essentially, the OP would have to tell them.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 19th Mar 17, 1:08 PM
    • 6,862 Posts
    • 8,448 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    The bank will not assume the OP is unemployed when it stops getting a salary credits. They could have arranged it to be paid elsewhere.

Essentially, the OP would have to tell them.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    If an account goes unfunded there is a big risk of overdraft limits being removed.

I would recommend moving funds in and out of the account regularly to keep funding levels the same, in the same way people do to meet funding requirement for higher interest rates etc.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 19th Mar 17, 7:45 PM
    • 10,012 Posts
    • 6,415 Thanks
    bigadaj

I would recommend moving funds in and out of the account regularly to keep funding levels the same, in the same way people do to meet funding requirement for higher interest rates etc.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Though given they appear to be struggling to pay for a holiday the ability to circulate funds may also be an issue.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 19th Mar 17, 8:37 PM
    • 6,862 Posts
    • 8,448 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Though given they appear to be struggling to pay for a holiday the ability to circulate funds may also be an issue.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    £75 ten times a month should do it.
    • MrRipley
    • By MrRipley 20th Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    MrRipley
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    I have the ability to pay off the holiday in full with my savings but I count the holiday as a luxury, not a necessity so I would rather go without or postpone, until I'm back in employment. The uncertainty of not knowing when I'll land a new job is why I've not paid the rest, would rather hold fire and see what happens.

No money owed on overdraft, although it's nice to have as a backup.
    Few hundred on credit card, will be paid when bill comes in, again just nice to have a backup if need be.
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 20th Mar 17, 10:24 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    Mr R - very sensible IMO. If the worst happens & you can't find another job quickly enough you're right to prioritise the holiday further down, or off the list altogether.

Hope something comes your way quickly.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

576Posts Today

5,032Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin