Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • daand
    • By daand 18th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    daand
    Sent £5k overseas - no reply from seller
    • 18th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    Sent £5k overseas - no reply from seller 18th Mar 17 at 3:58 PM
    Hi guys, purchased a vehicle from the states, sent £5k via bank transfer to what seemed a business account, now no reply and it's been 2 months since original payment, seller dragging things on blaming paperwork etc.

Lloyds my bank cannot seem to do anything as its not fraud, any recommendations?
Page 1
    • alanq
    • By alanq 18th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    • 3,849 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    alanq
    • 18th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    Your bank will be unable to help you recover your money even if it is fraud. Paying by bank transfer does not give you the protection enjoyed when using a credit card. Many people are sold things overseas that turn out not even to exist.

See MSE article

CAB article
    Last edited by alanq; 18-03-2017 at 4:22 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert .com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 18th Mar 17, 5:49 PM
    • 24,174 Posts
    • 11,445 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:49 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:49 PM
    On the face of it you have been scammed.

However we have no idea what due diligence you did prior to sending the money.
    It could be customs etc etc but my nose suggests fraud.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 18th Mar 17, 5:56 PM
    • 8,697 Posts
    • 13,266 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:56 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:56 PM
    On the face of it you have been scammed.

However we have no idea what due diligence you did prior to sending the money.
    It could be customs etc etc but my nose suggests fraud.
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    Sad but likely. If you've not done business with them before then fly over and drive it to the shipping Co yourself.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • markwilkinson
    • By markwilkinson 18th Mar 17, 8:36 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 943 Thanks
    markwilkinson
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:36 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:36 PM
    Sounds like a typical eBay scam to me. Plenty of them out there, guys in E Europe etc selling high end sports cars very cheaply with listings claiming its guaranteed to arrive by shipping container. If you are bored its can be quite fun to message them and offer to fly over, pay cash and drive the car back yourself. They don't like that and the excuses for not accepting that are often amusing.

Sorry to say, but I think your money is long gone but I hope I am proved wrong.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    • 30,273 Posts
    • 19,151 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    Where did you see the ad for the car, ebay by any chnace ?

I dont rhink your going to see the car, money is gone but I also hope Im wrong.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 18-03-2017 at 8:49 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,225Users online

Martin's Twitter