Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charliegibbs
    • By charliegibbs 18th Mar 17, 12:07 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    charliegibbs
    Rental overlap after buying new home
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:07 PM
    Rental overlap after buying new home 18th Mar 17 at 12:07 PM
    My wife and I have bought our first home and are completing on the 24th March. We are currently in rented accommodation and our rental lease ends on the 12th April so there will be an overlap. When we notify utility companies etc of when we are moving do we need to state that it will be the 12th April that we move out or the 24th March? We are planning to move in on the 24th so will not actually be living in the rented property for the few weeks after.
Page 1
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 5,629 Posts
    • 10,492 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    You need to give the last day you are using the utilities, what does your lease say about heating when the home isn't occupied, but still 'yours'?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 18th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 5,143 Posts
    • 4,791 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    When we notify utility companies etc of when we are moving do we need to state that it will be the 12th April that we move out or the 24th March?
    Originally posted by charliegibbs
    You tell the utility companies for the new house that you moved in on 24 March.

You tell the utility companies for the old house that you moved out on 12 April.

The utility companies don't care where you're actually living or how many other houses you have.
    • charliegibbs
    • By charliegibbs 18th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    charliegibbs
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    The only thing I can find in the lease about heating is during the winter months if the property is not occupied the heating must be left on a "low" setting.

So we give the last day we physically use any utilities like electric water etc?
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 18th Mar 17, 12:39 PM
    • 10,375 Posts
    • 12,283 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:39 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:39 PM
    You are liable for the utility bills on the rented property up until the end of the tenancy agreement so this is the date that they need to be given. Presumably you will keep the keys until the end of the tenancy agreement unless you agree an early surrender.

Is your LL aware of your moving out early? Have you spoken to them about whether they intend to re let the property? if so, when?

Utility companies have access to other utility companies' data so if you find a huge bill for the last period of your tenancy then they will be able to cross check that you have moved somewhere else.

Best to speak to the LL and see their intentions as regards your current property and align the dates with whatever they are intend to do.
    • PrettyFlower90
    • By PrettyFlower90 18th Mar 17, 2:05 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    PrettyFlower90
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:05 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:05 PM
    We're in a similar position. However for renting you are responsible for all utility bills up until you end the tenancy and keys are handed back. Therefore you pay utility up until that date. So your new utility bill will start from day you moved into new house and you will also continue to pay utility in rented place. Just because you have moved out, that doesn't mean you don't pay bills etc. However unless you go back and forth between them for a week or so (to clean it etc), you won't be using any gas or much electric etc
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 39,236 Posts
    • 44,576 Thanks
    G_M
    • 18th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    I went on holiday to Gran Canary for two weeks and rented a house there. Do I still need to pay Council Tax and utilities back in England for those two weeks?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,039Posts Today

5,886Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin