Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    • 29Posts
    • 3Thanks
    allhailthekale
    Leaving tenancy early due to sociopathic neighbours
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    Leaving tenancy early due to sociopathic neighbours 18th Mar 17 at 11:53 AM
    Hello everyone,

I need some advice regarding my current tenancy and being harassed by my neighbours!

I moved into the apartment on 28 December 2017 and signed a 6 month lease. I had a cat at the time, but unfortunately had to have him rehomed due to my neighbours constantly making complaints about him being outside during the day when I was at work. I refuse to keep a cat indoors all day as I think it's cruel so I had him rehomed. This obviously resulted in me throwing away the bedding for him, food and litter box etc. The litter box is fairly large so I covered it with bin bags. I then threw it into one of the 3 industrial bin skips that we have on the premises. This was around midnight. This morning I have found the same litter box on the doormat outside my front door! Someone has actually gone into the bin, taken it away from the bin bags around it, pulled it out and put in right in front of my door! It is sociopathic behaviour. This is not the first time the neighbours have removed things from the bin either. They even complained about a bowl of cat biscuits I had outside my door!

I have a feeling I know who it is however as the police have said, because I cant prove it it will just go down on record as a reported incident. The person I think it is has made complaints about my cat being outside/bowl of cat biscuits directly to my landlady. He "owns" the complex if you like.

Obviously I no longer want to live here and I feel like I am being forced out. I feel as though I am not liked in the area as I am young and I rent as opposed to the other home owners who have actually bought their apartments.

I have 3 months left. It is now on record with the police what has happened. How can I get out this tenancy as soon as possible?

Many thanks!

Page 5
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 19th Mar 17, 2:23 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 3,529 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Since the OP describes the neighbours as sociopathic, I'm guessing there's a lot more to the story than just a litter tray being dumped at their door (which itself is definitely weird).

If something horrific such as this had happened, I imagine the first comment here would have been 'Why didn't you rehome your cat, since you knew the neighbours were nutters?'

Just for the record OP, plenty of people leave their cats outside during working hours. A cat that is used to being outside often doesn't take kindly to being kept inside permanently, so I can understand your reasons for rehoming. If the neighbour issues continue, I would speak to the landlord about getting out early. In any case, at least you don't have long left on the tenancy.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    There is something else going on and I think I am beginning to understand what it is. The clue is in the cleaning at midnight and the fuss about the cat.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 19th Mar 17, 2:29 PM
    • 4,560 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    marliepanda
    So you never leave the house?
    Originally posted by ViolaLass
    Not with my cats outside I don't.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 19th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 29,099 Posts
    • 54,062 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Cats are domestic pets, like dogs, rabbits or hamsters.

I would prefer to keep MY pet indoors than rehome it.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    Actually I wouldn't, if the cat is used to going out. If I could not let it out, I would try to find it a home where it could go out. Leaving it out all day is different of course.

The OP and the neighbours ALL appear to be over-reacting . What a fuss about nothing.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 19th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 3,529 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Actually I wouldn't, if the cat is used to going out. If I could not let it out, I would try to find it a home where it could go out. Leaving it out all day is different of course.

The OP and the neighbours ALL appear to be over-reacting . What a fuss about nothing.
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    They aren't. I would guess that the neighbours are fed up with the situation in general and the cat bit is just the last straw. Just think about living in a flat where your next door neighbour does their cleaning at midnight or in the early hours of the morning.
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 19th Mar 17, 4:33 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    sparky130a
    Just think about living in a flat where your next door neighbour does their cleaning at midnight or in the early hours of the morning.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    Surely it's just common courtesy not to do this?

As a flat dweller i wouldn't think of doing it after 7, maybe 8 at a push. And then only if essential...
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 19th Mar 17, 5:54 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 3,023 Thanks
    Kim kim
    The UK is such a dangerous place. Wolves, hyenas, eagles...
    Originally posted by ViolaLass
    Dogs are a risk, as sadly are people.
    We have someone beheading & mutilating cats around the south London & north Surrey area, it's been going on for ages now.

Foxes are a risk at night.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 19th Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 3,529 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Surely it's just common courtesy not to do this?

As a flat dweller i wouldn't think of doing it after 7, maybe 8 at a push. And then only if essential...
    Originally posted by sparky130a
    The OP has stated that they do their cleaning at midnight that is why they say that they put the cat litter tray into the dustbin at midnight. If you have someone cleaning their flat at midnight the cat is the least of your problems?
    Last edited by Cakeguts; 19-03-2017 at 6:58 PM.
    • sparky130a
    • By sparky130a 19th Mar 17, 7:20 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    sparky130a
    The OP has stated that they do their cleaning at midnight that is why they say that they put the cat litter tray into the dustbin at midnight. If you have someone cleaning their flat at midnight the cat is the least of your problems?
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    I was agreeing with you!
    • Newbie78
    • By Newbie78 19th Mar 17, 8:36 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Newbie78
    Well I'm not going to judge you on rehoming your cat or what a sociopath is

But your neighbours sound like total pains in the ***

Going out to a bin and opening something and putting on your front door is just plain nasty and weird, people like this have no life!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,403Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin