Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    • 29Posts
    • 3Thanks
    allhailthekale
    Leaving tenancy early due to sociopathic neighbours
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    Leaving tenancy early due to sociopathic neighbours 18th Mar 17 at 11:53 AM
    Hello everyone,

I need some advice regarding my current tenancy and being harassed by my neighbours!

I moved into the apartment on 28 December 2017 and signed a 6 month lease. I had a cat at the time, but unfortunately had to have him rehomed due to my neighbours constantly making complaints about him being outside during the day when I was at work. I refuse to keep a cat indoors all day as I think it's cruel so I had him rehomed. This obviously resulted in me throwing away the bedding for him, food and litter box etc. The litter box is fairly large so I covered it with bin bags. I then threw it into one of the 3 industrial bin skips that we have on the premises. This was around midnight. This morning I have found the same litter box on the doormat outside my front door! Someone has actually gone into the bin, taken it away from the bin bags around it, pulled it out and put in right in front of my door! It is sociopathic behaviour. This is not the first time the neighbours have removed things from the bin either. They even complained about a bowl of cat biscuits I had outside my door!

I have a feeling I know who it is however as the police have said, because I cant prove it it will just go down on record as a reported incident. The person I think it is has made complaints about my cat being outside/bowl of cat biscuits directly to my landlady. He "owns" the complex if you like.

Obviously I no longer want to live here and I feel like I am being forced out. I feel as though I am not liked in the area as I am young and I rent as opposed to the other home owners who have actually bought their apartments.

I have 3 months left. It is now on record with the police what has happened. How can I get out this tenancy as soon as possible?

Many thanks!

Page 4
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 4:56 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    It is just an opinion, I was simply trying to get across people have different views on things that's all. I apologise if it caused any kind of offence to you.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 18th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 30,174 Thanks
    Gers
    Sorry, are you a moderator here?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    There are not any moderators on this site!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-faqs?_ga=1.207903698.1936812736.1485712021

In addition I think some users need to be aware of the forum rules / etiquette so here's a reminder.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumetiquette.php

Especially:

Please be nice to all MoneySavers : There's no such thing as a stupid question and, even if you disagree, courtesy helps.

Please be sensitive : This may be a web forum, but you're still talking to other human beings. Repeatedly or harshly saying someone's wrong, especially on boards like DebtFreeWannabe, Bankruptcy or Benefits, can lead to upset.
    Last edited by Gers; 18-03-2017 at 6:29 PM.
    • emilybc
    • By emilybc 19th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    emilybc
    Having worked for several pet rehoming charities over he past few years, people abandoning their pets due to housing issues is a problem. However, that is an issue very much ignored by housing providers themselves and publicly shaming people who choose to responsibly rehome their pets achieves nothing.

Whilst I realise this post is beside the point, I feel the OP is getting attacked. Situations change and unfortunately sometimes people do need to rehome.
    • richardwilson1984
    • By richardwilson1984 19th Mar 17, 8:52 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    richardwilson1984
    Some of these comments are ridiculous.

OP, to me it sounds like very odd behaviour (going to the lengths of digging out the cat litter tray and purposefully dumping it at your door). You sound like you have done all you can to mitigate issues - going above and beyond in my opinion!

Have you told the LL of the on-going situation?
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 19th Mar 17, 12:07 PM
    • 15,355 Posts
    • 38,530 Thanks
    FBaby
    I had a cat at the time, but unfortunately had to have him rehomed due to my neighbours constantly making complaints about him being outside during the day when I was at work.
    I just don't believe that was the reason though. If you are such an animal lover, I struggle to believe that you would have decided to rehome your cat just because your neighbour complaints. Did you decision really had nothing to do with you breaking the rules of the lease?
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 19th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 4,385 Posts
    • 8,683 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Some of these comments are ridiculous.

OP, to me it sounds like very odd behaviour (going to the lengths of digging out the cat litter tray and purposefully dumping it at your door). You sound like you have done all you can to mitigate issues - going above and beyond in my opinion!

Have you told the LL of the on-going situation?
    Originally posted by richardwilson1984

You say that, but then why was it concealed and put in the bin at Midnight? Somethings not right about how it was put in the bin, suggesting it may have been in the wrong bin or a very bulky item causing the lid not to close etc. I don't know. But its not normal to wrap up items and put them in the bin at midnight. I don't believe people enjoy rooting through bins simply to annoy people.
    My neighbour used to dump their bags of rubbish in communal areas and outside the bins (out of laziness) one day there was an envelope inside with their address, so all of their rubbish was unceremoniously dumped on the carpet outside their flat in the hallway, and I did that every time the rubbish appeared in communal areas until they eventually learned to use the bin correctly. Was I sociopathic to do that? Nope, just annoyed at people being unneighbourly!
    Survey Earnings 2017 - 163
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 19th Mar 17, 12:44 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Kim kim
    I fail to see how my cat "annoyed" the neighbours. Funnily enough it is only my cat they resented being outside, never mind the other 5 or something cats that roam around out there.

I cannot leave due to my contract not ending for another 3 months unless I can get released early.
    Originally posted by allhailthekale
    I think it's fine to let cats come & go during the day, another thing to lock them out.
    Perhaps your neighbours are retired & their cats aren't locked out in all weathers to fend for themselves unable to get in to safety from predators.
    Was your cat howling at the door all day while you were out perhaps?
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 19th Mar 17, 12:52 PM
    • 4,744 Posts
    • 10,837 Thanks
    Money maker
    The op mentioned there were other factors, I think there's more to this than meets the eye.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 19th Mar 17, 1:01 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    As stated, I very firmly disagree with keeping cats locked indoors all day long. It is a matter of opinion at the end of the day.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 19th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    It was at midnight because I usually do all my cleaning at nighttime believe it or not. The bin has just been emptied so all 3 industrial bins were empty.

In reference to your example, in my opinion a conversation would have been better, not publicly humiliating people.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 19th Mar 17, 1:04 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    I have indeed. Hopefully she will allow me to leave the tenancy early.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 19th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 4,385 Posts
    • 8,683 Thanks
    marliepanda
    It was at midnight because I usually do all my cleaning at nighttime believe it or not. The bin has just been emptied so all 3 industrial bins were empty.

In reference to your example, in my opinion a conversation would have been better, not publicly humiliating people.

I knocked on the door in an attempt to converse, and many of us left notes near where the bins were left.

Some people are just disgusting, and cannot be helped. They only do anything when their smelly rubbish is left on their doorstep
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 19th Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 4,911 Posts
    • 6,770 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    ... their cats aren't locked out in all weathers to fend for themselves unable to get in to safety from predators.
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    The UK is such a dangerous place. Wolves, hyenas, eagles...
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 19th Mar 17, 1:20 PM
    • 4,385 Posts
    • 8,683 Thanks
    marliepanda
    The UK is such a dangerous place. Wolves, hyenas, eagles...
    Originally posted by ViolaLass

My cats have twice been chased back into my house by dogs... If I hadn't been home with the door open, what would have happened had the dogs caught them?

I back onto woodland where dog walkers tend to let their dogs off and as my boundary is hedges they find their way through.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 19th Mar 17, 1:22 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 1,963 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    My cats have twice been chased back into my house by dogs... If I hadn't been home with the door open, what would have happened had the dogs caught them?

I back onto woodland where dog walkers tend to let their dogs off and as my boundary is hedges they find their way through.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    They'd probably have just gone up a tree.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 19th Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    • 4,385 Posts
    • 8,683 Thanks
    marliepanda
    They'd probably have just gone up a tree.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Hahah one would, he's smart. The fatter one probably couldnt if he tried. Very short legs :P
    • Lloyd90
    • By Lloyd90 19th Mar 17, 1:35 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Lloyd90
    I think forgetting about the cat issue, you signed a 6 month tenancy, unless your landlord agree for you to end early you would be liable for costs in court.

Ask the land lord.

As regard to you definitions of harassment and a sociopath, please stop throwing around these thinking they are buzzwords that get you the response you want.

As for the Police. You are completely wasting their time, please stop, I imagine they did sound sympathetic on the phone, that's called being professional. They don't tell people on the phone what a time waster they are. Did they follow it up with any action? no.
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 19th Mar 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,911 Posts
    • 6,770 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    So you never leave the house?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 19th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 2,892 Thanks
    Cakeguts

Do you work shifts? I think for the benefit of the neighbour's sleep you need to do your cleaning early perhaps before you go to work on the evening shift otherwise cleaning around midnight is going to make too much noise when everyone else is in bed.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 19th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Since the OP describes the neighbours as sociopathic, I'm guessing there's a lot more to the story than just a litter tray being dumped at their door (which itself is definitely weird).

It's not like the guy nailed your cat to your door.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    If something horrific such as this had happened, I imagine the first comment here would have been 'Why didn't you rehome your cat, since you knew the neighbours were nutters?'

Just for the record OP, plenty of people leave their cats outside during working hours. A cat that is used to being outside often doesn't take kindly to being kept inside permanently, so I can understand your reasons for rehoming. If the neighbour issues continue, I would speak to the landlord about getting out early. In any case, at least you don't have long left on the tenancy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,112Users online

Martin's Twitter