Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    • 28Posts
    • 3Thanks
    allhailthekale
    Leaving tenancy early due to sociopathic neighbours
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    Leaving tenancy early due to sociopathic neighbours 18th Mar 17 at 10:53 AM
    Hello everyone,

I need some advice regarding my current tenancy and being harassed by my neighbours!

I moved into the apartment on 28 December 2017 and signed a 6 month lease. I had a cat at the time, but unfortunately had to have him rehomed due to my neighbours constantly making complaints about him being outside during the day when I was at work. I refuse to keep a cat indoors all day as I think it's cruel so I had him rehomed. This obviously resulted in me throwing away the bedding for him, food and litter box etc. The litter box is fairly large so I covered it with bin bags. I then threw it into one of the 3 industrial bin skips that we have on the premises. This was around midnight. This morning I have found the same litter box on the doormat outside my front door! Someone has actually gone into the bin, taken it away from the bin bags around it, pulled it out and put in right in front of my door! It is sociopathic behaviour. This is not the first time the neighbours have removed things from the bin either. They even complained about a bowl of cat biscuits I had outside my door!

I have a feeling I know who it is however as the police have said, because I cant prove it it will just go down on record as a reported incident. The person I think it is has made complaints about my cat being outside/bowl of cat biscuits directly to my landlady. He "owns" the complex if you like.

Obviously I no longer want to live here and I feel like I am being forced out. I feel as though I am not liked in the area as I am young and I rent as opposed to the other home owners who have actually bought their apartments.

I have 3 months left. It is now on record with the police what has happened. How can I get out this tenancy as soon as possible?

Many thanks!

Page 3
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 1:57 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    Oh wow. Thank you for your honesty I suppose. How have I antagonised my neighbours?
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    Okay. sure. Thank you.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 18th Mar 17, 2:00 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 4,300 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Well I have to say my two lived outside when I wasn't home though they did have a kennel to go into if it was bad weather.....I found out later that the neighbours always knew when we were at work because they were in their houses lol

I would have an issue with the bowl of biscuits as I'd be concerned that they were attracting vermin but that's just me - also if they were dirtying in my garden I'd have an issue as well.

In fairness to the op I think she did the right thing in making sure that the cat was rehomed responsibly but I think she's hoping to cut short her tenancy as nothing she's mentioned would justify the early release.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 2:04 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    That's totally fair enough. Of course I vetted the people beforehand. He loves it with them! The lady sends me pics all the time.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 18th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel

In fairness to the op I think she did the right thing in making sure that the cat was rehomed responsibly but I think she's hoping to cut short her tenancy as nothing she's mentioned would justify the early release.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Unfortunately, while there are many thousands of cats and dogs unwanted and abandoned each year, every person who doesn't take the responsibility of pet ownership seriously and gets rid on a whim is just adding to the problem and directly contributing to the number of animals that have to be destroyed because there aren't enough homes for them.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    Not that it's any of your business of that I need to prove myself to you, but firstly, I am a vegan. I love animals. Secondly, I detest people that abandon their animals. This situation was beyond my control. I did not abandon my cat, I rehomed him to the right people.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 18th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Not that it's any of your business of that I need to prove myself to you, but firstly, I am a vegan. I love animals. Secondly, I detest people that abandon their animals. This situation was beyond my control. I did not abandon my cat, I rehomed him to the right people.
    Originally posted by allhailthekale
    People who could have rescued a cat that was actually homeless if they hadn't taken yours, that had a home and an owner who was perfectly capable of caring for it but for some reason didn't want to anymore.

Being a vegan means nothing if you treat the animals in your care poorly.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    As I have said, it has been a situation beyond my control.

Thank you so much for your honesty though.
    • mrginge
    • By mrginge 18th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    • 3,758 Posts
    • 6,401 Thanks
    mrginge
    Sometimes my cat is in all day, sometimes it's out. Sometimes it stops out all night.

It's a cat. It does what it wants and I just feed it and open the door when it shouts at me.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 18th Mar 17, 2:29 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 4,300 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Red Squirrel

Now I think you are being unfair.

Yes there are plenty of animals in rescue centres needing homes - and I could get into a long debate about how you fix that (especially after the farce I went through when I tried to adopt a dog but I digress) but given the OP's cat was rehomed - and not abandoned - is neither here nor there.

It has nothing to do with the OP wanting to terminate her lease early dos can I suggest the thread is brought back onto subject and not taken off at a tangent
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 18th Mar 17, 2:50 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    Penitent
    I know this is neither here nor there, but I think you're going too far calling a litter tray on your doorstep sociopathic. It's not like the guy nailed your cat to your door. I also agree with them about leaving food out. We had a neighbour who did this. It attracted strays. The neighbour is now gone, but the strays are still mooching about, getting into fights, pooping in gardens, etc.

To answer your question: you can ask the landlord to let you out of your contract early, but I'm not sure the level of behaviour you're describing will compel him to do so. If he refuses and you're particularly distressed by your neighbours, your only option would be to move elsewhere and pay rent on both properties during the overlap period (I had to do this a few years ago due to a different issue).
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 18th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 4,863 Posts
    • 6,714 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    People who could have rescued a cat that was actually homeless if they hadn't taken yours, that had a home and an owner who was perfectly capable of caring for it but for some reason didn't want to anymore.

Being a vegan means nothing if you treat the animals in your care poorly.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Jeez, will you please stop? You've made your point, you don't approve of the what the OP did but banging on about it isn't helping anyone.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 18th Mar 17, 3:10 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Jeez, will you please stop? You've made your point, you don't approve of the what the OP did but banging on about it isn't helping anyone.
    Originally posted by ViolaLass
    Sorry, are you a moderator here?
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 18th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Red Squirrel

Now I think you are being unfair.

Yes there are plenty of animals in rescue centres needing homes - and I could get into a long debate about how you fix that (especially after the farce I went through when I tried to adopt a dog but I digress) but given the OP's cat was rehomed - and not abandoned - is neither here nor there.

It has nothing to do with the OP wanting to terminate her lease early dos can I suggest the thread is brought back onto subject and not taken off at a tangent
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    I'm afraid I feel that it is an atitude that should be picked up on wherever it happens to be displayed.

I'll leave it there though, I just hope the OP doesn't get another cat given his lack of understanding of the responsibility and commitment it should involve.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 3:14 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    I feel really sorry for you.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 18th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 2,058 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I read some of this post and the bit I didn't understand was how the cat was supposed to get outside from an apartment. Assuming that the front door of the apartment goes out into an inside communal area how did the cat get from the outside of the building to the inside communal areas to get to its food bowl? Or did it roam around inside the building all day? How did it use the litter tray during the day if it was in the communal areas and the litter tray was in the flat?

I can easily see what was annoying the neighbours.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 3:19 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    Each flat has its own front door which leads out into the open. It isn't like a typical block of flats. I let the cat out and in.There aren't stairs or lifts or anything - it isn't like that.
    • Lemonsqueezer78
    • By Lemonsqueezer78 18th Mar 17, 3:28 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    Lemonsqueezer78
    Red Squirrel, give it a rest please. You don't know the OP and frankly you have no idea how easy or hard they found it feeling like they had no choice but to re-home their cat. And finding it a new home to live in, where it is clearly happy and cared for is nothing the OP should be lambasted for over and over.

I also feel that giving up a pet should be an absolute last resort, however these things DO sometimes happen in life and that's all there is to it. I wouldn't be a silly as to suggest that re-homing a pet should never, ever happen under any circumstances. But at that point, what matters is to ensure the pet is re-homed responsibly - which seems to be the case here. Being a keyboard warrior about it doesn't help anyone. I'm sure the OP felt extremely upset about the whole thing.

Incidentally, I also had a cat growing up who spent 90% of her time outside. That is where she wanted to be and would ask to be let out. She was healthy, happy and much loved - and lived to a ripe old age. That really isn't unusual for some cats. There are several others in my neighbourhood that are also outside the vast majority of the time. Yes, some cats will stay indoors but that isn't the case for all of them. They are actually natural roamers and hunters.

Jees, its ridiculous the number of people that think anything different to "their" way is some kind of abuse.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 18th Mar 17, 3:41 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    Penitent
    Jees, its ridiculous the number of people that think anything different to "their" way is some kind of abuse.
    Originally posted by Lemonsqueezer78
    I agree. I could have done without the OP's repeated comments about keeping a housecat being cruel (5 times on one page!).
    Last edited by Penitent; 18-03-2017 at 3:45 PM.
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 18th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 4,863 Posts
    • 6,714 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    Sorry, are you a moderator here?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Nope, just someone who is pointing out that You Have Made Your Point.

Because apparently you haven't noticed.

It's a public forum, you don't have to be a moderator to comment on other people's posts.
    Last edited by ViolaLass; 18-03-2017 at 4:00 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,747Users online

Martin's Twitter