Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    • 28Posts
    • 3Thanks
    allhailthekale
    Leaving tenancy early due to sociopathic neighbours
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    Leaving tenancy early due to sociopathic neighbours 18th Mar 17 at 10:53 AM
    Hello everyone,

I need some advice regarding my current tenancy and being harassed by my neighbours!

I moved into the apartment on 28 December 2017 and signed a 6 month lease. I had a cat at the time, but unfortunately had to have him rehomed due to my neighbours constantly making complaints about him being outside during the day when I was at work. I refuse to keep a cat indoors all day as I think it's cruel so I had him rehomed. This obviously resulted in me throwing away the bedding for him, food and litter box etc. The litter box is fairly large so I covered it with bin bags. I then threw it into one of the 3 industrial bin skips that we have on the premises. This was around midnight. This morning I have found the same litter box on the doormat outside my front door! Someone has actually gone into the bin, taken it away from the bin bags around it, pulled it out and put in right in front of my door! It is sociopathic behaviour. This is not the first time the neighbours have removed things from the bin either. They even complained about a bowl of cat biscuits I had outside my door!

I have a feeling I know who it is however as the police have said, because I cant prove it it will just go down on record as a reported incident. The person I think it is has made complaints about my cat being outside/bowl of cat biscuits directly to my landlady. He "owns" the complex if you like.

Obviously I no longer want to live here and I feel like I am being forced out. I feel as though I am not liked in the area as I am young and I rent as opposed to the other home owners who have actually bought their apartments.

I have 3 months left. It is now on record with the police what has happened. How can I get out this tenancy as soon as possible?

Many thanks!

Page 2
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 18th Mar 17, 11:47 AM
    • 9,650 Posts
    • 13,110 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Perhaps you annoyed the neighbours by allowing your cat to !!!! in their gardens or communal gardens. I can see how that would put people's backs up.

You say that you cannot up and leave at the moment as that is not an option for you. Is that only because you currently have a fixed term contract or is there some other reason? If it's only down to having a fixed term contract then either try to negotiate an early surrender or front it out until 27th June.

If you want to read more about ending an AST see G_M's guide to Ending/Renewing as AST.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    When I viewed the property initially I was given the impression that it would be fine for my cat if he went out. The litter box was covered with bin bags. Regardless of what time of the day it was and regardless of who saw me, it is abnormal behaviour for someone to go into an industrial bin, climb over the top to reach the box, move the bags off of it and go through the effort of pulling out to dump on my doorstep.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    I fail to see how my cat "annoyed" the neighbours. Funnily enough it is only my cat they resented being outside, never mind the other 5 or something cats that roam around out there.

I cannot leave due to my contract not ending for another 3 months unless I can get released early.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 18th Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    • 4,054 Posts
    • 7,979 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Why did you got to such efforts to conceal the litter box? I'd have just put it in the bin, as broken up as I could get it.

Maybe the other cats had access indoors so were not constantly locked out? Maybe their owners didn't leave 'snacks' out for them whilst hunting so they didn't attract other animals and vermin?
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    Well, I concealed it to make it look a bit better and I didn't want to just throw it in as it was?

You clearly do not own cats. You have a very tunnelled vision at owning animals.
    • Lunchbox
    • By Lunchbox 18th Mar 17, 12:32 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    Lunchbox
    If people put things in the incorrect bins, the council refuse to collect them and/or fine the freeholder which is passed on to the leaseholders via the service charge. Putting something like a cat littler tray not securely wrapped inside a bag and just 'covered' would result in our bins not being collected. They weren't emptied when people put unwrapped Christmas trees in them. If this is the case, it's perfectly understandable for a property manager or an irritated neighbour to remove it from the bin so that it gets collected/a fine avoided.

I also don't think the cat being outside is the problem, it's it being in the communal areas. This is unacceptable in most blocks of flats, as is having food out for it. I'm surprised that it didn't constitute a breach of the lease.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 18th Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    • 4,054 Posts
    • 7,979 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Well, I concealed it to make it look a bit better and I didn't want to just throw it in as it was?

You clearly do not own cats. You have a very tunnelled vision at owning animals.
    Originally posted by allhailthekale

No I just have an accurate vision of what is sociopathic and what isn't.

Its a bin. You chuck in whatever you want according to the council bin policy. Putting it in at night covered in big bags, plural, seems bizarre.

There must be a reason the neighbours are unhappy with your cat and not the several others. Maybe your behaviour is the issue, not the cat.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 1:02 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    I agree with you, a bin is a bin.

There is nothing wrong with my behaviour at all. I never have parties, never play loud music etc.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 18th Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Unfortunately I cannot just get up and leave. It is not an option for me to move right now. I understand animals are for life and I understand that. I mean, I'm a vegan, I love animals. I love my cat that much that I know he deserves a home where he has the freedom to roam around. I have seen the new family and he is having a great time. It is far more crueller to keep a cat confined into a small flat all day.
    No you don't.

If you did you wouldn't have got rid of your cat based on a few minor complaints with neighbours, especially when you only had 3 months on your lease and could have moved that soon!

Cats have the right to roam, whether the neighbours like that or not. You could have just ignored them, or you could have kept him in while you were at work and then let him out in the evenings. There was absolutely no need to dump your cat like you did, so at least be honest about the reasons, because the ones you are claiming are clearly not the real story.
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 18th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 4,860 Posts
    • 6,696 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    OP, have you tried putting the litter tray back in the bin?

Even better, could you freecycle it? Or give it to the people who took your cat? Or give it to a cat shelter?
    • boliston
    • By boliston 18th Mar 17, 1:11 PM
    • 2,051 Posts
    • 1,583 Thanks
    boliston
    most leases are strict about leaving items in communal areas and a food bowl would normally be a definite "no-no"

my oh has 3 cats but they are certainly not allowed to roam communal areas and most leases would not allow animals in communal parts
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 10,415 Thanks
    GwylimT
    Whats wrong with locking an animal outside all day?

So long as they are not likely to cause a nusicence I fail to see the issue. Consider farm cats and dogs who live outside all year. If the cat was howling at the neighbours all day I agree it is not acceptable.

Certainly of the cats I've lived around I'd sooner have one locked permanently outside than inside. Dogs and rabbits can also be kept very well as outside pets.

Given the cat has presumably had a mixed indoor/outdoor life it sounds like the right decision has been made to rehome it.

Back to the OP I'd try and sit it out. The cat is sorted out and it may turn out to be a nice enough place to live. If not just pay up for the rest of the lease and move out.
    Originally posted by vqmismatch
    Farm cats and dogs don't live outside, they have barns or pet pens to live in.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    Thank you very much for your honesty and the time taken to reply to my thread.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 1:27 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    Of course farm cats and dogs spend most of their time outside..
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Mar 17, 1:37 PM
    • 6,824 Posts
    • 4,001 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Farm cats and dogs don't live outside, they have barns or pet pens to live in.
    Originally posted by GwylimT

And as a home checker for a number of dog rescues, my instruction is to report any sign that a resident pet is kept outside, as that means instant refusal. Except for a few dogs who do prefer being outside (notably street dogs brought from Rumania), the majority are home comfort lovers ,so rescues choose owners willing to offer indoor accommodation.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 18th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    And as a home checker for a number of dog rescues, my instruction is to report any sign that a resident pet is kept outside, as that means instant refusal. Except for a few dogs who do prefer being outside (notably street dogs brought from Rumania), the majority are home comfort lovers ,so rescues choose owners willing to offer indoor accommodation.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Loads of cats in this country spend a lot of their time out and about. Its perfectly legal and it doesn't mean they don't spend time in their houses. There are lots of things that the OP has done badly but letting his cat out is not one of them!
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    Excuse me? What have I done badly?
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    With respect, dogs and cats are different.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 18th Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Excuse me? What have I done badly?
    You have antagonised your neighbours and you got rid of your poor cat like it was an old piece of furniture you didn't have room for anymore.
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 18th Mar 17, 1:56 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 6,800 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    Hello everyone,

I need some advice regarding my current tenancy and being harassed by my neighbours!

I have 3 months left. It is now on record with the police what has happened. How can I get out this tenancy as soon as possible?

Many thanks!

Send a advanced notice to quit dated one month + one day before the tenancy expires .

Or buy out the contract period from the landlord.

Can you leave without paying, I doubt it unless the landlord grants you some good will
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,373Posts Today

5,511Users online

Martin's Twitter