Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    • 29Posts
    • 3Thanks
    allhailthekale
    Leaving tenancy early due to sociopathic neighbours
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    Leaving tenancy early due to sociopathic neighbours 18th Mar 17 at 11:53 AM
    Hello everyone,

I need some advice regarding my current tenancy and being harassed by my neighbours!

I moved into the apartment on 28 December 2017 and signed a 6 month lease. I had a cat at the time, but unfortunately had to have him rehomed due to my neighbours constantly making complaints about him being outside during the day when I was at work. I refuse to keep a cat indoors all day as I think it's cruel so I had him rehomed. This obviously resulted in me throwing away the bedding for him, food and litter box etc. The litter box is fairly large so I covered it with bin bags. I then threw it into one of the 3 industrial bin skips that we have on the premises. This was around midnight. This morning I have found the same litter box on the doormat outside my front door! Someone has actually gone into the bin, taken it away from the bin bags around it, pulled it out and put in right in front of my door! It is sociopathic behaviour. This is not the first time the neighbours have removed things from the bin either. They even complained about a bowl of cat biscuits I had outside my door!

I have a feeling I know who it is however as the police have said, because I cant prove it it will just go down on record as a reported incident. The person I think it is has made complaints about my cat being outside/bowl of cat biscuits directly to my landlady. He "owns" the complex if you like.

Obviously I no longer want to live here and I feel like I am being forced out. I feel as though I am not liked in the area as I am young and I rent as opposed to the other home owners who have actually bought their apartments.

I have 3 months left. It is now on record with the police what has happened. How can I get out this tenancy as soon as possible?

Many thanks!

Page 1
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    • 5,912 Posts
    • 10,936 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    Was the bin general waste or recycling? A litter tray should be cleaned and put in the recycling bin.

Why food outside when the cat has food at home? Or do you think it is acceptable to lock an animal outsidr all day?
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:05 PM
    The industrial bins are for general waste. My cat was fed in the morning and he would go outside during the day (which he liked doing may I add). I had the biscuits in the bowl for him just as little snacks through the day.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 18th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 9,873 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    Well firstly this all seems very out of proportion. Certainly not sociopathic..

You should not be leaving your cat outside all day if it is disturbing the neighbours. It is also far crueller to rehome a cat that has spent its life with you rather than keep it outside. Also, why have cat biscuits outside your door? That just encourages other animals to what I assume is a communal flat area.

What would the police do about complaints and putting a litter tray outside your door? Had you put it in the wrong bin by any chance? A recycling only one?

None of these issues seem that big a deal nor a reason to end your tenancy. There is only one person coming across sociopathic in this thread.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 18th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 9,873 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Was the bin general waste or recycling? A litter tray should be cleaned and put in the recycling bin.

Why food outside when the cat has food at home? Or do you think it is acceptable to lock an animal outsidr all day?
    Originally posted by GwylimT

Litter trays are hard plastic so wouldn't go in recycling in my area. Each area is different.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Mar 17, 12:08 PM
    • 5,912 Posts
    • 10,936 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:08 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:08 PM
    The industrial bins are for general waste. My cat was fed in the morning and he would go outside during the day (which he liked doing may I add). I had the biscuits in the bowl for him just as little snacks through the day.
    Originally posted by allhailthekale
    So you put the tray in the wrong bin.

So you left food for other animals to eat really, as I assume you're not using a microchip feeder. How do you know if he was happy, you weren't there to witness him.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:09 PM
    So another person actually bending over into the large bin, pulling out a litter box and placing it on my door is not abnormal behaviour? Ok then, that is fair enough. I find it abnormal for someone to do that.

My cat was not disturbing the neighbours. There are other cats that went out and they all got along with one another.

The reason I called the police is because I have had previous complaints about petty issues and I do consider pulling out a litter box and placing it in front of my front door borderline harassment.

Regarding keeping a cat outdoors all day, it is each to their own. I find it cruel to keep cats locked in all day personally.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 12:11 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:11 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:11 PM
    It's a few cats, not a pack of Hyenas. It's a bowl of biscuits, not a 3 course meal.

Bearing in mind he waited to be let out in the morning, I am going to assume he was happy with going out.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 18th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 5,912 Posts
    • 10,936 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    I just noticed that your lease doesn't even start for another 9 months. Each to their own can't really be relied upon where a living creature is concerned, but then I'm not someone who just gets rid of animals as though they're disposable.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 18th Mar 17, 12:12 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 9,873 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Youre out all day. You have zero idea what you car does all day. He could be sat on the doorstep, crying, trying to get in the door when other people enter. Youre not there. You have no idea.

Anyway you've rehomed the poor little thing anyway so surely youll have no more issues.

Depending on the reason for the litter tray being pulled out, it is not harassment and youre wasting police time.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    Animals are absolutely not disposable but I have a kind heart to have him rehomed with people who are able to let him out as I believe it is cruel keeping cats, as hunters, locked indoors all day.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 12:15 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    I am going to take a guess into saying you agree with cats being locked indoors all day. I disagree with that entirely but it is each to their own.

I rang 101 and they were very understanding and appreciated my issue.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 18th Mar 17, 12:17 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 9,873 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Animals are absolutely not disposable but I have a kind heart to have him rehomed with people who are able to let him out as I believe it is cruel keeping cats, as hunters, locked indoors all day.

Cats are domestic pets, like dogs, rabbits or hamsters.

I would prefer to keep MY pet indoors than rehome it.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 12:19 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    If you believe that then that is fine. I am not disputing your beliefs at all but I think it is far crueller keeping a natural hunter locked in all day than it being able to roam around free outside.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 18th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 2,036 Posts
    • 5,551 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I would move myself before rehoming my animals. They're supposed to be for life, not till the first time they become inconvenient.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    Unfortunately I cannot just get up and leave. It is not an option for me to move right now. I understand animals are for life and I understand that. I mean, I'm a vegan, I love animals. I love my cat that much that I know he deserves a home where he has the freedom to roam around. I have seen the new family and he is having a great time. It is far more crueller to keep a cat confined into a small flat all day.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 18th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    • 10,906 Posts
    • 12,790 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    To answer your original question.

You have a 6 month tenancy agreement and therefore are legally bound to it.

You can approach the landlord and ask for an early surrender. They may agree, they may not, but if they do agree it is likely to incur fees for re advertising etc.

So, if you are adamant that you do not wish to live there you need to speak to the LL and see what arrangements they are prepared to make (if any).

You mention 'other petty things' that the neighbours complained about.

It could be, for some reason, they have 'taken against' you. If you cannot resolve these issues with your neighbours - have you spoken to them to find out the problems? - then you can ask for an early surrender or stick it out until the end of your tenancy.
    • allhailthekale
    • By allhailthekale 18th Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    allhailthekale
    Thanks very much for not attacking me for the decision made with rehoming my cat. Okay, I will do. Thank you.
    • vqmismatch
    • By vqmismatch 18th Mar 17, 12:37 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    vqmismatch

Originally posted by GwylimT
    Whats wrong with locking an animal outside all day?

So long as they are not likely to cause a nusicence I fail to see the issue. Consider farm cats and dogs who live outside all year. If the cat was howling at the neighbours all day I agree it is not acceptable.

Certainly of the cats I've lived around I'd sooner have one locked permanently outside than inside. Dogs and rabbits can also be kept very well as outside pets.

Given the cat has presumably had a mixed indoor/outdoor life it sounds like the right decision has been made to rehome it.

Back to the OP I'd try and sit it out. The cat is sorted out and it may turn out to be a nice enough place to live. If not just pay up for the rest of the lease and move out.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 18th Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    • 16,148 Posts
    • 40,062 Thanks
    FBaby
    Did your Landlord agree to you having a cat? I'm surprise if that was the case that there wasn't a cap flap installed. Or could it be that you didn't tell your landlord and so couldn't put a cat flap and therefore your cat had to be outside all day long. Cat got annoyed, started meowing non stop to get in. Neighbour got tired of it and as they know your landlord called them to let them know. Landlord told you that you that your ast makes it clear you can't have pets, so you rehome the cat.

Then you try to dump a litter box (is it one of those big ones?) in general waste, wait until midnight so you are not seen, but as it happens, your neighbour is still up and see you through the window, so goes and retrieve it and place it at your door with the underlying message that you can't dump such items in that bin?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,023Posts Today

7,115Users online

Martin's Twitter