Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 18th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    • 13,798Posts
    • 127,576Thanks
    mardatha
    0 WOW
    Aldi price increases
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:09 AM
    0 WOW
    Aldi price increases 18th Mar 17 at 11:09 AM
    Anybody else shocked at the price rises in Aldi recently? After paying around £25 every time I go, it's now always around £32, and I buy roughly the same stuff, just quantity varies a wee bit.
Page 1
    • robin58
    • By robin58 18th Mar 17, 6:31 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 1,465 Thanks
    robin58
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:31 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:31 PM
    If you want to be shocked, price comparison your shop at Aldi with the other supermarkets. Then be really shocked.

I know I can walk into Aldi and come out if there with about 20 items for £13. If I tried that in my local Sainsburys, my bill would be a minimum of £22+ for the same equivalent items.

Unfortunately with the changes in the currency rates and the fact prices were already at rock bottom, prices even at the 'discounters' will start to go up
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 18th Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    PLRFD
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    The OP isn't wrong though.
    • just trying
    • By just trying 18th Mar 17, 10:02 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    just trying
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:02 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:02 PM
    No, there not wrong prices are creeping up, I was in today and noticed increases again. It's pennies but if your budgets tight, it all counts.
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER 098
    WILL SAVE ATLEAST £500!.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 18th Mar 17, 10:27 PM
    • 13,798 Posts
    • 127,576 Thanks
    mardatha
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:27 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:27 PM
    Just seems really noticeable recently after years of being much cheaper. I've gone back to getting Sainsbugs online as it's easier for me than trekking up to Aldi. When it was so much cheaper I did it, but now it doesn't seem to be worth it.
    • just trying
    • By just trying 18th Mar 17, 10:47 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    just trying
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:47 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:47 PM
    I think you're right, the increases are at the stage where it is ,is it worth it.

I started shopping again at Aldi again recently, was Lidl before. I've noticed for months there prices creeping up, especially butter.
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER 098
    WILL SAVE ATLEAST £500!.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 19th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    • 13,798 Posts
    • 127,576 Thanks
    mardatha
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    If enough people do it, then they might reduce their prices.... lol it's more like psychological warfare than buying a pint of milk nowadays!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 19th Mar 17, 8:39 AM
    • 13,798 Posts
    • 127,576 Thanks
    mardatha
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:39 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:39 AM
    Well... if we had voted to stay in Europe then I'm just as sure that prices would have gone up, and they would have blamed it on us voting to stay in.. They use anything as cover to make a profit from us poor sods!
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 19th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 967 Thanks
    NigeWick
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    I voted out in the full realisation that we would be in for a tough few years. But, when Italy drops out of the Euro and the EU collapses because the Germans have not got enough money to keep Italy afloat we will be well down the road to recovery where the other 27 countries will be in a mess. As to immigration, we need certain types of people coming here to pay taxes so HMGov Plc can continue to pay my pensions. But, we need to be able to say who can and who can not come here.

The fall in the pound means that we can go straight to WTO trade rules and still be able to successfully do business with the EU countries.

Looking on the bright side, food products from outside the EU will become cheaper once we're out.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 20-03-2017 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 19th Mar 17, 9:15 AM
    • 13,798 Posts
    • 127,576 Thanks
    mardatha
    I'd agree that food from outside EU will become available and we will get good deals. I can remember life before the EU and we managed just fine! In fact when we joined, prices went through the roof. So when we leave., prices will go through the roof. Either way us poor bl00dy shoppers pay through the nose!
    But we better keep the thread on topic and off politics or we will get dropped through the trapdoor into outer darkness
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 19th Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    • 6,894 Posts
    • 5,234 Thanks
    daveyjp
    OP. Its called inflation and has been around for a few hundred years.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 19th Mar 17, 9:26 AM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 2,988 Thanks
    Kim kim
    We've recently had an Aldi open nearby (about 8 miles).
    I've been a couple of times, I think it's fantastic.
    The quality of the fruit & veg is great.
    You can't get everything there, as they don't have all the cereal & cleaning product brands, but they have enough for 3 out of 4 weeks.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Mar 17, 10:27 AM
    • 2,689 Posts
    • 17,647 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Kim Kim have your tried their own brands ? I use their laundry liquid, washing up liquid, dishwasher tablets, bleach, bathroom cleaner, multi purpose cleaner with bleach & anti-bac spray.

Their granola is really nice and we use their Harvest Morn instant oats golden syrup
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 19-03-2017 at 10:36 AM.
    Aims for 2017 -
    1. save as much as possible. spend as little as possible but still have a social life !
    2. no takeaways !
    3. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 19th Mar 17, 12:07 PM
    • 5,079 Posts
    • 6,478 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Aldi's butter is English, So where does the exchange rate against the Euro or the US Dollar come into it?
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 19-03-2017 at 1:34 PM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 19th Mar 17, 12:32 PM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 2,988 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Kim Kim have your tried their own brands ? I use their laundry liquid, washing up liquid, dishwasher tablets, bleach, bathroom cleaner, multi purpose cleaner with bleach & anti-bac spray.

Their granola is really nice and we use their Harvest Morn instant oats golden syrup
    Originally posted by Skint yet Again
    I hardly buy any cleaning products as my cleaner brings her own, so things last me forever.
    I do buy dishwasher tablets, washing capsules & fabric softener - but I'm a die hard brand loyal. I've tried dishwasher tablets other than quantum, but they aren't as good. I like Ariel colour & Lenor or comfort.
    I'll use any bleach.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 19th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 5,079 Posts
    • 6,478 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I hardly buy any cleaning products as my cleaner brings her own, so things last me forever.
    I do buy dishwasher tablets, washing capsules & fabric softener - but I'm a die hard brand loyal. I've tried dishwasher tablets other than quantum, but they aren't as good. I like Ariel colour & Lenor or comfort.
    I'll use any bleach.
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    Aldi's dishwasher tablets work very well. Ditto the washing powder. They are worth trying.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 19th Mar 17, 5:10 PM
    • 7,157 Posts
    • 15,418 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    Aldi's dishwasher tablets work very well. Ditto the washing powder. They are worth trying.
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    I have problems with several brands of washing powder/liquid and fabric conditioner, but Aldi's is great. It doesn't irritate at all, smells pleasant, and washes/softens well. And pricewise, I can't fault it. I've only recently started using them, but will continue.

As for the other cleaning products, they're as good as branded ones. My daughter uses Aldi nappies and wipes for her daughter, and we use Aldi toiletries a lot of the time. My 17 year old son prefers their deodorant to brand names.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    • 22,650 Posts
    • 46,959 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    It's something I'll watch out for this week.

I've drastically cut down on my grocery shopping over recent weeks and now usually shop every 10 days or so. So far in March I have spent less than £10. Feb was less than £25 for the whole month.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 20th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,469 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    My daughters skin used to dictate that we used Fairy non bio, switched over to Almat non bio a month or so back and she's not even noticed.
    My purse on the other hand is very happy.
    Last edited by AylesburyDuck; 20-03-2017 at 8:37 PM.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 20th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    • 9,789 Posts
    • 23,793 Thanks
    suki1964
    Prices are going up across the board because we pay for oil in US$

While the pound in down against the dollar, we pay higher prices, no matter where the butter is made
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,706Posts Today

7,770Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: It's been everywhere, so why not here. Which Hogwart's house should you've been in (Ive put key traits to help)...

• Quick favour if uv graduated within around the last year. I could do with pic of a student loan statement (no personal info) inc interest

• RT @ValeOfLevenCU: Why not sign up to @MartinSLewis https://t.co/kxMBedCNNw weekly email for free, impartial tips? #ThriftyThursday http?

• Follow Martin