Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 18th Mar 17, 11:03 AM
    • 888Posts
    • 280Thanks
    JohnB47
    'Chip' instructions with Think printer ink cartridge
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:03 AM
    'Chip' instructions with Think printer ink cartridge 18th Mar 17 at 11:03 AM
    I've just received my first replacement cartridge for my Brother printer. I decided to go for 'Think' ones.

I'm curious about what it says on the plastic wrapper around the cartridge. It seems to be giving instructions for fitting a 'detachable chip', although there is already what looks like a chip in place.

Why give me instructions for fitting something that's already there?

Am I supposed to do anything about this or just ignore it?

Ta.
Page 1
    • were
    • By were 18th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    • 516 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    were
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:59 AM
    I known noting about these printers. However taking a stab in the dark think that the original chip will interrogate the cartridge and will not let you use compatible brand cartridges, or only print a certain number of characters till it deems itself empty, or both.

The new chip will probably bypass the printers detection mechanism and letting you plug in a compatible cartridge. Bet a better answer is on google, but do not think i am far off the mark
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 18th Mar 17, 3:18 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 18th Mar 17, 3:18 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 3:18 PM
    I known noting about these printers. However taking a stab in the dark think that the original chip will interrogate the cartridge and will not let you use compatible brand cartridges, or only print a certain number of characters till it deems itself empty, or both.

The new chip will probably bypass the printers detection mechanism and letting you plug in a compatible cartridge. Bet a better answer is on google, but do not think i am far off the mark
    Originally posted by were
    Hmmm. I'm still confused.

"...the original chip will interrogate the cartridge and will not let you use compatible brand cartridges."

How will the original chip interrogate the replacement cartridge? The original chip is in the cartridge that I will remove and discard. (You do realise that I'm talking here about a chip that is fitted to the cartridge, not somewhere else on the printer?).

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I'm hoping that I can simply plug the new cartridge in and in will work. Just puzzled by the instructions - they seem redundant.
    • were
    • By were 18th Mar 17, 3:30 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    were
    • 18th Mar 17, 3:30 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 3:30 PM
    For some printers you get chips, for other you get software and other chip programmers.

The cartridges also have chips in them. The printer identifies genuine cartridges via this method

How about posting the exact make and model of your printer, and also what you bought?
    Last edited by were; 18-03-2017 at 3:33 PM.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 18th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    For some printers you get chips, for other you get software and other chip programmers.

The cartridges also have chips in them. The printer identifies genuine cartridges via this method

How about posting the exact make and model of your printer, and also what you bought?
    Originally posted by were
    I have a Brother DCP-J4120DW. I ordered a black high capacity cartridge from choicestationery.com and received a T-B-227BK-XL.

Curiously, their website confirms that this cartridge suits my printer but the box itself doesn't list my printer as compatible. However, it does say 'Replacement For LC227BKXL', which is what my printer needs.

I'm sure it'll be OK though. I'm just curious about the chip instructions. As I say, the cartridge has a chip fitted, so why are there instructions for fitting a chip?

Cheers.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 18th Mar 17, 10:21 PM
    • 25,872 Posts
    • 10,301 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:21 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:21 PM
    Instructions to fit a chip because the cartridges are shipped without them.

Manufacturers change the protection so its cheaper to sell them separately. If the chip stops working due to a manufacturers update then they just ship a new chip.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 19th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    Thanks all. I'm going to assume that the bag containing the instructions to fit a chip is just a common one used, even if a chip doesn't need to be fitted.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 20th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 20th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    Just had this reply from choicestationery.com:

"Please ignore the instructions, the chip is pre-fitted."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,774Posts Today

7,272Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin