Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wookie6
    • By wookie6 18th Mar 17, 10:59 AM
    • 209Posts
    • 16Thanks
    wookie6
    Long shot - Advice on best Bank Account in Germany?
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:59 AM
    Long shot - Advice on best Bank Account in Germany? 18th Mar 17 at 10:59 AM
    Hi,

One of my relatives currently has a German bank account with Deutsche Bank, however their charges to hold the account soon add up.

Can anyone recommend a bank account in Germany that:

1) Has minimal or no charges
    2) Has reasonable fees for international transfers

Thanks for any advice or pointers!
Page 1
    • colsten
    • By colsten 18th Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    • 8,601 Posts
    • 7,222 Thanks
    colsten
    • 18th Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    Stiftung Warentest, the German equivalent of Which?, says there are 8 free accounts, from the 73 they compared. It costs €2.50 to find out who they are

I have a Netbank account which has been free for over 10 years but ill have charges from April 1. They haven't yet told me how much the charges are, so I may or may not need to change.
    • wookie6
    • By wookie6 18th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    wookie6
    • 18th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    Thanks Colsten, thats super helpful!
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 18th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 18th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    Wow this takes me back into the mists of time: That was a time when the thing to have was a German bank account and the easiest to get was Postbank for U.K. Girobank customers. I had one and everyone I knew had one. Although Girobank in the U.K. is no more Postbank is still the best option. Also good in Scandinavian countries especially Finland. Used to be good in Netherlands but is now no more or at least eroded.
    https://www.deutscheskonto.org/en/postbank/
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 18th Mar 17, 4:06 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 2,317 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 18th Mar 17, 4:06 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 4:06 PM
    Takes me back too: from 1968 to '75 I was in BAOR. The Army changed to Pay banking from Cash Pay Parades in early '69 and had a deal with Commerz Bank. I had a German gf/partner who advised me to bank with Dresdner Bank for a better deal. Just looked at Dresdner Bank out of curiosity and shocked to learn that it was taken over by Commerzbank in 2008. Commerzbank is now the biggest bank in Germany. I hope they handle accounts better than they did then: several of my mates had banking errors which cost them money.

I also recall the Sparkasse bank being quite good at the time.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• wookie6
    • By wookie6 18th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    wookie6
    • 18th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    Wow this takes me back into the mists of time: That was a time when the thing to have was a German bank account and the easiest to get was Postbank for U.K. Girobank customers. I had one and everyone I knew had one. Although Girobank in the U.K. is no more Postbank is still the best option. Also good in Scandinavian countries especially Finland. Used to be good in Netherlands but is now no more or at least eroded.
    https://www.deutscheskonto.org/en/postbank/
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    Thanks, again really helpful to have a link
    • blueorchid
    • By blueorchid 19th Mar 17, 6:58 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    blueorchid
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:58 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 6:58 PM
    this should help )
    http://www.settle-in-berlin.com/german-bank-account/
    Last edited by blueorchid; 19-03-2017 at 7:14 PM.
    • wookie6
    • By wookie6 19th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    wookie6
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    Thanks blueorchid, really good article. I think DKB is certainly the way to go as I had also read good things about DKB so this helped to re-affirm this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,924Posts Today

8,632Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin