Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • venomizer
    • By venomizer 18th Mar 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    venomizer
    Homebuyer's Survey on newish flat
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:34 AM
    Homebuyer's Survey on newish flat 18th Mar 17 at 10:34 AM
    Hi,

I've had an offer accepted on a 10-year old top floor apartment. The building is 3 storeys high, with a total of (I think) 6 apartments (2 on each floor).

Is it recommended that I still take out a Homebuyer's survey before purchasing? I'm guessing most people here will say yes just to cover my back, but is it likely to actually show up anything of interest?

Obviously structural problems are covered by the freeholder and I pay towards them with the service charge.

I guess what I'm asking is, what kind of things could be wrong with a property like this that I would risk not getting visibility of without getting a survey?
Page 1
    • caronoel
    • By caronoel 18th Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    caronoel
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    Hi,

I've had an offer accepted on a 10-year old top floor apartment. The building is 3 storeys high, with a total of (I think) 6 apartments (2 on each floor).

Is it recommended that I still take out a Homebuyer's survey before purchasing? I'm guessing most people here will say yes just to cover my back, but is it likely to actually show up anything of interest?

Obviously structural problems are covered by the freeholder and I pay towards them with the service charge.

I guess what I'm asking is, what kind of things could be wrong with a property like this that I would risk not getting visibility of without getting a survey?
    Originally posted by venomizer
    You are putting your life savings into an asset. Why skimp on a survey that will cost under a grand?

As for the top floor flat, I'd get the surveyor to take a good luck at damp or leaks from the ceiling. Also, ask your solicitor to dig a but deeper on who is liable for roof repairs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

471Posts Today

4,345Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin