Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 18th Mar 17, 8:54 AM
    • 1,171Posts
    • 1,205Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Interview outfit?!
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:54 AM
    Interview outfit?! 18th Mar 17 at 8:54 AM
    I have an interview coming up and had intended to wear either smart trousers / skirt and a shirt or smart top. However family members are telling me I should wear a suit.

I don't want to feel restricted and hot and many company's don't seem to dress in suits these days.

If you are someone who interviews does it make a difference?
Page 2
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 19th Mar 17, 8:12 AM
    • 4,475 Posts
    • 6,042 Thanks
    74jax
    I would wear the office wear you would be comfortable in doing the job on a daily basis.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • divadee
    • By divadee 20th Mar 17, 9:23 AM
    • 10,394 Posts
    • 17,828 Thanks
    divadee
    I interview in my current job and have to say women don't wear suits. I think out of the 50+ interviewees I saw last year only 1 woman wore a suit. Smart separates that you would wear in the workplace on a day to day basis and being clean and tidy are all that is needed in my eyes. I say to my teenager when she goes for an interview always have clean nails as well as clean everything else, I always always spot dirty nails and it makes me think bad things about your hygiene.
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 20th Mar 17, 9:45 AM
    • 7,996 Posts
    • 35,697 Thanks
    tea lover
    This is a really interesting read! I always wear a suit to interviews (38yr old female), and whenever I see other candidates they are in suits too.
    • dcouponzzzz
    • By dcouponzzzz 20th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    dcouponzzzz
    If you google interview techniques and dress code, you'll find that dressing smart but in a way that doesn't draw attention to the way you've dressed is best. No bright colours or ostentatious jewelry etc. Men are generally advised to wear grey/black suits with white/light blue shirt and a block coloured tie (navy blue).

Better to turn up in a suit (for men) and take your jacket/tie off than turn up under-dressed! I wouldn't know how to transfer this advice to women sorry
    Started 07/15. Car finance £16,150 :/ , Mortgage: 130k - Savings: £600
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 20th Mar 17, 8:31 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I feel a suit might be a bit old fashioned and rigid but I do want to make an effort. I guess I could wear the suit into the room then take off the jacket to compromise?!
    • lesley74
    • By lesley74 20th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    lesley74
    I have worn a trouser suit (10 years ago) to an interview. It wasn't a dark colour - was dusky lilac. Not sure I'd wear it now though. Last few interviews I've been for I've worn a black shift dress and matching jacket. The dress has a detailed (but high) neckline, so no jewellery needed. I've worn it with tights and smart heels.

I think it can depend on how formal the employer/sector is though. I worked in insurance for a while, and now work at a college, and the college is less formal I would say.

Whatever you do, make sure you feel comfortable and confident.
    • KiKi
    • By KiKi 20th Mar 17, 10:16 PM
    • 4,913 Posts
    • 7,976 Thanks
    KiKi
    For the role you describe, I'd go smart trousers / skirt and shirt / very smart top (not just 'nice', it does need to be smart). And wear a good coat / jacket, and shoes - nothing scruffy or casual! Having said that, if you turned up in a suit I'd probably think you were trying to make a good impression, but I wouldn't need it to feel you were professional.

Best of luck!
    KiKi
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 20th Mar 17, 10:23 PM
    • 37,664 Posts
    • 33,978 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    This is a really interesting read! I always wear a suit to interviews (38yr old female), and whenever I see other candidates they are in suits too.
    Originally posted by tea lover
    I think it must depend on the sector then.

I think it can depend on how formal the employer/sector is though. I worked in insurance for a while, and now work at a college, and the college is less formal I would say.
    Originally posted by lesley74
    Oh yes! DH used to work in insurance: initially it was OK to wear smart trousers and a sports jacket rather than a suit, but woe betide you if you forgot to wear your tie! There was an office tie on the coatrack which he sometimes forgot to leave behind. When he went on any residential training courses at their training centre, there was a reminder that 'a certain standard of dress is expected in the insurance industry' and the chaps were expected to wear a lounge suit for the evening meal, and ladies 'a costume'. Not that it was relevant but we worked out it meant a suit or dress and jacket.

meanwhile I was working at the local poly, in casual trousers, skirts with no tights in the summer, and t-shirts ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

401Posts Today

3,946Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin