Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 18th Mar 17, 7:54 AM
    • 7,208Posts
    • 10,684Thanks
    surfsister
    need it help laptopt taken for repair confused
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:54 AM
    need it help laptopt taken for repair confused 18th Mar 17 at 7:54 AM
    Hi guys relation took his laptop to be repaired as it just died and they had it 4 weeks and eventually said that the hard drive had died and that for £60 they could clone the drive and put in a new one. they could get his stuff back then.

He brought it home to think about it. Now if the hard disk has died how can they clone it? I know he'll lose his stuff but think it better to buy a replacement. Any thoughts welcome.

thanks
Page 1
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 18th Mar 17, 8:42 AM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 1,394 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:42 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:42 AM
    You need to get the hard drive out of the laptop and then either connect directly to a desktop computer OR buy a cable to connect to any other laptop/desktop like this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-2-5-Inch-Adapter-Optimized-EC-SSHD-x/dp/B011M8YACM/
    That will tell you how good/bad the hard disk is.

£60 is a good price if this is a NEW drive and is the same size as the old one but yes, this does imply that the current disk is still usable.

NB1. this assumes that the laptop drive is SATA and not the old IDE type - taking the hard disk out will confirm which type it is
    NB2. if there is valuable data on the hard disk and there is a problem with the disk, you should seek professional help
    Last edited by grumpycrab; 18-03-2017 at 8:50 AM.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • were
    • By were 18th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    To be more obvious than grumpycrab.... "NEW DRIVE" ... Is that a drive new, never been used, out of the box? Is that a second hand drive newly introduced to the computer, and it is new to the computer because your computer and you have never seen it before? Newly acquired drive off ebay?

4 weeks to diagnose a drive? Fitting is much harder, you usually have to use a screwdriver, and turn the laptop over - another 4 weeks to fix? However this is a very cheap repair price.

Unless they are using ex-customers broken computers drive, I cant see any money in this job.

Cheapest disk on ebuyer is £41.04 + £6.98 delivery - 500GB. Cheapest SSD is a second hand 60GB £38.40 + p&p extra. Cheapest new ssd is 120Gb for £46.98

All manufacturers give a years warranty on their new goods, get that written on the receipt.
    Last edited by were; 18-03-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 18th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    • 18th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    Brand name and model number of laptop is a good place to begin.

Then a better description of what happens when the laptop is switched on.

You can likely replace the HDD with a SSD yourself if necessary.Could make a big difference to the prior performance. Doesn't take four weeks to diagnose a faulty HDD.
    • were
    • By were 18th Mar 17, 3:48 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    • 18th Mar 17, 3:48 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 3:48 PM
    NiftyDigits, laptop it a friend of a friend's. From another post, the op bough an Acer for £100 from JL, so i'm sure she will be a regular here
    Last edited by were; 18-03-2017 at 3:51 PM.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 18th Mar 17, 8:08 PM
    • 7,208 Posts
    • 10,684 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:08 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:08 PM
    Hi again thanks for help so far - yes I am a regular here!! I've had so much help here and always post if I find out anything useful.

Well started the laptop up -it is a DEll Latitude 4310 running on Windows 7 or 8 (from memory).
    It says Windows failed to start

Then Do you want to start normally

I left it alone and it came up Windows is loading files.

Then loading for ages and a bar going across the bottom of the screen. Then a blank screen.

It just came up with a blue screen with a cloud and a jet vapour trail and a green leaf on one side but nothing else yet...
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 18th Mar 17, 8:10 PM
    • 7,208 Posts
    • 10,684 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:10 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:10 PM
    extra info -it was actually £85 plus £20 labour. must have misheard!!
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 19th Mar 17, 1:47 AM
    • 267 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    emptybox
    • 19th Mar 17, 1:47 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 1:47 AM
    That screen is the Windows 7 login screen.
    So it is obviously trying to load Windows but failing. So the drive can't be completely dead.

Wouldn't think there'd be much point in cloning it though. As if there's a problem with Windows files being corrupted, then you'd just clone the problem?

However, if they are reputable repairers, then that's probably a fair price to replace the drive and reinstall Windows (provided they don't need to supply Windows 7). Still cheap for labour TBH, but they are making a profit on the cost of a new drive.

If it was me I'd be taking the drive out and connecting it to another computer, to try to get the important data off, before handing it to the repairers. If you don't think you could do the replacement of the drive and reinstallation yourself.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 19th Mar 17, 2:44 AM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    • 19th Mar 17, 2:44 AM
    • 19th Mar 17, 2:44 AM
    Hi again thanks for help so far - yes I am a regular here!! I've had so much help here and always post if I find out anything useful.

Well started the laptop up -it is a DEll Latitude 4310 running on Windows 7 or 8 (from memory).
    It says Windows failed to start

Then Do you want to start normally

I left it alone and it came up Windows is loading files.

Then loading for ages and a bar going across the bottom of the screen. Then a blank screen.

It just came up with a blue screen with a cloud and a jet vapour trail and a green leaf on one side but nothing else yet...
    Originally posted by surfsister
    It matters which as may will need to boot from installation media in order to run the repair.
    Get the Service Tag of the machine too.

But before you do anything else, remove all peripherals from the laptop and try again. That means anything connected into the laptop.
    • were
    • By were 19th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    I can see from your posts you are a regular here. Not exactly what I meant.

Acer historically had a reputation for Laptop build quality, especially bad soldering under CPU and video chips. Also their Laptops with the Nvida chip did not have a good enough heatsink and overheated as they aged, so hopefully you are not a regular for this reason.... Let you carry on with your friends problems
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 19th Mar 17, 6:06 PM
    • 7,208 Posts
    • 10,684 Thanks
    surfsister
    Will have another look when I visit him later today.

Concerning the Acer for £50 and a two year John Lewis guarantee I'll take my chances but thanks for the info!!
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 22nd Mar 17, 6:43 AM
    • 7,208 Posts
    • 10,684 Thanks
    surfsister
    thanks all for the help!! any recommendations for a new basic replacement laptop for him?

if acer isn't good and I've heard Dell blow up. Anything reasonably priced which you would suggest.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 22nd Mar 17, 8:35 AM
    • 29,722 Posts
    • 18,821 Thanks
    DCFC79
    thanks all for the help!! any recommendations for a new basic replacement laptop for him?

if acer isn't good and I've heard Dell blow up. Anything reasonably priced which you would suggest.
    What are these Dell laptops that blow up ?
    Je Suis Charlie
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 22nd Mar 17, 9:58 AM
    • 2,508 Posts
    • 1,655 Thanks
    AndyPix
    I've heard Dell blow up. .

For what its worth, I wouldnt bother with any of the consumer grade Dell stuff.
    Its all a bit flimsy and plasticky.

But the business machines are excellent.
    If you are after a budget machine then you could do a lot worse than a refurbed dell ex business machine
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 22nd Mar 17, 10:16 AM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 English 32-bit

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 English 64-bit

Download and save the appropriate image and then use Windows built in Image Burner to create an installation DVD.

Then; https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-7-recovery-environment-command-prompt/

Of course i am guessing Windows 7, since you didn't bother to reply....
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 24th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    • 7,208 Posts
    • 10,684 Thanks
    surfsister
    sorry nifty digits we had a family illness. emptybox had correctly diagnosed the blue screen with clouds n vapour trail as windows vista. Don't forget when I saw the laptop it had already expired!! the owner has little idea of IT!

if the laptop won't start how can he download it?
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 24th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    • 8,166 Posts
    • 6,160 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    sorry nifty digits we had a family illness. emptybox had correctly diagnosed the blue screen with clouds n vapour trail as windows vista. Don't forget when I saw the laptop it had already expired!! the owner has little idea of IT!

Could you download it for him ?
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 25th Mar 17, 6:59 AM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits

He stated Windows 7, not Vista.

You were supposed to have downloaded it...

Windows 7 Professional SP1 English 32-bit

Windows 7 Professional SP1 English 64-bit

Download and save the appropriate image and then use Windows built in Image Burner to create an installation DVD.

Then; https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-7-recovery-environment-command-prompt/
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 29th Mar 17, 10:02 PM
    • 7,208 Posts
    • 10,684 Thanks
    surfsister
    thanks!! you are so helpful!!
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 1st Apr 17, 8:30 AM
    • 7,208 Posts
    • 10,684 Thanks
    surfsister
    have found at John Lewis a returned Levono 80R900B7UK

2 yr gurantee with windows down and trial of office downloaded
    32gb hard drive

2gb installed ram intel dual-core celeron N3060 processor speed 1.6ghz

Any of you experts care to make any suggestions. It seems best to buy this than pay over £100 to restore the old Dell. Do Levon's fall apart or blow up??? Thanks anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

672Posts Today

6,290Users online

Martin's Twitter