Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 18th Mar 17, 6:11 AM
    • 2,729Posts
    • 36,540Thanks
    nmlc
    O/D Daily Saturday 18 March 2017
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:11 AM
    O/D Daily Saturday 18 March 2017 18th Mar 17 at 6:11 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 18 March 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, dry underfoot but cloudy and quite chilly, rain forecast for later.

DH up and gone into work stupid early, boys still in their pits, I'm enjoying peaceful cuppas whilst on here. I'll be going for a shower shortly.

Dinner last night was chicken and bacon kievs, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg for the menfolk, I had fishcakes and veg - fancied a change from omelette. I did remember to get the chicken out to defrost, so dinner tonight will be HM chinese type dinner, chicken in black bean sauce, HM egg and veg fried rice, mushroom chow mein, and pancake rolls, dumplings, prawn toast etc.

Yesterday I got done majority of what I'd hoped to achieve, although I didn't get any cooking/baking done as I just ran out of time. Shopping with family member wasn't horrific but I can see why other family member needs a break, I think family members health is only going to deteriorate - it seems it could be the onset of Alzheimers (sp?)/dementia type illness, but it's also progressing quite quickly, there appears to be tests etc going on at the moment so that may reveal what's going on, just to make it more difficult there are other underlying medical issues too. I continued with the washing, drying and got the ironing done too.

On to today -

this morning I'll be going to visit town and the building society, I also need to buy some potatoes which I didn't do yesterday. I'd like to get some baking/cooking done if possible.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 18-03-2017 at 6:32 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 18th Mar 17, 6:32 AM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 11,307 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:32 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:32 AM
    Morning, I spent most of yesterday sniffling and sneezing and doing laundry, still have lots to do and it is damp and overcast today so it will be festooned on racks indoors.
    Cold on its way out now, I haven't been ill just snotful.

Made a decent rustic french loaf yesterday and we had some with lemon, garlic and parsley chicken, roast potatoes and broccoli. I wasn't really hungry so gave son most of my meal.

I am hungry now though so off to make toast, I must say that the bread I've been making is really great for toast.

Hope people have a good day today
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • tru
    • By tru 18th Mar 17, 6:56 AM
    • 8,500 Posts
    • 41,967 Thanks
    tru
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:56 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:56 AM
    Morning

Happy Birthday camelot

Gold Cup day yesterday. I usually meet some family and their workmates at the pub, it's quite a merry event and the pub is near my bus stop in town so I can safely stagger 15 seconds down the road to go home But I was too achy and there was too much to do here so I gave it a miss. Master tru went (he doesn't usually go) and I thought he'd be home by teatime, he still wasn't in by 1am. I have no idea where he ended up, but I heard him having a conversation with Scampi at about 3am. He sounded like he thought he was being quiet, but actually wasn't I don't expect to see him all day, lol.

I thought the mice had gone but I've just heard rustling in the hall cupboard – where there are two 15kg sacks of dog food! I'm going to have to find something to store it in, that fits under the bottom shelf in the cupboard and is mouse-proof. I have no idea what though.

The carpet fitter isn't coming today, he hurt his back a couple of days ago and said that he can still work but is going slowly at the moment, so he'll take his time on his first couple of jobs and will be with me mid-afternoon. I said no way, you can't fit like that and there's no chance of you lifting the large sofa, it's just too heavy. He sounded relieved and seemed grateful but I have to admit I wasn't just thinking of him – I don't want anyone here at weekends (saturday afternoons have always been mine all mine!) and I'm just not ready for carpet yet. He's going to let us know when he's better and hopefully mr tru will arrange it for when he's home, it needs two people to manoeuvre the sofas over the carpet and around the room. I can't arrange it myself, they work together and so it'll be arranged before I know anything about it!

I've found the memory stick that I lost well over a year ago! I reconstructed the work spreadsheets months ago so I won't be needing those, but there's info on chicken costs and how much I've made from selling the eggs which will be useful. I have the yearly totals for the past two years but I kept a running total from the very first egg that was laid plus details of monthly laying and sales, vet visits, etc. Also there's info on all the pets we've had, photos, etc. Can't wait to open it all and see what I've been missing I'll go through it later, first I need to clean the hall floor – I think I'll have to go over it a few times, it's awful – then hoover and get some washing done.

When you're done, you're done.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 18th Mar 17, 6:58 AM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 19,130 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:58 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:58 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. What blooming weather yesterday. Rain lashing down all day and wind into the bargain too. This morning we just have wind but the rain is due back again later.

Now stand back in amazement but I had quite a decent night's sleep for me! And if Mr TA hadn't started snoring loudly enough to wake the dead around 5.30 I may have slept even longer!

Need to brave the weather this morning and get the bus into town. Money to deposit into our main bank to cover the caravan site fees for the coming year and also the leccy we used there last year (eeek!!) DD and I put money aside each month to cover it all but it's never enough!

M & S put a £5 birthday gift on my Sparks card so I will pop in there and treat ourselves to something nice from the Food section. Unless I decide to spend it on knickers instead!!

No other plans (the ironing can wait) so feet up with my book this afternoon. As a change from Italy my current one is set in Cornwall. Why do I torment myself so!

Have a good day folks and (HUGS) to the poorlies, sad and worried who want one. Take care xx
    Last edited by TravellingAbuela; 18-03-2017 at 7:01 AM.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 18th Mar 17, 7:07 AM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 19,130 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:07 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:07 AM
    Woops, sorry CAMELOT almost forgot! Happy Birthday! Have a lovely day with lots and lots of cake xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 18th Mar 17, 7:23 AM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 11,307 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:23 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:23 AM
    Happy Birthday Camelot!
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 18th Mar 17, 7:41 AM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 38,232 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:41 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:41 AM
    Morning All

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

I'll be helping DD to move this morning then she's taking me out for dinner, really looking forward to it. I may have a small refreshment too!

Not doing anything slightly OS today. Hope you are all well. Take care. XX
    • Gers
    • By Gers 18th Mar 17, 8:33 AM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 31,158 Thanks
    Gers
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:33 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:33 AM
    Morning everyone.

Happy Birthday Camelot. I know you'll be having a lovely day!

The rain has lessened to a drizzle after the horrors of yesterday, no sun forecast until Thursday next week.

My cauliflower pizza crusts yesterday where awful. So much effort for so very little reward, they are in the bin. I've got a friend coming to stay next weekend who has just been diagnosed with coeliac disease so I'll need to look for something else to make.

Today will be devoted to washing the bathroom floor, the kitchen floor, the back hall floor and the utility room floor. The last three are very very small so the task is simple. Just hate doing the downstairs ones as stuff comes in from the garden every day. Needs must, I'll put on some loud music (Radio 6 perhaps) and groove to it!

I'll make the chicken Provençal I didn't make yesterday. The sausages were delicious, even past their UB date, Neil Rankin brand. They were the best ones I've ever had, very juicy, little fat and no nasty bits. If I can remember where I bought them from I'll buy them again. Don't think it was our local Co-op so must have been Wait*ose.

So, a bit of a plan then. The first part of which is getting up, here goes.

Happy Saturday to all.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 18th Mar 17, 8:38 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,569 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:38 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 8:38 AM
    Morning everyone,

Up early today as I'm working at 10am and I also wanted to brown the Next sale which started at 8am.

Thank you to all of those who gave very helpful tips and advice on yesterdays thread. You really a great bunch on here.

On the flat news, a move in date of WC 10th July has been set which suits perfectly. Gives me enough time to save, save, save.

Off to work for me, have a nice Saturday everyone.

Happy birthday Camelot! Many happy returns.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 18th Mar 17, 8:52 AM
    • 14,781 Posts
    • 119,095 Thanks
    JackieO
    Happy Birthday camelot enjoy your day and LARGE refreshment
    Good morning everyone its bright and dry and around 14c at the moment and looks like a nice day ahead.I have a bit of baking to do to fill up the tins and as I am off to my sis-in-laws at faversham later I want to take some cake and scones with me.She is taking me out to dinner tonight as a belated birthday present as she was away in Mexico for three months at my DN so we have lots of catch-up chat to do later.I shall stay the night as then we both can have a glass of vino ,but will be back to DD by mid afternoon tomorrow for dinner there tomorrow night as usual.Not a lot of cooking for me this week-end .Just checked my calendar for next week and Monday morning I will take my car in for a deep clean up on the business park near me.There is a great place there called Sgt Bills and on a Monday they will do a really good clean inside and out at a reduced rate for pensioners of £8.00 instead of £10.00 and its well worth it.I have a 7 seater zafira that's taller than I am and three young lads swarm all over it making it look nice and sparkly for me after all the grot of the winter from the roads . Then its off to DDs as my gardener is coming to fix her a new gatepost up as her front gate has been reclining in her front garden for the past few months .Tuesday morning is U3A coffee morning and in the evening its quiz night down the pub.Wednesday I have to take DGS Henry to the orthodontist for his last appointment and check up .That will cheer him up and his teeth look really nice now so no more brace for him.Thursday at the moment I have a free day for a change ,but Friday,I have history club in the afternoon then I am off out to dinner at a Murder,Mystery evening in Chatham. Its connected to the local Rotary club and my friend asked if I'd like to go I will go to the opening of an envelope and never having been to one before I am quite looking forward to it.So a busy week ahead and in between after school, I have three of my DGS to look after and feed snack to and make sure their homework is done.,and of course DDs two dogs to walk and make sure they are OK so just another normal busy week Next Saturday is my day off and I shall relax and do absolutely nothing But I really don't mind being busy and quite enjoy myself, but also when I do get a day off I switch off the phones and shut the door and just please myself what I do,normally reading or knitting and listening to the wireless, or baking What do you all do when you get the time to have perhaps a day or afternoon to yourselves ?? answers please on a postcard no seriously we all have different ways to relax Whats you favourite go-to relaxation pastime

Hope yo all have a good day and a great weekend

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 18th Mar 17, 10:50 AM
    • 3,597 Posts
    • 27,535 Thanks
    Floss
    Jackie my relaxation is my allotment, reading, and pottering around in the kitchen.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 18th Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 7,997 Thanks
    karcher

My cauliflower pizza crusts yesterday where awful. So much effort for so very little reward, they are in the bin.

Originally posted by Gers
    I read elsewhere on this site about someone who attempted the cauliflower pizza bases and dis exactly the same! They said they smelt awful too. I had been pondering giving them a try but definitely WON'T now

Camelot happy birthday have a lovely day and some cake

WM just finished, all my windows wide open to air the place. i am an absolute fresh air fanatic and I open my windows daily, year round no matter what the weather...bracing at times, but worth it

No plans for today. I cleaned everywhere last night. Will be going for a run at some point and have in mind burgers in buns with salad for dinner, but that may, or more than likely, will change by tonight..as is usual with me.

Off to hang me washing out then more coffee required.

Have a good day all and take care
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 18th Mar 17, 11:38 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 2,317 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all
    Camelot have a very Happy Birthday
    Today's weather is much like yesterdays, grey and damp.
    Having a quick potter on here while the kitchen floor dries. The DW is on and the halogen oven has been cleaned.
    We will be watching a film this afternoon so just chilling for the rest of the day.
    Jackie my relaxation is reading, mostly horror novels, but anything really, crafting (cards and scrapbooking) and photography. I also enjoy gaming and caravanning with DH. We have so many hobbies between us that's why my house is full of stuff !
    Tea tonight will be jacket potato with chicken korma.
    Righty ho my floor is dry, was going to say it's lunch time but I'm an hour ahead of myself !
    Never mind, enjoy the rest of your Saturday.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 18th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 31,158 Thanks
    Gers
    Chicken Provencal is in the oven and the lovely smell is eradicating the last of the awful cauliflower smell which I complained about yesterday. The whiff of garlic is in the air. Making this made me realise that I have lost / thrown out my garlic press so I've ordered a new one. Think that turned to 'easy garlic' but it doesn't keep it's pungency long enough so I've reverted to good old fashioned bulbs.

I've emptied, cleaned out and refreshed my spice / herb drawer. Chucked out all the old stuff, half empty but OOD and not going to be used. The drawer was just manky so that's now shiny and clean. This cleaning malarkey just becomes a chain of things to do!

The woodburner is beginning to blaze nicely so once it's going properly I'll probably be propped up in the living room reading.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 18th Mar 17, 12:37 PM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 13,794 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning, ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one and 'happy birthday' to the birthday girls.

Very dull grey morning, no rain as yet, but guess its not far away, OH has been in the shed looking for something, he knows is in there. I nipped over to see our neighbour, he is looking so much better, off oxygen for an hour at a time.

I have a commision for a bag slightly smaller than the one I made, so had to do a search for fabric last night, I will cut it out later. I also have a scissor case to sew up.

Corned beef stovies for supper tonight.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 18th Mar 17, 1:39 PM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 24,891 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I have been MIA this week, Monday and Tuesday brought hospital appointments at the crack of dawn at hospital 30 miles away (well it seemed like the crack of dawn to me having to leave home at 0700), having left hospital on Tuesday received a call from a very fed up DB who is at hospital in big city 50+ miles away, having undergone 8 1/2 hours of surgery a few days before so we diverted south and visited with him, out of the house for 11 1/2 hours, so tired!

Wednesday went down with a stinking cold, which seems to have a sting in the tail with running nose and sneezing starting again today

Belated and current birthday wishes to all celebrating this week, I hope that you have all had a lovely time.

OH informs me that we have to shop this afternoon as he will be watching the rugby at 17:00, so a GF SM pizza with salad for tea I think, should be the least disruption for him (I am not safe getting things out of hot oven, grip poor and not good when tea ends up on the kitchen floor, dog lives in hope though
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 18th Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 9,420 Posts
    • 101,839 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Whats you favourite go-to relaxation pastime
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Whatever Mr LW decides we are going to do.
    Sadly I have lost the ability to decide on something "relaxing" for myself - if I have unallocated time, I hit the Frog list (those of you who read the Flylady thread will know a Frog is a task that wants doing, is likely to only take 10 minutes, but you've been putting off for ages) and do a task or three off it. I do still knit and do cross stitch, but tend to use these as a means of not going totally off my head when Mr LW has something particularly puerile on the tv, not as a means of "relaxation" as such. What I don't get is how come the Frog list seems to get longer, not shorter.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 18th Mar 17, 4:07 PM
    • 3,597 Posts
    • 27,535 Thanks
    Floss
    LW I think it's an evolution thing...frogs keep making frogspawn so the list of frogs keeps growing!
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 18th Mar 17, 5:42 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Birthday wishes to those of you having a birthday and may come your way!

Weather here today is dull, decidedly cool, drizzle on and off, so ... par for the course. Roll on summer.

nmlc – (((hugs))) to you. Dementia is a horrible disease and, as a former carer for my late DF, know only too well how distressing and exhausting it can be. He too had other underlying medical issues and, as his only relative, everything fell to me and there were many times when I seemed to spend more time with him than I did with DH.

Tru – Sounds as if you need a container with a lid. How about a nappy bucket, lidded storage boxes (I got some inexpensive but sturdy ones from Homebase for my wool stash) or maybe lidded food containers that will stack on top of each other? You might find some on one of the Freebie websites. If yours are super-mice though, you might need something metal rather than plastic!

Jackie – You have such a busy social life; no wonder you hibernate on your “downtime” days!

My relaxation is reading (anything and everything), knitting, cross-stitch, listening to the radio (music, phone-ins and serials), crosswords, family research, dead-heading flowers and people-watching.

DH is currently watching rugby on TV and I’m catching up on forum posts (another relaxation).

Gers – Aww, shame about your cauli pizza crusts. I’m not a fan of cauliflower rice either and firmly believe cauli shouldn’t be tampered with – just eat it “as is”.

LW – Nope, soz - the Frog list to me means work, not relaxation!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

May GC: £160 - £149.63 = £10.37, NSDs 20/28 June GC: £200 - £198.63 = £1.37, NSDs 16/35
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 18th Mar 17, 7:47 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 19,130 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    NMLC (HUGS) from me too. I was in much the same boat as YorksLass but in my case it was my mum who was the dementia sufferer. She too had lots of other illnesses including Parkinsons. Life was hell for a long time and looking back I don't know how I coped. I had a stressful job and kids still at home at the time too. I couldn't have managed without the unfailing support of my DH. He had the patience of a saint throughout.

JACKIE my idea of relaxation has changed over time, thanks to advancing years and illness. When we retired and got the caravan it was our idea of heaven to trek for miles in the beautiful Nidderdale countryside (when we weren't needed for childminding duties!) but Mr TA's diagnosis and illness put paid to that. We still like to escape to the caravan when we can (between medical appts, treatment and childminding) but nowadays long walks are out and we are content to just relax and enjoy the peace and quiet, watching the woodland wildlife and birdwatching. In season we spend hours foraging. And of course reading. I can spend hours with my feet up and nose in a good book, gentle music in the background.

Years back, when the kids were little, any spare time was spent making clothes, knitting, crocheting, baking etc. But this was out of necessity not for relaxation!

I hadn't heard of the cauli pizza bases GERS but shan't be trying it after your description! Nor do I like cauliflower rice! I tried it once and thought I was going to be ill! But a big helping of cauliflower cheese, topped with crispy fried bacon bits, now that is my idea of heaven on a plate!

Have a nice evening folks xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,921Posts Today

5,315Users online

Martin's Twitter