Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 17th Mar 17, 11:54 PM
    • 92Posts
    • 60Thanks
    Bath cube
    Saddest film ending
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:54 PM
    Saddest film ending 17th Mar 17 at 11:54 PM
    Titanic. After all this time no matter how many times I see it on TV it gets me every time. Rose lived to die very old in her bed like jack predicted but she died on the submarine in that same spot he died in then they were reunited. I think even a hard hearted person would find this emotional.
Page 4
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 20th Mar 17, 12:55 PM
    • 28,096 Posts
    • 102,529 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Yes but giving away the ending to a film that's still in the cinemas is not really on (as was done with Logan). Sure, if the film is 20 years old then it's less important, however it should be possible to say that you found an ending shocking without actually saying "well they all died".
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Oh sorry, I didn't realise you were talking about a film still in the cinemas!

Yes, I can see that that might be a spoiler.

Perhaps people could preface their posts about a current or very recent film with
    SPOILER ALERT about such-and-such film,
    so as to warn people who might want to see the film?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 20th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 22,775 Posts
    • 87,609 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I understand what you're saying, but I feel I should say that the thread title is "Saddest film ending" which does imply that the ending will be mentioned.

Otherwise it would be just be a thread of film titles, which would be a bit boring.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I was in a conversation about films the other day and not once did any of the other people give away any of the endings or plot twists for new films (without knowing I hadn't seen them), but still talked about them for a good ten minutes. When the Star Trek sequel came out, not one of my mates spoiled the identity of the protagonist as they didn't want to know either, there was no mention of it online unless you actively searched for it, so when you saw who it was, there was still the pleasure of surprise/having your theories confirmed.

OH got in trouble for spoiling films a few times, because he tends to watch films when I'm at work - when I've said later (not knowing he's already seen them) that I'd like to watch them, he invariably said things like 'That's the one where x dies at the end, isn't it?' or 'I thought the bit where [gives away entire plot] was very well done'.

I now don't talk to him about films at all - if one's mentioned on TV, as soon as he's about to open his mouth, I'll say 'You've seen it, haven't you?' and he'll say 'Yes', I'll quickly reply 'I haven't' and he'll shut up.

One day I'll be evil and spoil something he doesn't know the end to. But I think it's pretty poor form to do it about something barely out on general release yet - I actually saw a facebook image post completely unrelated to one film with the ending scribbled onto the picture with paint and, what was worse, the person had tagged DD2 in it, who is a massive fan of the character in the film and would have been upset and furious that somebody deliberately did that to her.

It's like phoning somebody up and telling them you'll see them at their surprise birthday party on Saturday.

Some boards have coding for spoiler alerts - other than changing the text colour to white, so it can only be seen by highlighting the text (still useless for somebody when text to speak software), does MSE have that code available?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 20th Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    • 28,096 Posts
    • 102,529 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Interestingly, after the above exchange of posts, I googled the wiki entry for "Logan", as I'm unlikely to go and see the film (I don't like cinemas).
    It gives the whole plot of the film, including the ending!

However, you have to be proactive and google it, then read through it, so it's hardly accidental!

Perhaps we should introduce this as a warning not to read something if it's a spoiler?

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Mandelbrot
    • By Mandelbrot 20th Mar 17, 5:28 PM
    • 8,641 Posts
    • 18,698 Thanks
    Mandelbrot
    Interestingly, after the above exchange of posts, I googled the wiki entry for "Logan", as I'm unlikely to go and see the film (I don't like cinemas).

However, you have to be proactive and google it, then read through it, so it's hardly accidental!
    You say that, but in fact I got the basis of the end of the film from one of those 'links' around the edge of a news webpage I accessed a while back. Didn't have to click on anything ... it was there for my peripheral vision to pick up on.

Test ...
    Spoiler (highlight below to view):
    this is the ending
    Last edited by Mandelbrot; 20-03-2017 at 5:58 PM.
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 20th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 1,709 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    I do admit to getting a bit choked up at the end of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

And for utterly harrowing endings, try Dancer in the Dark. Great film with a stunning performance from Bjork, but you'll need a hankie.

CAn't say I feel the same way about Harry Potter, Roz, but totally with you on Dancer in the Dark.

Great film (one of my favourites), great performance by Bjork and a real tearjerker of an ending.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 20th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 13,326 Posts
    • 25,369 Thanks
    onlyroz

Perhaps we should introduce this as a warning not to read something if it's a spoiler?

Thing is, the wiki entry for a film *isn't* a review and you would expect it to include the full plot details. If you don't want to know the ending but just want, e.g. info on the cast and director, then you can easily skip the "Plot" section.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 20th Mar 17, 8:06 PM
    • 28,096 Posts
    • 102,529 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Thing is, the wiki entry for a film *isn't* a review and you would expect it to include the full plot details. If you don't want to know the ending but just want, e.g. info on the cast and director, then you can easily skip the "Plot" section.
    True.
    You have to be really determined to know the plot, to read it on wiki!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • trixie73
    • By trixie73 20th Mar 17, 9:28 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    trixie73
    There maybe one I have forgot but I would say the champ starring Jon voight.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    Defo this film. I cried my eyes out when I first watched this as a kid.
    Ricky schroder was amazing in this film. Poor little TJ
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 20th Mar 17, 9:31 PM
    • 1,999 Posts
    • 3,053 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Who will love my children

:-(
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 20th Mar 17, 9:34 PM
    • 10,040 Posts
    • 24,703 Thanks
    suki1964
    Defo this film. I cried my eyes out when I first watched this as a kid.
    Ricky schroder was amazing in this film. Poor little TJ
    Originally posted by trixie73
    OMG I sobbed uncontrollably at that one

Seriously blubbered all night

Never watched it again
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 20th Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    • 22,775 Posts
    • 87,609 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Who will love my children

:-(
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    I think the premise of the entire movie kind of gave that offering's ending away.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • trixie73
    • By trixie73 20th Mar 17, 10:12 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    trixie73
    OMG I sobbed uncontrollably at that one

Seriously blubbered all night

Never watched it again
    Originally posted by suki1964
    I think I've seen it about 30 times,lol, and cried every time
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 21st Mar 17, 8:02 AM
    • 4,546 Posts
    • 15,294 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Test ...
    this is the ending
    Originally posted by Mandelbrot
    As Mandelbrot says you can use the code for spoilers ...

Which looks like this

this is the bit you want to hide

by doing [ spoiler ]this is the bit you want to hide[ /spoiler] obviously without the spaces.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 21st Mar 17, 8:12 AM
    • 28,096 Posts
    • 102,529 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Testing.......
    I want to hide this.

Oh wow! It works!

I've never come across that before!

Thanks, Mandelbrot and Indesisiv!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 21st Mar 17, 8:30 AM
    • 4,546 Posts
    • 15,294 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Testing.......
    I want to hide this.

Oh wow! It works!

I've never come across that before!

Thanks, Mandelbrot and Indesisiv!
    It works in most forums.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 21st Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 28,096 Posts
    • 102,529 Thanks
    Pyxis
    It works in most forums.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    And the advantage of it over using white-out is that you can quote it and it still doesn't show!

Does anyone think I should go back and invisibilise my ending of Silent Running, or is it so old that everyone knows the ending anyway?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Mandelbrot
    • By Mandelbrot 21st Mar 17, 9:20 AM
    • 8,641 Posts
    • 18,698 Thanks
    Mandelbrot
    Does anyone think I should go back and invisibilise my ending of Silent Running, or is it so old that everyone knows the ending anyway?
    Wasn't that the film about Electric Cars?
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 21st Mar 17, 9:28 AM
    • 28,096 Posts
    • 102,529 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Wasn't that the film about Electric Cars?
    Originally posted by Mandelbrot
    Something like that, yes. The poor little electric car got electrocuted.

It's partner was crushed.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 21st Mar 17, 10:47 AM
    • 697 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    vacheron
    It's a close call between Leviathan (2014) and Requiem for a Dream (2000), but I think Leviathan takes it as the requiem characters played a bigger part in their ultimate downfall.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 21st Mar 17, 11:13 AM
    • 2,600 Posts
    • 4,922 Thanks
    Spidernick
    It's difficult to think of films with sad endings that stand out off the top of my head, but Last of the Mohicans would be one. My wife and I also find the 'stay alive and I will find you' line in the movie incredibly romantic.

My kids found the ending of Marley and Me very sad (due to what happens to Marley) and haven't watched it since.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,149Posts Today

9,858Users online

Martin's Twitter