Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 17th Mar 17, 11:54 PM
    • 60Posts
    • 52Thanks
    Bath cube
    Saddest film ending
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:54 PM
    Saddest film ending 17th Mar 17 at 11:54 PM
    Titanic. After all this time no matter how many times I see it on TV it gets me every time. Rose lived to die very old in her bed like jack predicted but she died on the submarine in that same spot he died in then they were reunited. I think even a hard hearted person would find this emotional.
Page 3
    • koexelek
    • By koexelek 19th Mar 17, 8:01 AM
    • 7,590 Posts
    • 16,088 Thanks
    koexelek

I found "The Elephant Man" unbearably sad, worse than the end is the part where he shows Hannah Gordon the picture of his mother. Just thinking about it makes me all teary!
    Originally posted by barbiedoll
    Me too. One of my all time favourite films, but so sad
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th Mar 17, 8:05 AM
    • 8,127 Posts
    • 12,279 Thanks
    worried jim
    The mist. Kills family and friends, as there is no hope, about to turn the gun on himself when the US army appears for rescue. Cheers Stephen King!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist_(film)
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Mar 17, 10:59 AM
    • 58,729 Posts
    • 338,309 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....she died on the submarine in that same spot he died in then they were reunited.....
    Originally posted by Bath cube
    I never realised that bit.

I don't watch films because I "miss" bits and struggle to understand/follow them.... I'd seen Titanic, but never realised she died at the same spot he did!

Films are wasted on me.

One ending that "sticks" with me is the film where at a certain age everybody's turned into Soylent Green - and the man chooses to die watching a film of a field of corn while a certain music track is played. When I hear that music (no idea what it is) I always find it sad and think of that moment as he's sitting there watching/hearing his last video/music, knowing he's going to die now.
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 19th Mar 17, 11:08 AM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 8,139 Thanks
    minimad1970
    The mist. Kills family and friends, as there is no hope, about to turn the gun on himself when the US army appears for rescue. Cheers Stephen King!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist_(film)
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Stephen King's novella had a different ending.

It is the most shocking ending ever and there should be a law passed stating that anybody who reveals the last five minutes of this film should be hung from their neck until dead. (not my words)
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/325279/the-mists-brutal-controversial-ending
    Last edited by minimad1970; 19-03-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    • Mandelbrot
    • By Mandelbrot 19th Mar 17, 11:44 AM
    • 8,645 Posts
    • 18,686 Thanks
    Mandelbrot
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/325279/the-mists-brutal-controversial-ending[/url]
    by minimad1970;72274568[url
    That article writer must be still shook up by the movie ...
    In King's original novella, there are five survivors who make it out of the mist in David Drayton's car: David himself, his son Billy, Amanda, and Mrs. Reppler.
    Or maybe he just was never any good at counting ...
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 19th Mar 17, 8:08 PM
    • 12,928 Posts
    • 24,412 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Could people please not give away the actual endings of the films that they are discussing?
    • Ames
    • By Ames 19th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 16,093 Posts
    • 27,983 Thanks
    Ames
    Could people please not give away the actual endings of the films that they are discussing?
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Especially new films!

I'm not looking forward to Logan anything like as much now I know the end.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 19th Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    • 12,928 Posts
    • 24,412 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Especially new films!

I'm not looking forward to Logan anything like as much now I know the end.
    Originally posted by Ames
    Me too
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 20th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,343 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Surprised that no-one has mentioned Bambi yet.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 1226.3
    This week 77.42
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 20th Mar 17, 8:26 AM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Me Before You

However that could just have been me liking it to watch Emilia Clarke lol
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 20th Mar 17, 8:45 AM
    • 2,919 Posts
    • 6,418 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Manon des sources - as the title suggests, it's in French.

Bez konca (No end) - this one is in Polish.

"Million Dollar Baby" great film, sad ending.
    Originally posted by arthurdick
    I agree. The change of direction in this film about mid-way through completely caught me off guard.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Alikay
    • By Alikay 20th Mar 17, 9:17 AM
    • 4,574 Posts
    • 12,366 Thanks
    Alikay
    The King and I.
    I expected Anna and the King of Siam to confess love for each other and get married at the end, but they don't. He dies. Very sad, and not a fitting end to a blockbuster musical IMO.
    • D Sharpe
    • By D Sharpe 20th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    D Sharpe
    Haatchi - a dog's tale. It is so sad and it was a true story but in Japan not America!
    • Ruthy1604
    • By Ruthy1604 20th Mar 17, 9:34 AM
    • 504 Posts
    • 4,860 Thanks
    Ruthy1604
    Bridge to Terabithia - even my DH cried.
    10lb to lose & keep off in 2017 3.5lb/10lb
    Save 12K in 2017 Number 74 £3500/£30000
    • Irenee2
    • By Irenee2 20th Mar 17, 10:50 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Irenee2
    All Quiet on the Western Front (original 1930 production)

An old film but I remember especially just how it made me realise that all war is futile, no matter what side the troops are on

As a 1943 baby I grew up with a restricted knowledge of the two world wars - our school history lessons finished at the end of Victoria's reign
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 20th Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    • 12,928 Posts
    • 24,412 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Bridge to Terabithia - even my DH cried.
    Originally posted by Ruthy1604
    Oh dear yes, that film should come with a warning, especially as it's meant to be a kids' film.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 20th Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    • 12,928 Posts
    • 24,412 Thanks
    onlyroz
    I do admit to getting a bit choked up at the end of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

And for utterly harrowing endings, try Dancer in the Dark. Great film with a stunning performance from Bjork, but you'll need a hankie.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 20th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 26,012 Posts
    • 93,767 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    I understand what you're saying, but I feel I should say that the thread title is "Saddest film ending" which does imply that the ending will be mentioned.

Otherwise it would be just be a thread of film titles, which would be a bit boring.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 20th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    • 26,012 Posts
    • 93,767 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I never realised that bit.

I don't watch films because I "miss" bits and struggle to understand/follow them.... I'd seen Titanic, but never realised she died at the same spot he did!

Films are wasted on me.

One ending that "sticks" with me is the film where at a certain age everybody's turned into Soylent Green - and the man chooses to die watching a film of a field of corn while a certain music track is played. When I hear that music (no idea what it is) I always find it sad and think of that moment as he's sitting there watching/hearing his last video/music, knowing he's going to die now.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

I checked out that scene, Pastures, and found the music....

It starts with the first part of Beethoven's Symphony No.6 , titled "Pastoral Symphony" (played also at the end with the credits) , followed by 2 pieces from Grieg's Music for "Peer Gynt"; the first piece is "Morning Mood" , followed by "Ase's Death" .

]
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 20th Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    • 12,928 Posts
    • 24,412 Thanks
    onlyroz
    I understand what you're saying, but I feel I should say that the thread title is "Saddest film ending" which does imply that the ending will be mentioned.

Otherwise it would be just be a thread of film titles, which would be a bit boring.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Yes but giving away the ending to a film that's still in the cinemas is not really on (as was done with Logan). Sure, if the film is 20 years old then it's less important, however it should be possible to say that you found an ending shocking without actually saying "well they all died".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

867Posts Today

7,257Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin