Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 17th Mar 17, 11:54 PM
    • 130Posts
    • 70Thanks
    Bath cube
    Saddest film ending
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:54 PM
    Saddest film ending 17th Mar 17 at 11:54 PM
    Titanic. After all this time no matter how many times I see it on TV it gets me every time. Rose lived to die very old in her bed like jack predicted but she died on the submarine in that same spot he died in then they were reunited. I think even a hard hearted person would find this emotional.
Page 2
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 18th Mar 17, 1:36 PM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 14,707 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Inn of the 6th Happiness, when they are walking away singing "This old man". Finally saw the film in full a couple of years ago, first time I saw it, I was about 6 and vividly remember standing behind the couch in floods of tears.
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 18th Mar 17, 1:41 PM
    • 12,431 Posts
    • 47,567 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Do you know, I've never seen Titanic.

I didn't think I could stand seeing so many sad ends, especially as the incident was true, even if the main love story wasn't.

Same reason for never having seen Watership Down.

One film that unexpectedly caused me to weep buckets was Silent Running.

The memory of that little robot, all alone after the human died, trying to tend to the last remaining Earth plants in the spaceship for all eternity was just too much for my sensibilities.
    Originally posted by Pyxis

I haven't watched these either. Watership Down probably would make me cry but Titanic....na, just can't stand Di Caprio

I can't think off hand of any film that upset me enough to draw tears

The saddest one I've seen in the last couple of years was American Sniper.
    • Mandelbrot
    • By Mandelbrot 18th Mar 17, 1:43 PM
    • 8,640 Posts
    • 18,699 Thanks
    Mandelbrot
    Yes, we are. As a parent I thought it was horrific. But he thought at the time that he was doing the right thing. I hope in similar circumstances I'd fight to the end.

Apparently Stephen King preferred the film's ending to his own and wished that he'd thought of it himself.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Yes, I can see why he would like it. It is more of a 'grabber'.
    And still gets across the theme of carrying on 'whatever' -as you never know what might happen/turn up. The theme of hope.

The novella was an ending of 'pushing on', with some vague hope.
    But the film ending turned it upside down, to show how 'giving up' can be disastrous.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 18th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 13,037 Posts
    • 11,104 Thanks
    paddyrg
    Recent film to try - "A Monster Calls" - moving.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 18th Mar 17, 2:28 PM
    • 35,337 Posts
    • 142,212 Thanks
    tommix
    Taxi Driver..

I found it very moving when De Niro's 'Travis' was regarded as a Hero after killing all the pimps and johns and rescuing young Jodie Foster.

This film has had a big influence on my life...Not only did I do 'The Knowledge' and become a Taxi Driver but I also kill pimps and johns whenever the opportunity arises
    • professor~yaffle
    • By professor~yaffle 18th Mar 17, 3:06 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    professor~yaffle
    Going back a few years, Philadephia. I thought Tom Hanks was really good in that. He's a pretty versatile actor, though I've not seen a film of his for a long time now.

I've never seen the Titanic either. Can't really see the point given that we all know how it ends!
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 18th Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    • 28,962 Posts
    • 105,996 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Taxi Driver..

I found it very moving when De Niro's 'Travis' was regarded as a Hero after killing all the pimps and johns and rescuing young Jodie Foster.

This film has had a big influence on my life...Not only did I do 'The Knowledge' and become a Taxi Driver but I also kill pimps and johns whenever the opportunity arises
    Originally posted by tommix
    The Scarlet Pimperkill.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Mandelbrot
    • By Mandelbrot 18th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 8,640 Posts
    • 18,699 Thanks
    Mandelbrot
    Taxi Driver..

Did you get the haircut?
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 18th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 2,260 Thanks
    squiggles
    Recent film to try - "A Monster Calls" - moving.
    Originally posted by paddyrg
    This wasn't the usual type of film I watch but as I misinterpreted the story I did. I thought before watching the film it was going to be all about the bully hence the title of it.

As a sensitive wimp that I am, I think I was tearful for the whole of the second half of the film.
    • squiggles
    • By squiggles 18th Mar 17, 5:19 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 2,260 Thanks
    squiggles
    "Million Dollar Baby" great film, sad ending.
    Originally posted by arthurdick
    This film actually increased my awareness of having the right to die and dignity in death.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 18th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 13,454 Posts
    • 25,571 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Me and my cousin first saw this film together when were were around 12-13 and we both cried at the end! I watched it again recently and it still makes me blub.

I found "The Elephant Man" unbearably sad, worse than the end is the part where he shows Hannah Gordon the picture of his mother. Just thinking about it makes me all teary!

I can't watch Titanic without shouting at Rose during Jack's final moments. If the selfish old bat had moved over, he'd still be here!
    Originally posted by barbiedoll
    Mythbusters did some investigating and decided that a piano lid would absolutely have held the weight of two people, and so Jack had no need to die.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 18th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    • 15,063 Posts
    • 37,725 Thanks
    elsien
    Les Miserables (Hugh Jackman version). Although I suspect it was more because I was watching it shortly after the death of a grandparent.

Another one who's not seen Titanic on the grounds that I already knew what was going to happen.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 18th Mar 17, 5:45 PM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 8,704 Thanks
    minimad1970
    I watched Watership Down when I was 8 and I've never forgotten the horrific bits and have never watched it since. The Green Mile is a really emotional film
    • tommix
    • By tommix 18th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 35,337 Posts
    • 142,212 Thanks
    tommix
    Did you get the haircut?
    Originally posted by Mandelbrot
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 18th Mar 17, 10:48 PM
    • 26,327 Posts
    • 14,085 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    There maybe one I have forgot but I would say the champ starring Jon voight.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 18th Mar 17, 10:51 PM
    • 26,327 Posts
    • 14,085 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I watched Watership Down when I was 8 and I've never forgotten the horrific bits and have never watched it since. The Green Mile is a really emotional film
    Originally posted by minimad1970
    I love the film but it is just that song that has always got me. I always fast forward it when I watch it now.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 18th Mar 17, 10:53 PM
    • 26,327 Posts
    • 14,085 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Carlitos way has a very sad ending. I love this film, I am not a big fan of gangster films but I love this one.
    • Mandelbrot
    • By Mandelbrot 18th Mar 17, 11:04 PM
    • 8,640 Posts
    • 18,699 Thanks
    Mandelbrot
    White Heat

Such a tragic accident. You have to be careful in such places.

https://youtu.be/tXd5wziMxfs?t=254
    Last edited by Mandelbrot; 18-03-2017 at 11:19 PM.
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 19th Mar 17, 2:24 AM
    • 786 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc00x6pnEHw
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 19th Mar 17, 2:35 AM
    • 14,760 Posts
    • 126,085 Thanks
    zagubov
    'This Boys Life'..(I cried tears of joy at the end.)

'Carve her name with pride'..(Brave lady dies in the end)

'King Kong'..(Tragic Gorilla falls off a Skyscraper)

This site has loads of good summaries of movies
    http://www.postmodernbarney.com/2009/04/uncomfortable-plot-summaries/
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,009Posts Today

6,309Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin