Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rodis33
    • By Rodis33 17th Mar 17, 11:12 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Rodis33
    Bank statements
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:12 PM
    Bank statements 17th Mar 17 at 11:12 PM
    Hi,

This is probably really obvious but what about to complete a mortgage application but with a bank that I don't already bank with. They have asked for my bank statements from my current account. I am just wondering what do they use the statements for? Is it just to see what my normal monthly outgoings are or something less obvious than that?

I know it probably seems like a silly question and I have nothing to hide but more curious than anything.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • glosoli
    • By glosoli 17th Mar 17, 11:32 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    glosoli
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:32 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:32 PM
    Mostly to see your account conduct, and to ensure your expenditure roughly tallies up with what was mentioned during interview. It can be a default requirement in certain circumstances also, such as high loan amounts, or high loan to value amounts, or with some lenders, in every occasion.
    • Rodis33
    • By Rodis33 17th Mar 17, 11:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rodis33
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:47 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:47 PM
    That's great, thank you. I had a bit of an erratic month expenditure-wise so was worried it might affect or they might question my account handling, but don't see why it should?
    • Futuristic
    • By Futuristic 18th Mar 17, 12:55 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Futuristic
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:55 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:55 AM
    That's great, thank you. I had a bit of an erratic month expenditure-wise so was worried it might affect or they might question my account handling, but don't see why it should?
    Originally posted by Rodis33
    They usually ask for 3 months and it should be fine, worse case they'll ask for 6 months but again shouldn't be a issue. I maxed out my credit card and it was showing on my file but they didn't question it as other months was low and repaid on time.
    • Rodis33
    • By Rodis33 18th Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rodis33
    • 18th Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    Thank you. I just didn't want them to start unpicking everything because I had an unusually expensive month (within reason) and they cause me a problem as a result of it.
    • GlamGirlie
    • By GlamGirlie 18th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    GlamGirlie
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    Hi, no they won't pick it all apart, they look at general spending and affordability, eg if you say on your application your food is £200/m but you actually spend £600, and your car/fuel bills are £200 but you actually spend £500, then you're spending a lot more than you declared on the application and this might affect affordabilty.

They will also be looking at gambling type transactions, and to check you haven't got a load of undeclared transactions eg mortgage, coucnil tax and utility bills for a property you 'forgot to mention' or child maintenance bills you 'forgot' to declare on the application!
    I am employed as a manager in a financial services institution. My views are entirely my own.
    • Rodis33
    • By Rodis33 18th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rodis33
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:41 PM
    Thanks. That all makes sense. I guess it's the possible undeclared stuff that they need to be sure of. But we don't have those worries thankfully. At the moment we have a lot of disposable income which is why I had a month of high spend, but it was just before going on holiday and had a few PayPal transactions which actually is another point, do I need to justify those too, or will they just accept them as they are?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,401Posts Today

9,519Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin