Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 17th Mar 17, 10:14 PM
    • 712Posts
    • 454Thanks
    kilby_007
    Estate Agents Manipulating Rightmove - Legal?
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:14 PM
    Estate Agents Manipulating Rightmove - Legal? 17th Mar 17 at 10:14 PM
    I'm a rightmove addict. I have a couple of searches set up which I leave up on my laptop and phone and refresh every half hour or so. Earlier I caught a local EA in the act of manipulating the system by "reducing" a property by £10K only to bump the price back up again 10 mins later. This bumped the property to the top of the list and it also still has the "reduced" badge and came up in my daily email digest as such.

Is this legal? Saying a property has been reduced when it hasn't?
Page 1
    • melstar11
    • By melstar11 17th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    melstar11
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    You don't think it was just a mistake then? How on earth would you prove it was deliberate?
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 17th Mar 17, 11:10 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    kilby_007
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:10 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:10 PM
    You don't think it was just a mistake then? How on earth would you prove it was deliberate?
    Originally posted by melstar11
    I'm certain it was deliberate. The property has been marketed since October and they're just bumping it to the top of the listings and making buyers think it's been reduced when it hasn't. I've seen it happen before with the same agent (a "reduced" tag when the property is the same price it always was) but this is the first time I've actually seen any evidence of the reduced price before it was quickly put back to its original price. I have property bee and I can see that they didn't log in to make any other changes than the asking price manipulation.

Anyway that wasn't the question, the question was is it legal?
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th Mar 17, 11:11 PM
    • 9,080 Posts
    • 11,358 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:11 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:11 PM
    I'm also a RM addict but haven't noticed this. Reckon it was just a mistake otherwise they would reduce it by a penny or something. They probably did it to the wrong property.

If you're suspicious, keep alerts on all that EA's properties and see if it's something they do regularly or if it was indeed a one-off.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th Mar 17, 11:14 PM
    • 9,080 Posts
    • 11,358 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:14 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:14 PM
    We cross-posted. I think you've answered my question re them doing it before. I can't see how it would be 'illegal', and I don't get why they don't just make a change to the listing or reduce it by a pound or penny or something if they want to bump it to those with new alerts set.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms
    • Miss Samantha
    • By Miss Samantha 17th Mar 17, 11:24 PM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    Miss Samantha
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:24 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 11:24 PM
    What is the problem, though?

At the end of the day you offer what you are happy to pay.
    • melstar11
    • By melstar11 18th Mar 17, 5:55 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    melstar11
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:55 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 5:55 AM
    How many people actually trust estate agents though? People who are seriously looking will not get taken in by such tactics as there are various ways of tracking listings and a house is worth what someone will pay for it. If you are that bothered, complain to Rightmove.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 18th Mar 17, 6:51 AM
    • 12,516 Posts
    • 34,188 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:51 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:51 AM
    Probably (make that almost certainly) legal.

If it was a property I was interested in - I would be just so inclined to give the EA a ring and say "I'm interested in property x - but I would be viewing it on the basis it was the price it was at 10.59am and not the price it was at at 10.49am or back to again at 11.09am"

I just wouldnt be able to resist letting them know that I knew what they were up to.It wouldnt do any good - but it would make me feel better....
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Mar 17, 7:12 AM
    • 22,344 Posts
    • 86,952 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:12 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 7:12 AM
    If it's deliberate and it works, I'd call it creativity and give them a pat on the back.

OTOH, it could be that things are really slow in their office, as a busy agent will have many more important things to do than this.
    Working subliminally.
    • Miss Samantha
    • By Miss Samantha 18th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    Miss Samantha
    When you market a house on a website you obviously want it to appear at the top of the listing.

Those websites have algorithms to decide which properties go at the top, e.g. the newest ones, or the ones with a price change, so the 'game' is to understand how that works and to try to use it to your advantage.

So people make a big fuss about it, and are even trying to make some of it illegal, but I really don't see what it so bad about it.
    It's like in the old days of message/ad boards: When you came to display your little ad you put it in front of older ones, then if others did that to you you would swap ads back, right? Well, it's just the digital version.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Mar 17, 10:14 AM
    • 39,605 Posts
    • 45,099 Thanks
    G_M
    What happens when you do a google search (on anything)? What determines which order the search results appear in? Why is this any different?

And why does it matter?

Any serious buyer will look at more than just the 1st (few) properties listed. No one (sensible) spends £X00,000 without looking at all the options.

As for the price change, again - so what? What matters is what a buyer is prepared to pay, and what a seller is prepared to accept. That meeting of the minds happens (usually!) after viewings, based on the property, not on a Rightmove ad.
    • kilby_007
    • By kilby_007 18th Mar 17, 10:29 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    kilby_007
    Ok so it was a mistake, they've re-reduced it today!
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 18th Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 5,025 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    It could even be the vendor aid they wanted it reduced, then called the EA back to change their mind and have thought about it more overnight and decided to go with the reduction.
    • peter we
    • By peter we 17th Jun 17, 7:30 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    peter we
    Is this legal? Saying a property has been reduced when it hasn't?
    No, its not legal. Portal juggling is at worst fraud, and the EA can be prosecuted by Trading Standards

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/27/boost-for-home-buyers-as-portal-juggling-scam-which-inflates-pri/

http://www.propertyportalwatch.com/portal-juggling-ruled-illegal-uk/

http://www.nationaltradingstandards.uk/news/estate-agents-warned-over-portal-juggling/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,788Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Dimbleby becomes the Dimblebomb and kicks someone out. Question time getting rad #bbqt

• Follow Martin