Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • actionmainly
    • By actionmainly 17th Mar 17, 7:33 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    actionmainly
    Mis-sold solar panel reclaiming fees
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:33 PM
    Mis-sold solar panel reclaiming fees 17th Mar 17 at 7:33 PM
    Hello,

Just looking to see if anyone has any experience with mis-sold solar panel re-claiming. I have been in contact with a company TLW Solicitors who deal with such claims. Irrespective of the validity of my claim, I was looking to get anyone's opinion/experience of the no win no fee offer.

I have a 10 year finance deal with the total amount of credit costing £17,058. I am just about half way through paying for this. The basis of my claim is due to pressure selling and being told that the panels would be self funding when in fact the closest they have came to being self funding in 5 years is about £50 short for a quarter and as much as £400 short during winter. Never have the panels actually been self funding.

That aside the company TLW state that they take 30% of any amount of cash sum or financial benefit won in a successful claim plus VAT. Assuming a cash sum was awarded then that would be fine because they just deduct the 30% from the total amount won. Its the "financial benefit" bit that I am concerned about. In a worst case scenario where the finance company only agree to cancel my remaining finance and do not offer any compensation for the amount paid thus far and given that I am half way though my agreement and still owe £8529 that would mean I owe the solicitors 30% of that plus VAT which comes to around £3000. That would of course be a hefty bill and I am just wondering first if anyone has had a similar experience or have I likely got this completely wrong?

I'm beginning to think the re-claiming is as big as scam as the mis-selling?
    Last edited by actionmainly; 17-03-2017 at 7:34 PM. Reason: typo
Page 2
    • Carlos P
    • By Carlos P 28th Nov 17, 3:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Carlos P
    Hi, I've just found this forum after googling 'Mis Sold Solar' as I was contacted by a company called Reclaim Solar in April 2015. They said I may have been Mis Sold my solar panels (not sure how they got my number?).The solar panels, which have not performed too badly but do produce less than I was promised by the salesman were paid for on my credit card and they said I may have a claim. I paid £99 for a survey on my home and was told I did have a case. Since then I've had no communication. I looked at their website and it says the cases are now being dealt with by High Street Solicitors in Liverpool! I've contacted them but they said that all the cases were being held up by FOZ?. Has anybody else had dealings with Reclaim Solar? I feel like I've been had for £99!
    • Tavish45
    • By Tavish45 23rd Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tavish45
    Solar Panels
    HI,

I installed solar panels back in 2014.

I was sold these by a company that has gone into liquidation however during the process of being sold these I was informed from there sales man that,
    1) It would at least pay for them selves on a quarterly basis, which equates to £104 per month x 3 so get £312 back from feed in tarrif.
    The most I have had for a quarter is £121
    2) They would reduce my electric bill by about 1/2.
    Looking through my electric bills from records show I might have saved £5 a month in total.
    3) They will pay for themselves in 10 years and are good for 20 years.
    At the moment I might get my money back ie, pay for them selves by the 2100 as mostly I get back is £10-30 a quarter.
    4) I took out a credit agreement with a high street bank which the company provided an agreement.
    I have contacted the bank in concern stating that I was miss sold the panels and what I was promised from the company. This was over 2 years ago, after 1 year of getting no where I contacted the Finance Omnibus and gave them do deal with it. Now after 14months of waiting with 2 e-mails stating they are getting all the facts together. I'm still waiting and paying for something that doesn't work.

Has anyone else contacted the Finance omnibus about this matter and had a responce from them? How long did it take? Have you recieved any money back or did the bank stop taking the money?
    • Oke
    • By Oke 31st Jan 18, 4:54 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Oke
    miss-sold solar panels
    Hello and please bear with me.
    Last December I agreed with the solar panels sales man that the instalation was going to be before the 21st of Dec 2017. When this was not possible we agreed not to pursue the matter any further Later on he came back to me with a higher capcity panels and i agreed.
    To cut a long story short, I was assured that i was going to use more than 50% of what the panels generated. I was offered quotes for 14, 12, 11 panels and he asked me how much I can afford to spend and I gave him a figure. The sales pitch was about how much room I got on my roof. On that basis, he said that I needed 12 panels and that I'll easily use up more than 50% of what i generated and I'll get paid 5.03p x 50% of what I produced. The rationale was that if I exported 0%, say, I'll still be paid for 50% . I must confess that I did not do my homework properly and I feel sad about it. I trusted this chap. Any road he did some calculation and came up with the idea that my usage was 2850kWh per annum. I now know how this was calculated. Now this figure of 2850kWh included night time when electricity is not generated by the panels, i.e. no sunshine at night in the English midlands. I export far far more than 50%; yesterday I exported 80%, (in January), of what I generated. I asked for a an export meter on the grounds that I was misled and this was refused. At the very least, there calculation should have been based on 1425kWh since nothing is generated during night time. To make matters worse, I told them that they overestimated my annual usage which was about 2330kWh. Their reply was that that 2850was not that far off from 2330kWh.. It does matter because my tqriffis 12.5pa kWH sothat makes a differnce of 12.5 x 5 about £62.50 ifyou think about it. The point I am making is that they do not care a damn.
    Something else, when I use energy generated by my panels, somehow it is counted as import and my suppliers who are not the installers charge me for that because, quite rightly,, that's what the meter says. My installers, one of the big 6, says it's not their fault.
    This is just part of the story. By my calculation I needed 6 and certainly not more than 8 panels. I am just preparing a youtube video on this matter.
    Oh there is more. I submitted my FIT application 6 days after the installation but the application was rejected because FIT applies from the day they received the application. So I have lost 6 days of FIT. The installers, one of the big 6, did not tell me that I should have applied straight away in fact they were also puzzled. I could have sent an incomplete FIT application on the the day of the installation. that woild have been rejected but I would have registered on the day of the installation.
    Have I got a case for miss-selling? I am quite happy to accept an export meter or battery if offered.I am retired and don't have any spare cash unfortunately and do not wish to borrow. The installation is suspect or I need a smart meter that takes into account how much of what use at any gven time is from the panels. They will not do that either. So,I am losing whichever way.
    Thank you for reading this far
    • Embobby
    • By Embobby 6th Feb 18, 2:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Embobby
    HI,

I installed solar panels back in 2014.

I was sold these by a company that has gone into liquidation however during the process of being sold these I was informed from there sales man that,
    1) It would at least pay for them selves on a quarterly basis, which equates to £104 per month x 3 so get £312 back from feed in tarrif.
    The most I have had for a quarter is £121
    2) They would reduce my electric bill by about 1/2.
    Looking through my electric bills from records show I might have saved £5 a month in total.
    3) They will pay for themselves in 10 years and are good for 20 years.
    At the moment I might get my money back ie, pay for them selves by the 2100 as mostly I get back is £10-30 a quarter.
    4) I took out a credit agreement with a high street bank which the company provided an agreement.
    I have contacted the bank in concern stating that I was miss sold the panels and what I was promised from the company. This was over 2 years ago, after 1 year of getting no where I contacted the Finance Omnibus and gave them do deal with it. Now after 14months of waiting with 2 e-mails stating they are getting all the facts together. I'm still waiting and paying for something that doesn't work.

Has anyone else contacted the Finance omnibus about this matter and had a responce from them? How long did it take? Have you recieved any money back or did the bank stop taking the money?
    Originally posted by Tavish45

Hi , I Have currently got a complaint with the FO and I also still have no reply. There response when I ask is they are currently looking for a fair and consistent way to deal with these cases. Like you I am currently out of pocket as the salesman stated the cost of the finance would be covered by the FIT payments and saving on electricity neither is true.

When I complained to Shawbrook Bank who my finance is with they just said you must have installed something that has stopped you saving or you have a faulty meter . However both my meters where changed and 2 children left home,

I would advise anyone to not purchase solar panels a big con !!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,045Posts Today

9,129Users online

Martin's Twitter