Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • i3lade4life
    • By i3lade4life 17th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 0Thanks
    i3lade4life
    LG TV fault Returns?
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    LG TV fault Returns? 17th Mar 17 at 6:38 PM
    Today I noticed that my 10 week old LG 49UH668V was leaning forward slightly. Once I had a look at it I noticed something was wrong with the neck and the stand. When I have unscrewed the stand from the neck it turns out that the plastic on the neck was shattering. I rang Currys and they said they can send a replacement neck out but could take up to 7 days. I am not totally confident that this wouldn't happen again with a replacement neck and with a toddler in the house I cannot afford to risk it happening again.
    Does anybody know what my rights are for returning this?
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 17th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    • 4,666 Posts
    • 9,338 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    You don't have a right to return it. They can offer a repair which they are doing.

If you are concerned, secure it in another way (wall mounts, attach to wall with anchors)

Keep an eye on it. If it starts cracking again you can ask for a return.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 18th Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    • 3,112 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    Today I noticed that my 10 week old LG 49UH668V was leaning forward slightly. Once I had a look at it I noticed something was wrong with the neck and the stand. When I have unscrewed the stand from the neck it turns out that the plastic on the neck was shattering. I rang Currys and they said they can send a replacement neck out but could take up to 7 days. I am not totally confident that this wouldn't happen again with a replacement neck and with a toddler in the house I cannot afford to risk it happening again.
    Does anybody know what my rights are for returning this?
    Originally posted by i3lade4life
    Sorry, but does that roughly translate as "my toddler broke the new TV" because it sounds very much like it?

If that is the case then you don't have a right to a free repair or replacement at all! If I were you I would accept their offer, be grateful and take steps to protect it from getting damaged again.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 18th Mar 17, 11:03 AM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 5,451 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:03 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:03 AM
    Sorry, but does that roughly translate as "my toddler broke the new TV" because it sounds very much like it?

If that is the case then you don't have a right to a free repair or replacement at all! If I were you I would accept their offer, be grateful and take steps to protect it from getting damaged again.
    Originally posted by Undervalued
    It doesn't sound like the toddler broke the TV at all, it sounds like concern that the tv could topple over and hurt the toddler or that one small bump could snap the neck completely.

It is worth considering though that the plastic cracking in a shattering pattern can be caused by the screws originally being screwed in too tightly and the force has become too much over the weeks causing a weakness.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 18th Mar 17, 11:39 AM
    • 10,014 Posts
    • 7,000 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:39 AM
    • 18th Mar 17, 11:39 AM
    I agree with the above. I don't see this as a design issue, there's no reason a replacement TV would do the same else there'd be evidence of this all over the net. More likely when the stand was installed the screws have been over tightened.
    • bris
    • By bris 18th Mar 17, 12:49 PM
    • 6,829 Posts
    • 5,855 Thanks
    bris
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:49 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 12:49 PM
    Toddlers and TV's don't mix, they have a tendency to get up close and personal with the screen and try to cuddle their favourite characters, this leads to rocking the screen back and forward, just be careful as they have been knowing to topple screens over onto themselves.

This would explain the sudden demise of the kneck, secure it another way.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 18th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 3,112 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    Toddlers and TV's don't mix, they have a tendency to get up close and personal with the screen and try to cuddle their favourite characters, this leads to rocking the screen back and forward, just be careful as they have been knowing to topple screens over onto themselves.

This would explain the sudden demise of the kneck, secure it another way.
    Originally posted by bris
    Exactly!.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

71Posts Today

2,116Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin